THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sad sad day for my M235

06-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235

Sad sad day for my M235

Dear fellow 2 series enthusiasts,

This is my second post on the forums and first time BMW owner (so please excuse my ignorance in some matters and bear with me).
During Memorial Day weekend, a friend of mine and I went to drive the three sisters outside of Austin (amazing road by the way). It was during the latest event of Texas flooding but at the time, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping.
On the way back to Austin, we crossed a steady stream of water. It was about 10 inches deep. Taking her easy, the car crossed the stream no problem.
10 miles down the road, another stream of water, this time 20-inch deep. Seeing how the car is not a 6x6 G wagon, I turned around and went back the other way.
Crossing the first stream a second time (no problem right……wrong), the car stalled in the middle. I expected the worst instantly.
As I tried to troubleshoot the issue, I noticed water inside the air box. I knew it was very very bad. To make things worst, the water level was going up. Fearing the car would be swept away or worst yet, water coming inside the vehicle, I took the help of some locals and dragged the car 50 feet out of harms way (in park, the car would not allow me to take it out of park. YAY BMW).
Long story short, car was towed to BMW Austin where they found no compression in piston 4. Thank god for comprehensive coverage, the insurance is going to pay for all repairs including a new short block and anything else they find wrong.
I had a couple of questions for the BMW gurus online:
1) Dragging in car in park is obviously not good. The wheels were locked for the first little bit then transitioned into rolling for a bit and locking again, anyone has experience with this? Mechanic checked for water in transmission, found none.
2) Does anyone recommend BMW of Austin to rebuild an engine or can stand behind their work quality. Just by dealing with my service advisor, I can tell you he is very professional and knowledgeable.
3) What other damage do I need to be considering (keep in mind that the water did not even touch the bottom of the front fender) – all systems work in the car (ignition, radio, lights, etc) but the engine
4) Dealer would like to check the turbo visually before ordering a replacement. I was under the impression that once water hits the compressor wheel, it is done (game over). Am I wrong?
5) Last but not least, BMW says that once all the work is done and they give their blessing, warranty is still intact and all their work is guaranteed. Assuming all systems go with the replacement engine (turbo, etc), what does this type of situation do to the value of the car?

Last edited by OmarK; 06-06-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Curious, how did water get in the airbox? It's not like it has a scoop from the bottom of the car. Just a bit confused.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt View Post
Curious, how did water get in the airbox? It's not like it has a scoop from the bottom of the car. Just a bit confused.
I have no idea, i know the duct to the airbox is behind the right hand side BMW grill. The only thing that crossed my mind is that i have the cold weather package and i know that the airbox has a flap. I wonder if the flap is connected to another duct (maybe lower on the fender somewhere).

Also, i failed to mention (sorry i forgot), that a car coming the other way created a wake but from the people that were there, they mentioned that the water never got above the fender.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

When you see a wake coming always turn the engine off before it hits your car. It only needs a little amount of water to course problems. You could have let the car wash away and got a new car under insurance.
      06-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Labor Day weekend...so this happened nearly a year ago?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Labor Day weekend...so this happened nearly a year ago?
Sorry, my bad, memorial day weekend (two weeks ago)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I'm very curious as to what caused cylinder 4 to go flat (no compression). What part/s were damaged and why. And why weren't the remaining 5 cylinders not affected.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My deepest sympathies Omark.

I would feel good that BMW said they would stand behind the car until your warranty is up. Far as value, who knows? It's going to look bad on CarFax if it says flood damage. If you trade it in soon though, I would think the dealer would give you the same price as if it hadn't been damaged.

In any case, just curious - was there an opportunity to turn around and go some other way? I mean I wouldn't drive my worst beater car through a foot of water, let alone 20 inches... an X5 might be made for that, but not a 2 Series.
      06-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14

In any case, just curious - was there an opportunity to turn around and go some other way? I mean I wouldn't drive my worst beater car through a foot of water, let alone 20 inches... an X5 might be made for that, but not a 2 Series.
You started to sound like my dad when I was a teenager
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
My deepest sympathies Omark.

I would feel good that BMW said they would stand behind the car until your warranty is up. Far as value, who knows? It's going to look bad on CarFax if it says flood damage. If you trade it in soon though, I would think the dealer would give you the same price as if it hadn't been damaged.

The car was driving in 10 inches. But yeah, in retrospect, i regret it very much. It hurts. not going to lie.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:32 AM   #11
kevinaaa2gundam
Rep
Drives: 228i

That really sucks. If it makes you feel any better you weren't the only 2 to be knocked out by the storms. I hit a downed branch durning the storms & my 228i will now be out of service for the next 2-3 weeks while it waits for parts to come in from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaaa2gundam View Post
That really sucks. If it makes you feel any better you weren't the only 2 to be knocked out by the storms. I hit a downed branch durning the storms & my 228i will now be out of service for the next 2-3 weeks while it waits for parts to come in from Germany.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you and your passengers are fine. At least the cars will have each others company at the dealership
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Sorry to hear about this, hope the problems are resolved quickly. I would certainly stick with BMW dealer for the repair, just in case that isn't obvious. I would hope that they can return the car to like new. Its definitely reassuring that they are willing to maintain the warranty. As far as resale value I don't think there is anything worse, maybe a fire, that could happen to the car from a potential buyer's perspective. The way you explained it, the next owner may get a great deal, but a deal nonetheless. My car suffered purely cosmetic damage requiring replacement of the passenger quarter panel. I tried to get out of the car and found out that the car was almost 8k under the expected value. So a car that I love and planned to purchase at lease end is now an easy decision to just return. I hope you find a suitable solution its truly a shame, but it seems like your insurance is willing to take care of you. I'm sure there have been countless similar claims in the area and maybe you will get some better relief. Good luck to you.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarK View Post
Dear fellow 2 series enthusiasts,

This is my second post on the forums and first time BMW owner (so please excuse my ignorance in some matters and bear with me).
During Memorial Day weekend, a friend of mine and I went to drive the three sisters outside of Austin (amazing road by the way). It was during the latest event of Texas flooding but at the time, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping.
On the way back to Austin, we crossed a steady stream of water. It was about 10 inches deep. Taking her easy, the car crossed the stream no problem.
10 miles down the road, another stream of water, this time 20-inch deep. Seeing how the car is not a 6x6 G wagon, I turned around and went back the other way.
Crossing the first stream a second time (no problem right……wrong), the car stalled in the middle. I expected the worst instantly.
As I tried to troubleshoot the issue, I noticed water inside the air box. I knew it was very very bad. To make things worst, the water level was going up. Fearing the car would be swept away or worst yet, water coming inside the vehicle, I took the help of some locals and dragged the car 50 feet out of harms way (in park, the car would not allow me to take it out of park. YAY BMW).
Long story short, car was towed to BMW Austin where they found no compression in piston 4. Thank god for comprehensive coverage, the insurance is going to pay for all repairs including a new short block and anything else they find wrong.
Dude ... just be thankful that you weren't in a house in Wimberley during all that (sic ... RIP) AND that you've got good insurance. A flood is no joking matter. It's more dangerous than pretty much any other natural catastrophe because you don't really realize what it is until it's way too late. Glad you're safe, and trust the dealer to fix your ride back just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
JP Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235 Auto AW/Red H/K

Good to hear you are all fine,
I would wait for the final list of the damaged parts and labor that would take to repair it (maybe a greater part of the engine, some carpeting/leather... who knows?) in terms of money.
It may take some much money to repair (55-60%+ of the value of the car) at the dealer that your insurance might call it totalled!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

Never drivw thru puddles more than few inches deep. Impatience always gets ya.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys for all the feedback and happy thoughts. Well i went to the dealership today and picked up Heidi (the car). She is purring with the new engine and repairs. So far so good. Total bill: 19 628 USD. Thank god for comprehensive insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarK View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback and happy thoughts. Well i went to the dealership today and picked up Heidi (the car). She is purring with the new engine and repairs. So far so good. Total bill: 19 628 USD. Thank god for comprehensive insurance.
Wow, thats quite a tab. Good to hear that you got the car back quickly and sounds like its running well.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Glad that it all ended well for you (and Heidi).