THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 288 M Sport with THP: Dinantronics Performance Tuner Stage 1: Initial impressions

06-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

288 M Sport with THP: Dinantronics Performance Tuner Stage 1: Initial impressions

I went for this Stage 1 tune because I knew I could wring significantly more power and torque from this engine, yet I am never going to track the car (it's my DD and is loaded with too many luxury options) and I live in a very emissions-conscious state. In tuning the car for street use, I felt I needed to stay on the right side of both my dealership for warranty purposes, and of state law, therefore no catless mods, etc., or tunes that are not explicitly legal in CA.

The car is about three months old with 1200 miles on the clock. I had been breaking it in fairly gently while enjoying the eagerness with which it liked to pull at between 3500 and 5500 RPM. In cornering, it felt a little stiff and pushy and there was some body roll under both hard cornering and heavy braking. For this reason, I felt that the car, while being a pretty fierce sports coupe, was built, like almost all other cars, with a certain risk-averse functionality in both suspension and drivetrain. I wanted to dial this out without making the car unstable to drive near the edge or shortening the life of various components via an over-aggressive tune.

I was inclined towards Dinan because there is an exceptionally well-regarded BMW performance shop in my neighborhood whose techs understand the difference between the needs of clients who want enhanced road performance and those who want to tune the car for competition. They are also one of the top Dinan licencees in the US. I knew I would have more confidence in their installation know-how than that of my BMW dealership, which I would trust for all warranty work and servicing but not performance tweaks like this.

First I got the Dinan Shockware mod (currently available for the 228i but not the M235), which, I felt, addressed at least 95% of the suspension issues by altering the shock absorber algorithms so that the car felt much more planted in Sport and Sport + mode, cornered flatter and did not skip or bounce at all under load.

I still wanted more power and more torque, however, so I get the Dinantronics Performance Tuner Stage 1 a few days ago. I love it so far, as it is trouble-free, throwing no error codes, civilized in that it does not affect the comfortable experience of driving the car in heavy traffic when you have to and, most importantly, without any doubt it makes an already quick car significantly quicker still without changing its essential character. Here are my observations, FWTW, in more detail:

- The car "breathes" easier now, and seems to rev more freely. It takes a lot less of a kick down on the throttle to send it up to 6000 rpm and the power comes in very smoothly and plentifully. The extra torque really propels the car and my gut (sorry, I do not have data) tells me that it now does 0 to 60 mph in about 4.6 sec vs the stock 4.9 (8AT), possibly even 4.5 driven hell-for-leather with a perfect, hyper-aggressive launch.

- It's strange but true that there are two engines available in the 228i, the N20 and the N26. I felt a little short-changed when, on their web page for this product, Dinan announced that the N26 I have puts out less power at peak RPM because of its emissions-enhanced catalytic converter so their numbers for the effect of the tune on the N26 are lower than those for the N20. Nevertheless, the HP and torque boosts are significant and, in performance terms, immediately apparent. The car, already eager, just wants to go, and fairly tender throttle pressure will get it going with more alacrity than stock and there's always more where that came from.

- I think it has improved my gas mileage but I need to research this a little more thoroughly before making the claim in earnest.

- I can now hear the whistle of the turbo, as it kicks in more eagerly and with less provocation, making a lot of torque available just about everywhere on the RPM range. The lack of lag, or delay between initial application of throttle and very committed acceleration is pretty impressive.

- The enhanced HP, while less immediately noticeable than the enhanced torque, will, I think, make the car quieter, more efficient and fun to drive at 100 mph on the freeway. Even stock, this engine makes only about 4000 rpm at 100 mph on a flat road. I bet I can be doing 120 mph at 4000 rpm with the tune.

Here are the numbers. As I say, they are lower than Dinan numbers for the N20 and lower than other, more aggressive, track-orientated tunes:

Max HP Gain 36 @ 5500 RPM
Max Torque Gain 44 @ 3500 RPM
Peak Horsepower 295 @ 5500 RPM
Peak Torque 327 @ 4000 RPM
BMW Factory Rated HP 240 (261 Measured)
BMW Factory Rated Torque 260 (290 Measured)

I know that this tune will not satisfy the many track performance purists here, or those that simply want to exploit this engine's potential to the very last available drop regardless of possible consequences. However, there must be many others, like me, who want to retain the 228i's civilized manners and not have to worry about warranties or excess wear while investing in a tune that wrings enough extra performance from this engine, in all driving situations, that, I think, places it directly alongside the M235 for acceleration and torque output and makes it quite possibly one of the very fastest sports coupes on the road, both 4 and 6 cylinder.

Last edited by BarryJI; 06-20-2015 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
SFV8187.50
      06-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Glad you are happy with your tuning decision

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
We think alike. While I didn't go with the Dinan, our curves are very similar and our goals are aligned.

Can't wait to hear about the mpg also!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, OpenAir, glad someone is on the same page. For any others, here are the dyno charts from Dinan (using 93 Octane fuel). Not pants-on-fire gains by comparison with some tunes but, as stated above, a very refined, emissions-friendly tune. I wonder if the slight discrepancy between the peak RPM HP gains for the N20 and the N26 is butt-palpable.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit

Last edited by BarryJI; 06-20-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
...Not pants-on-fire gains by comparison with some tunes but, as stated above, a very refined, emissions-friendly tune...
Yep, pretty close to what my expected curve is. I should add some extra bump due to 93 Octane which will pull it in-line with yours. I just want some additional "kick" but do not want to stress the OEM bottom end of the engine as I plan on playing with it for many years!

I am curious about your TCU update...I've been looking at that also.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

TCU?

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I'm with you Barryjl. Your first post was well articulated and aligns exactly with my original thinking in what I wanted to get out of the car. Thanks for posting.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
cw_itr_805
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-sport

I can attest to this Dinan review, recently installed mine on my 6-spd. I was quite impressed by the results too as stated by Barry. The car now is much smoother throughout the entire rev-range and the torque bump is substantial. My previous car was a 335is, and it now feels very similar to that N54 in power delivery. I find that stock, the N20 loses a bit of steam once hitting 3rd gear, but now it pulls strong without any letup. I know the price is much higher than other tunes, but for the gains I saw and a matching factory warranty, I'm very satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Transmission
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

I haven't done any transmission update for the 228i, nor seen one available from Dinan. I have the 8AT and think it's a stunning trans in stock form. The only mods I've done so far are the Stage 1 and the Dinantronics, both of which are worth every penny. AFAIK, there are no exhaust, CAI, Stage 2 or other mods for the N20//N26 from Dinan.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Congrats OP!
My friend mge92 shares the same sentiment of his Dinan stage1 on his X3 28i (N20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
We think alike. While I didn't go with the Dinan, our curves are very similar and our goals are aligned.

Can't wait to hear about the mpg also!
Actually Flash Tune brings out better numbers but still reliable & even smoother!
Also because the GSR Dyno was in SoCal on 91 octane, so ours on East Coast with 93 will be a big noticeable difference.

Quote:
Yep, pretty close to what my expected curve is. I should add some extra bump due to 93 Octane which will pull it in-line with yours. I just want some additional "kick" but do not want to stress the OEM bottom end of the engine as I plan on playing with it for many years!

ECU Flash are using Wheel Horse Power and Wheel Torque while Dinan is using Crank Numbers so you're not getting the numbers they say in their Dyno chart. They're pretty much using the number naming as BMW would. Because essentially everyone is going to get different HP/TQ depending on altitude, fuel and other factors.

Not to thread jack but for ex. view here my friends X3 28i Dinan stage1 and my X3 28i Racechip .. Both are N20 engines, while his is 1st gen N20 (MWG), mine is 2nd gen (EWG) (7/2013 build) which may be minor adjustment better.
Attached Images

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 06-22-2015 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
LeeT73
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
I went for this Stage 1 tune because I knew I could wring significantly more power and torque from this engine, yet I am never going to track the car (it's my DD and is loaded with too many luxury options) and I live in a very emissions-conscious state. In tuning the car for street use, I felt I needed to stay on the right side of both my dealership for warranty purposes, and of state law, therefore no catless mods, etc., or tunes that are not explicitly legal in CA.
Excellent Post! Very well written. I share the same philosophical approach. I want to add another 30-40 HP, while remaining emissions-friendly.

I would love to see the 0-60 clocked, for curiosity sake.

Keep us posted as to whether or not any problems appear. For me, that's the biggest thing. I don't want the tune to introduce any issues.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #13
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Lee. I have the software to clock the 0-60 time, and may well do it but first I will have to find somewhere safe for repeated runs.

I have not had any problems so far and do not expect to have any. If the dealerships offer Dinan tunes, they must have reason to believe that this modification is unlikely to give them headaches with warranty claims because, even with the belt-and-suspenders Dinan warranty to protect BMW's exposure, I don't think BMW wants to encourage people to over-tune their cars while they are under warranty. People will tell you that piggyback tunes are not the fastest and ECM flash tunes are better and that may be so, but this piggyback will satisfy all but the most demanding, track-oriented consumers of aftermarket performance products and it is well-mannered, i.e. the engine burbles away very happily in heavy traffic and otherwise normal city driving conditions but when you want to open it up, the car really flies. I guess what I am trying to say is that the tune does not appear to stress the engine in any way and even at 120 mph and about 4500 rpm with the tune, or under very heavy acceleration, every bit of feedback I get from the engine (and the gearbox and the suspension) says "no sweat, want more?"

Last edited by BarryJI; 07-10-2015 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #14
LeeT73
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks, Lee. I have the software to clock the 0-60 time, and may well do it but first I will have to find somewhere safe for repeated runs.

I have not had any problems so far and do not expect to have any. If the dealerships offer Dinan tunes, they must have reason to believe that this modification is unlikely to give them headaches with warranty claims because, even with the belt-and-suspenders Dinan warranty to protect BMW's exposure, I don't think BMW wants to encourage people to over-tune their cars while they are under warranty. People will tell you that piggyback tunes are not the fastest and ECM flash tunes are better and that may be so, but this piggyback will satisfy all but he most demanding, track-oriented consumers of aftermarket performance products and it is well-mannered, i.e. the engine burbles away very happily in heavy traffic and otherwise normal city driving conditions but when you want to open it up, the car really flies. I guess what I am trying to say is that the tune does not appear to stress the engine in any way and even at 120 mph and about 4500 rpm with the tune,nor under very heavy acceleration, every bit of feedback I get from the engine (and the gearbox and the suspension) says "no sweat, want more?"
Thanks for the quick reply. Admittedly, I have not done a ton of research on these "tunes", but part of me thinks it sounds a little too good to be true. I mean, if there was more power and better handling to be wrung out of this car, why didn't BMW just do it themselves?

I suspect the answer to that question, is that BMW err'd on the safe side with regards to performance, and that these tunes edge the car closer to it's limits.

I do appreciate, however, as you state above, that BMW dealerships will do the tune. As long as my CPO Warranty remains 100% intact, I'm all for it!
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #15
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

All cars come off the production line bound up to some extent. This is to miminize warranty exposure for BMW and to stop some housewife from scaring herself $hitless when she guns her husband's Deuce in the driveway one Sunday morning.

All that matters for consumers like us is that the car is tunable, and ours is, gloriously. After that it comes down to risk vs. reward in terms of which product we go for.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

We all know that BMW has a tendency to under rate their cars in both power and fuel mileage. And as for the keeping the power down from the factory, BMW realizes that many people will be putting modifications into their BMWs. Most baselines on the dynes are putting this little engine at 260+ for power, so the 50 hp gain is reasonable to believe. Plus, it will put just about any 228 into the 4's for 0 - 60, most of us wouldn't really need any more. Then the fuel mileage increase. Isn't this something called, having your cake and eat it too?

I'm also interested in learning more about the suspension tune too.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #17
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI

The enhanced HP, while less immediately noticeable than the enhanced torque, will, I think, make the car quieter, more efficient and fun to drive at 100 mph on the freeway. Even stock, this engine makes only about 4000 rpm at 100 mph on a flat road. I bet I can be doing 120 mph at 4000 rpm with the tune. .
Did I miss something? How would a tune change rpm at a given speed - or speed at a given rpm? Was there a gearing change done?
      07-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #18
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am pretty sure that the tune resets gearing response and throttle settings across the drive modes. It obviously adds power output too, and, when testing the car regularly on a very fast local stretch of freeway it certainly seems to me that 100 mph feels less hectic than it did before the tune (and it gets there MUCH faster). My car is the 8AT so I had assumed it was possible for an electronic tune to adjust electronic gearing but I am far from the most mechanically savvy person on these forums so if I misspoke I apologize and am happy to stand corrected.

As for the Dinan suspension tune, it is relatively inexpensive and well worth it for me. Before I did it the car felt a little stiff to me and yet there was also discernible body roll. This made cornering under power a slightly disconcerting experience as I definitely felt that if I really got on the gas the car would probably understeer or even skip. The Shockware suspension mod resets the shock absorbers, whose response to load is governed by firmware that the mod updates. I am still a little wary of the car's probable tendency to push in sweeping corners -- it's not a Porsche and I cannot imagine anyone drifting it in anything close to stock configuration -- but it feels like it handles lateral load better now, changes direction faster and corners flatter. There is less body roll under both cornering and braking. It seems to have made the suspension firmer and the car's response to directional input now feels more "honest". I do not know why this mod is available only for the 228i (with adaptive suspension) and not the M235.

Last edited by BarryJI; 07-12-2015 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #19
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
I am pretty sure that the tune resets gearing response and throttle settings across the drive modes. It obviously adds power output too, and, when testing the car regularly on a very fast local stretch of freeway it certainly seems to me that 100 mph feels less hectic than it did before the tune (and it gets there MUCH faster). My car is the 8AT so I had assumed it was possible for an electronic tune to adjust electronic gearing but I am far from the most mechanically savvy person on these forums so if I misspoke I apologize and am happy to stand corrected.

As for the Dinan suspension tune, it is relatively inexpensive and well worth it for me. Before I did it the car felt a little stiff to me and yet there was also discernible body roll. This made cornering under power a slightly disconcerting experience as I definitely felt that if I really got on the gas the car would probably understeer or even skip. The Shockware suspension mod resets the shock absorbers, whose response to load is governed by firmware that the mod updates. I am still a little wary of the car's probable tendency to push in sweeping corners -- it's not a Porsche and I cannot imagine anyone drifting it in anything close to stock configuration -- but it feels like it handles lateral load better now, changes direction faster and corners flatter. There is less body roll under both cornering and braking. It seems to have made the suspension firmer and the car's response to directional input now feels more "honest". I do not know why this mod is available only for the 228i (with adaptive suspension) and not the M235.
Not to change topic, but I recently drove a 228 Loaner and the cornering wasn't as good as my X3 M-Sport w/ DHP (Adaptive Suspension) nor as good as my friends 2011 335is.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC
Quote:

Not to change topic, but I recently drove a 228 Loaner and the cornering wasn't as good as my X3 M-Sport w/ DHP (Adaptive Suspension) nor as good as my friends 2011 335is.
What was in the 228?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #21
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Quote:
The tune does not alter throttle mapping as far as I can tell based on my car.

The gearing in your AT is not "electronic." The ratios of the 8 gears and the final drive are fixed. A tuned N20 would turn at the same rpm as a stock N20 at 100mph as the stock N20 has plenty of grunt to hold 100 in 8th gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:

I am curious about your TCU update...I've been looking at that also.

Not the best graph to show what kind of power you're making. For all intents and purposes if you have GSR you're right around 270hp and 330ft/lbs. Although that graph isn't incorrect, its only good for the delta.
Appreciate 0