Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
aussiedave87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Is it normal for water to be inside the door frame?

I was doing a BavSound stage 1 upgrade and when I removed the interior door trim and speaker I found water inside the door frame. There was water on the old rear of the HK speaker i removed.

1 hour prior there was a very large storm. No flooding near the car but a lot of rain. All window up etc.

Is this normal? Especially the part about the HK speaker having water on the rear?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Unixed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 - M3

I have noticed that after I wash my car and I let more than 24 hours laps, if I roll down the window and up again, water streaks still appear on the window.

It drives me nuts whenever I forget not to roll my window down.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
aussiedave87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Good point. Probably completely normal. It was just a bit shocking to see the speaker with water on the back but it must be OK as some water has to get in there as the window can not be 100% sealed. I guess the rear side of the speaker must be protected as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

That is completely normal. If it rains or you wash the car. Water runs down the glass into the door past the belt molding that touches the glass. It then goes into the door. All of the doors have drains and drain to the outside of the vehicle. The foam piece in your picture is called a vapor barrier. If it is removed or not adhered properly more towards the bottom of the door, that is when water will actually enter the vehicle if enough gets in there.

In your case, completely normal. You are fine.
Appreciate 0