THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes For those of you who got rid of EDC

06-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
For those of you who got rid of EDC

For those of you who went for coilovers or some other setup that does not use the BMW EDC system, how did you do this without getting a warning light from the car?

Is there some sort of dummy plug you can use to make the car think it still has adaptive dampers installed? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

When I got my car coded from Frogman, he said you can code it off. He said he did it for someone on 2addicts recently.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper
For those of you who went for coilovers or some other setup that does not use the BMW EDC system, how did you do this without getting a warning light from the car?

Is there some sort of dummy plug you can use to make the car think it still has adaptive dampers installed? Thanks.
+1 interested in this as well!

I've been searching awhile in regards to EDC and not sure how to tell if we have this option or not. Another member did say it was standard on the 235 but I dont recall seeing it on the window sticker?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjosh View Post

I've been searching awhile in regards to EDC and not sure how to tell if we have this option or not. Another member did say it was standard on the 235 but I dont recall seeing it on the window sticker?
it's standard but it's not like on other models where you have a dedicated EDC button.... this one gets bundled into the Sport mode setting
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:

it's standard but it's not like on other models where you have a dedicated EDC button.... this one gets bundled into the Sport mode setting
I see. So does that mean if the shocks are changed we lose the comfort, sports and sports + settings?

Sorry I think I'm confused between EDC vs Adaptive suspension...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I see. So does that mean if the shocks are changed we lose the comfort, sports and sports + settings?

No, you only lose the EDC part.... you still get comfort, sport, sport+ for steering, throttle, transmission

they are pretty much the same thing... adaptive suspension includes... suspension that adapts to the road, so if rough road it will adapt the dampening so it's more comfortable but at the same time it will make dampening stiffer when you go to sport
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:

No, you only lose the EDC part.... you still get comfort, sport, sport+ for steering, throttle, transmission

they are pretty much the same thing... adaptive suspension includes... suspension that adapts to the road, so if rough road it will adapt the dampening so it's more comfortable but at the same time it will make dampening stiffer when you go to sport
Got it. Appreciate you explaining the details!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

Just know once you delete edc, you can't go back to stock. You have to cut and splice wires. Only way of going back is to splice back the module but that is visible (for those worried about warranty)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

Pikachu - do you know the coding lines to do this at home through the software, or does this require something above and beyond?

If we get a suspension without DDC (Like KW V3 DDC), is the module just coded out or does the wiring get modified (cut/capped/etc) and it still needs coding?

I want to move to something like Bilstein B14 or B16 coils, but don't want the car to end up in limp (comfort) mode permanently.
      07-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Pikachu - do you know the coding lines to do this at home through the software, or does this require something above and beyond?

If we get a suspension without DDC (Like KW V3 DDC), is the module just coded out or does the wiring get modified (cut/capped/etc) and it still needs coding?

I want to move to something like Bilstein B14 or B16 coils, but don't want the car to end up in limp (comfort) mode permanently.
I don't... I have seen it advertised in a few places but seems like the coding is not publicly available or it is more of a flash than coding....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
When I got my car coded from Frogman, he said you can code it off. He said he did it for someone on 2addicts recently.
He did mine.
Appreciate 1