THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What is the difference between Sport/Sport+ and S/M?

06-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
challer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

What is the difference between Sport/Sport+ and S/M?

My M235i seems to perform noticeably better when I have the stick over to the left in Sport mode. Sport+ seems to turn DSC off and nothing else.

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
threepac3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Sport

Seems like you've answered your own question.
      06-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
My M235i seems to perform noticeably better when I have the stick over to the left in Sport mode. Sport+ seems to turn DSC off and nothing else.

Am I missing something?
I drive mine in the Sport mode mostly. I haven't tried moving the shift lever to the left, however. I need to try this!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
whoa, you can move it to the left? lol mind blown
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
challer
Private First Class
Rep

May have answered my own question. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Moving the shifter to the left while in Sport seems to change the gear ratios.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

As far as I'm aware, moving the stick to the left puts the transmission into its sport map, which will only have an effect if you do it in either eco pro or comfort. Sport and sport plus already select the sport gear map as part of the mode. Benefit being of course you can see which gear its using whilst the stick is to the left as opposed to just "D".
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

It doesn't do anything to the gear ratios on mine; it puts it in M/T so that I need to use the paddles or sequential shifter to change gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
It doesn't do anything to the gear ratios on mine; it puts it in M/T so that I need to use the paddles or sequential shifter to change gears.
Yeah it doesn't alter ratios, it uses lower gears (hence why the revs climb to about 2k when you knock the stick left) and hangs onto them for longer before shifting up when left in "S" mode. I.E when you move it over and don't touch the paddles at all. It also completely ignores 8th gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
TheBumble
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

So it's not in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Manual transmission is activated -- for cars with this option -- by moving the shifter to the left. If the OP thinks the gear ratios changed when he does this, perhaps it's because he's not shifting at all!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You can use the paddles when the shifter isn't over to the left, just it reverts to auto after a few (around 5) seconds of no paddle input.

If you knock the shifter to the left and DONT touch the paddles you are in Sport transmission "S" mode. S1 is first gear S2 second gear etc etc. In this mode the computer uses lower gears to keep revs up and upshifts for you when revs reach around 5.5 - 6k. It also will down shift for you to prevent stalling. Edit: This is the mode op is using and the use of the lower gears and higher revs is why the car will pull harder then using the eco shift strategy.

If you knock the shifter to the left and DO use the paddles you will be in "M" mode where you must use the paddles to upshift for yourself until the shifter is centred again. The computer will not default back to auto or Sport until stick is centred and/or reapplied to the left. The computer will however downshift still to prevent stalling.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
You can use the paddles when the shifter isn't over to the left, just it reverts to auto after a few (around 5) seconds of no paddle input.

If you knock the shifter to the left and DONT touch the paddles you are in Sport transmission "S" mode. S1 is first gear S2 second gear etc etc. In this mode the computer uses lower gears to keep revs up and upshifts for you when revs reach around 5.5 - 6k. It also will down shift for you to prevent stalling. Edit: This is the mode op is using and the use of the lower gears and higher revs is why the car will pull harder then using the eco shift strategy.

If you knock the shifter to the left and DO use the paddles you will be in "M" mode where you must use the paddles to upshift for yourself until the shifter is centred again. The computer will not default back to auto or Sport until stick is centred and/or reapplied to the left. The computer will however downshift still to prevent stalling.
Thank you, this is very interesting. I cannot recall the car shifting automatically with the shifter knocked to the left but that may well be because I intervened by using paddles so it never reverted to auto, as you mentioned. I must test this right away!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
challer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, moving the stick to the left puts the transmission into its sport map, which will only have an effect if you do it in either eco pro or comfort. Sport and sport plus already select the sport gear map as part of the mode. Benefit being of course you can see which gear its using whilst the stick is to the left as opposed to just "D".
If true, it isn't represented in the dashboard when it shows you what gear you're in. S only appears for me when I move the stick over, even in Sport mode, if I recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Thank you, this is very interesting. I cannot recall the car shifting automatically with the shifter knocked to the left but that may well be because I intervened by using paddles so it never reverted to auto, as you mentioned. I must test this right away!
No worries. I think most people revert straight to using the paddles as it initially seems like the car won't shift for you. It does hang onto the gears for a very long time but there is no risk of doing any damage. If you floor it in sport and lift off straight away the rev hang is immense. It will hover at 6k+ for up to five seconds, but this is because it is a track shift strategy and is anticipating you needing to floor it again out of a corner. It can be best using it for comfort mode as if gives you comfort throttle response and suspension, but sport shifting which can be the most pleasant set up for road use as you can modulate throttle much better if its wet etc. Also if you need to pass someone its useful as stick to the left automatically drops a gear faster than kick down would aiding in initial acceleration.

For best acceleration i believe if you hit the kick down button at the bottom of the throttle travel (in auto) and pull the - shift paddle it will drop you into the lowest gear possible. EG you can travel from 8th gear to 2nd in a faster move than what the kick down alone would do. Haven't yet had a chance to try this though.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If true, it isn't represented in the dashboard when it shows you what gear you're in. S only appears for me when I move the stick over, even in Sport mode, if I recall.
Sorry, i mean the benefit being that if you're in sport or sport plus and move the stick to the left, the car will still shift and drive the same, but instead of just seeing "D" in the instrument cluster you see "S1, S2, S3" etc showing which gear the auto trans is using without you having to use the paddles to get "M1, M2, M3" etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
challer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, i mean the benefit being that if you're in sport or sport plus and move the stick to the left, the car will still shift and drive the same, but instead of just seeing "D" in the instrument cluster you see "S1, S2, S3" etc showing which gear the auto trans is using without you having to use the paddles to get "M1, M2, M3" etc.
Strange. Must be a placebo then!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #17
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Strange. Must be a placebo then!
Well one difference i have noticed is that in normal Sport and Sport + modes the car blips the throttle under moderate to hard breaking for downshifts, but actually seems more relaxed downshifting when stick is to the left.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #18
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Very interesting. I was pretty sure that Sport and Sport + mode engaged the most aggressive gearing with the shifter in its default (to the right) position. I reckon it might be useful in certain conditions to use this gearing with the stick to the left so that the gear selected can be seen on the dash, as there are eight of them so it's not always easy to keep track. A separate mode that hangs onto a gear until 5000 to 6000 rpm would not be useful to me or good for my 4-banger 228i M Sport with THP, especially as I have learned to control throttle input to actuate and/or delay upshifts with some precision, enabling me to shift very aggressively when I want without using paddles. This is my first AT in seventeen years and, boy, have they come a long way! As for using Sport gearing in Comfort mode, I will try that, although I rarely use Comfort because I find the throttle lag, minimal as it is, slightly disconcerting in all but the most placid of driving conditions. Maybe M/T mode dials this out but leaves the suspension at its softer settings.

Last edited by BarryJI; 06-13-2015 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
ckfraser
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (MR)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Sport+ doesn't turn off traction control. It puts on 'Dynamic Traction Control', but really it's pretty similar to the standard setup. Try getting silly with it, and it'll ruin the fun. You're better just turning off TC.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #21
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86
This! What a goofy thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #22
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer

Am I missing something?
Exactly the same on our cars as the car in graph. It's the same system.
Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 5