E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > 3 series audio upgrade - Audison amp and Earthquake subs

02-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

3 series audio upgrade - Audison amp and Earthquake subs

As the title says really.

I have an Audison SRx3 amplifier and 2 Earthquake SW-8 subs for sale.

The amp is a 3 channel designed for front speakers and a sub, it delivers a clean 65wpc into the fronts and wired into the earthquakes will drive the subs with 300watts.
You have complete control over the crossovers so you can send the front speakers everything above 100hz and the subs everything below 100hz.

I have heard this system in another 3 series and it is nothing short of stunning.

The amp also takes a high level input, so install is dead easy, slpics into the front left and right speaker cables at the harness behind the stereo, run some spekaer cable to the amp from the head unit and then run some more back to the harness going back to the speakers.

The sub channel takes the signal from the fronts too, so you then just wire the two earthquakes up seperately, you don't need to get a signal from elsewhere for the sub.

The amp is a couple of weeks old and comes with a receipt and full warranty.

The subs were bought from the States, they cost me £210 delivered and I have just had the tax bill from DHL for £46, so £256. They are also new, but warranty is in New York, but they are speakers and don't go wrong.

I want £350 for the amp and the 2 subs. I would sell the subs seperately at £200, but there really is no better amp for this job without spending silly money.

You could also use the amp to drive the fronts and then put in a dedicated sub if you want to get those 20hz tones.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I might be interested in this, but have a couple of questions:

Can this be fitted to any e90 or would you have to have the Hi Fi speaker option (with wiring for subs under the seats) to start off with?

Any idea how much someone would charge to install this?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Me 2. 350 the lot yeah?

how hard to wire into stock e92 stereo?
      02-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Its to be fitted to a standard stereo

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Ideally you want the the basic speaker upgrade, this makes it all very easy.

You litterally daisy chain the amp between the front speaker cables, so you snip them behind the stereo FL and FR, crimp a couple of bullet connectors on and then run the new cable from the stereo into the amp and then another cable back from the amp into the harness again.
This amp takes a speaker level, so no converters and no sound processors needed.

This will drive the front speakers and the under seat subs.

You then take the under seat subs out and swap the drivers over for the earthquake subs. You would run one cable from the amp to the first sub and then run another short cable from that sub to the other one.
This gives the amp a 2ohm load and plenty of umph for the subs.

I would expect anyone to be able to install it them selves to be honest, it really is very simple, would take about an hour to do the amp and then another couple of hours to do the underseat subs.
The under seat subs apparently drop straight in, all you have to do is put some sealant round the edges to make sure the drivers are airtight, otherwise you loose some lower end bass.

The only bit I think may be tricky is hooking up the speaker cable from one speaker to the next one, I think I would run the cable back along the sill over the rear seat and down the other side rather than trying to run it over the transmission tunnel.

I would expect an installer to maybe charge you for 4 hours install time.

It really is pretty easy though, just sounds daunting.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

This is going to go off to ebay next week.

£300?? that is less than the amp retails for on its own!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
DJP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3s 2020

Assume you sold these, if not let me know..

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I have put the subs in the car now, still have the amp for sale though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
DJP
Private First Class
Rep

Hi,

Might be interested.. I need to do more research. Have an M3 with HiFi upgrade coming, and worried that the step down from current Logic 7 will be too unpleasant.

What 4" speakers did you end up putting in the fronts? Also, why did you not use the Audison amp?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I bought the amp before I got the car, originally I was buying a pre ED 320d touring which had the hi-fi system in it, but it was LeMans Blue and I really didn't want another LeMans blue one after the 335i and kept looking, then a this ED one turned up with the basic system in it and I got offered the Blaupunkt Amp cheap.

Having the Hi-Fi system fitted made putting the Audison in nice and easy, simply use all the cables already going in and out of the amp, having to run all new cables from the standard system made adding it a lot trickier so the plug and play Blaupunkt won.

I went for some DLS R4's this time, I used Damond Audio M6's last time, have to say I prefer the DLS speakers, plus they are only £130 compared with £400 for the Diamonds.
The Diamonds did fit into the stock locations though without modding, which is nice.

I just think the DLS speakers have a warmth to them that other speakers at even 3x the price lack, you can drive them hard and loud and they never sound shrill. Superb for the money. Also they are 89db so they match in with the rest of the system well, and match the earthquakes well. Alot of speakers these days are 91db+ and they just drown out the subs, something you have to consider.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
DJP
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the informed reply!

I think on balance I'm going to get an Alpine PDX5 to drive all the channels, and swap out the stock amp completely. I will check out the DLS speakers, although I really want something that appears completely stock, and will fit invisibly into the existing speaker locations - (looks like your DLS' protrude a little further than existing..)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Unless I'm mistaken, the dls's can be fitted behine the stock grilles, they just require mounting adapters to do so...

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I would think they will fit, just about anyway.
The only problem is the door card has mounting bolts sticking out the back where the stock speakers go, so you would be best to dremmel these away or nice and low to put a small mounting plate on.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
I had the door panel off the E93 the weekend, I think there is a maximum of 41mm before you hit the window from the back of the door panel.

You can get a bit more as Gizze suggests by grinding a bit off.

If you are going to take the door panel off there are 5 screws 4 below the horizontal trim and one inside the door handle

A bad picture of the front speaker in situ.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0