EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
dailym3
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
M3 torture test

I took delivery of my M3 on May 1st, quickly put my 1200 break in miles on it, had the service done, and hit the track this past Saturday. The car had 1600 miles on it by that point. The track was the new 5 mile course at Thunder Hill in Northern CA. It was HOT. By the time I did my last run, it registered 99 degrees on the cars thermometer. I can say that this car's cooling system holds up remarkably well. Never a hint of overheating. The car seemed to make consistent power throughout the day as well. I could tell during the last run, at around 4:30pm, heat of the day, that the tires and brakes (standard, not CC) were near their limits. The tires were pretty greasy feeling, and the brakes were getting a bit squishy with more pedal travel.

What a fantastic all around car. I am so impressed with how BMW has made a car that is just spot on for daily driving, track duty, and everything in between. I would love a menu item that would display oil temps for the engine, trans, and diff. Oh yeah, and boost too!
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Yes, the cooling systems on the car are amazing. The gage in the dash is oil temp, not water temp (I was mistaken too).
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Nice write up, any photos from the event? You should record your track days on a go pro
      06-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
dailym3
Private
Rep

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
oh really? ok, cool. I thought water temp too

Also, I meant to add, totally understand what everyone says about the stability system being much too intrusive. The light was flashing on my dash halfway down the main straight! I hit the button and tried MDM mode and that made all the difference in the world. Much better driving experience. I don't think I'm experienced enough to go all systems off just yet. I would definitely recommend MDM though for any kind of track driving rather than keeping everything on.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
dailym3
Private
Rep

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Nice write up, any photos from the event? You should record your track days on a go pro
Yes, I need to get a Go Pro. Next on my list.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailym3 View Post
I took delivery of my M3 on May 1st, quickly put my 1200 break in miles on it, had the service done, and hit the track this past Saturday. The car had 1600 miles on it by that point. The track was the new 5 mile course at Thunder Hill in Northern CA. It was HOT. By the time I did my last run, it registered 99 degrees on the cars thermometer. I can say that this car's cooling system holds up remarkably well. Never a hint of overheating. The car seemed to make consistent power throughout the day as well. I could tell during the last run, at around 4:30pm, heat of the day, that the tires and brakes (standard, not CC) were near their limits. The tires were pretty greasy feeling, and the brakes were getting a bit squishy with more pedal travel.

What a fantastic all around car. I am so impressed with how BMW has made a car that is just spot on for daily driving, track duty, and everything in between. I would love a menu item that would display oil temps for the engine, trans, and diff. Oh yeah, and boost too!
Which M3 were you in? I think I remember seeing at least 3 M3s out there (Austin Yellow, Sakhir, Yas Marina ...) I was in the 1M.

I'm curious to know what kind of oil temps you were seeing out there? I'd like to get a sense of comparison between that and what I was seeing in my own car...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
dailym3
Private
Rep

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Which M3 were you in? I think I remember seeing at least 3 M3s out there (Austin Yellow, Sakhir, Yas Marina ...) I was in the 1M.

I'm curious to know what kind of oil temps you were seeing out there? I'd like to get a sense of comparison between that and what I was seeing in my own car...
Oh hey, I think we chatted briefly. Your friend was in the GT3 right? I was in the Sakhir Orange M3. So now knowing that the gauge on the dash is oil temp, it never even hit 250. Stayed amazing cool considering how hot it was out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

5-mile config?!? That would've been amazing on my Duc.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailym3 View Post
Oh hey, I think we chatted briefly. Your friend was in the GT3 right? I was in the Sakhir Orange M3. So now knowing that the gauge on the dash is oil temp, it never even hit 250. Stayed amazing cool considering how hot it was out there.
That's pretty impressive. Great meeting you out there and hope to see you around!
Appreciate 0