E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Meguiar's G110 Dual Action Polisher

02-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Meguiar's G110 Dual Action Polisher

My gf just got me one for my bday. Have yet to use it and was more curious on your thoughts, opinions from those who may have already used one.

Prior to receiving this, I was going to pick up the tried and true PC 7424.
      05-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Bump, anyone use it yet, success, fail?

Anyone?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
was more curious on your thoughts, opinions from those who may have already used one.
i dont' have one but maybe you can answer your question by comparing the specs of that machine to the Flex and PC:

from what i've read the PC has 6 speeds with OPM rates of: 2300, 2350, 2600, 3280, 4780, 6000.

the Flex 3401 has 6 speeds with OPM rates: 3200, 4000, 5400, 6600, 8000, 9600.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
A quick Google for this model, and it looks fine to me. It looks like a PC 7424 equivalent.

BTW, the biggest difference IMO between this or a PC 7424 versus the Flex 3401 or a Makita RO is the latter two have forced rotation. With a dual action polisher, the pad moves in a random orbital and also rotates. With forced rotation, even with a good amount of pressure, the rotation of the pad does not stop (on the PC, it will). The motor has to be strong to make this work. So you can heat up panels more and do more correction with them versus a PC. It acts like a rotary in that sense, just not as fast as a rotary. The Flex RPMs are so much lower than a rotary, it doesn't correct as quickly but you are very unlikely to burn the paint with it.
      05-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep

I put one on order so I'll report back.

From what I have seen on the Flex and similar is that those bad boys are for serious correction and you are right, you can't "stall" them. Good for some, bad for others. Depends how aggressive you get. I fear doing more damage than good so I'll bow down to those who use those bad boys.

I'll report back on my findings. It may be no better than my other older Megs DA, we'll see. It is supposed to have more power.

Thx all.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Flex isn't dangerous, I'm sure with negligence you could burn paint, but I would imagine it would take holding it in a spot for a very long time. I believe that the difference between the "safety" of using th flex vs. the rotary isn't the rpms, but it's because the rotary moves in a circular motion, and the flex moves in an orbit like a PC. Therefore the flex doesn't contact with the same exact area for a long amount of time, leading to less heat. With a rotary you have it moving only in a circular pattern so the entire contact area of the pad is generating heat the entire time the pad is in contact with it in that spot.

Rotary polishers are actually safer than many may think, adhering to a few simple rules will keep you from burning paint. On practice panels I actually found it quite difficult to burn the paint intentionally unless I was using a stiff foam pad. However on plastic parts like bumpers you do have to be much more careful with the rotary as they warp/burn much easier because the plastic doesn't dissipate the heat as well as the metal.

However, starting out with a RO is definitely the smart choice, and with new powerful ones like the flex out, many can get great results without using a rotary.
      05-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Flex isn't dangerous
i agree, on a test section i left my Flex in one area at speed 6 for an extended period of time with no ill effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
the rotary as plastic will warp/burn much easier because the plastic doesn't dissipate the heat as well as the metal.
even with a Flex this is true, a post on another forum had pictures where a guy melted part of a VW bumper b/c he was 'attacking' a particularly stubborn spot.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by haper View Post
i agree, on a test section i left my Flex in one area at speed 6 for an extended period of time with no ill effects.
That's good to know, I'm sure it will give some beginners more confidence to go with the flex because it is a superior machine to the PC and will allow better results for sure, while still doing so safely. I haven't had a chance to use a flex yet however I'd like to get one in the future perhaps when smaller backing plates become available, as it is will be safer for those hard to reach areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haper View Post
even with a Flex this is true, a post on another forum had pictures where a guy melted part of a VW bumper b/c he was 'attacking' a particularly stubborn spot.
Good point, it is important to realize that there are limitations with every machine, and some defects are too deep to be removed. It is when when we focus on a spot too much that we can end up doing some type of damage.
      05-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

You CAN burn the paint with the flex. See the following link:

http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...very-long.html

ZSP/ZPP/CWP/Navi/Sirius/iPod/CA

20% tint/Blacklines/OEM spoiler/OEM style splitters
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

look at all my details, you can get GREAT results with the XC3401VRG. it's what i use!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep

Reporting Back.

I used the new G110 over past two days days on my 335 and noticed a few things.

1) Less noise. It is definitly quieter than my previous G100

2) More power. Drives the pads better, less slowing and it feels like you can really work it harder to get more out of each application

3) Heavier. Way heavier than my G100. My shoulders were killing me after working the side panels. Not sure how you guys you guys do this for a living.

4) Better handle. The new handle allows you to apply pressure easier and is more comfortable. You don't feel like you are reaching like the previous G100.

Overall I am happy with it, but I ordered a Flex anyhow. I found that the G100 never had the power to remove RDS and the G110 is a little better but still not perfect. I am hoping the Flex and some better pads is the solution.

Glenn
Appreciate 0