THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Car Care Newbie

07-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235xi

Car Care Newbie

There is a great wealth of knowledge and advice on this forum, but i'm still a little confused on a couple of processes. Any insight would be appreciated.

Car: 2015 M235i
Color: Black
Wheels: Stock
Extra: Performance Exhaust with Chrome tips
Parking: Attached Garage

My driveway is on a steep incline, therefore I'm trying to avoid hose washing at home. After doing some research, i'm finding out self-service car washes are not the greatest. This is my first brand new car, and my first BMW. I plan on making the effort to keep it in great condition. My last three cars added together, still do not top the MSRP of my 235. So it shouldn't be surprising that I didn't put that much effort into exterior cleaning. Basically just did automatic or self washes every two or three weeks.

Here are some questions:

A ton of people recommend Griots products. I can't tell the difference between the spray on wash and the speed shine. Seems like they have the same purpose. Could anyone explain why you need both?

Should I use the Griots spray on wax or the BMW. Will it hurt or not help to use the spray on wax after the spray wash or speed shine?

I've never waxed a car, usually just paid the $100 and went to a detail center. Especially since washing the car at home is near impossible. Any suggestions or should I keep just going to the detail center? Any idea when this should be done, the car is 2/3 months old.

If it helps with the advice, I live in the chicago burbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Why does the steep driveway prevent you from washing at home ? You don't want to park on it ? Or you don't want to use a hose on steep driveway ?
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's asphalt and gets very slick when wet, also even with the E-brake not a fan of parking my cars on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

I understand, I also have a steep driveway, blacktop and use a wheel chock when parking on it.

Youtube has some good detailing videos.
View some 'AMMO NYC' vids. They can be a bit tedious to view, but find the washing and waxing portions and that's a good instruction.

I like Griots microfiber mits and other hardware but have found other detailing washes, waxes and protectants - I prefer and it's a never ending thread on forums.
But black paint really benefits from hand washing/detailing.

Spray on wash is a car wash soap for the initial wash, spray on wax is a type of wax used after drying a newly washed car.

I really like BMW car care products particularly there NATURAL line.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Yes to all the above. But to amplify a bit: I also use the Griots line completely, but they are just one of many fine prod lines. Used McQuires for 30 years and switched over as I like the longevity for me of the G line. I highly respect Barry McQuire but he sold it all to 3M. I know Richard Griot and also respect his values, and his stance on how he treats his employees.

The blue Speed Shine is just that--a quick speedy shine up ; it is used on a basically clean surface, and give some sacrifice barrier to your main wax. It CAN be used, as we do for a quick "clean up" from a basically rainy/filmy day.

The Spray on Wash, green is for a dirty car and can be sprayed on, let sit and get a fine job of a quick waterless wash. BUT you need to use a LOT of miscrofibers when you process this way, as wiping the surface with a dirty cloth just scratches and smears the dirt. BUT used properly the spray on wash is fantastic.

The yellow Spray on Wax is a bit heavier and can be used on a dry clean surface or as they recco' spray it on when car is wet, after washing, and dry and buff out in one step. If the car has been properly clayed and waxed, then the Speed shine and Spray on wax become "sacrifice barriers" to take the weather, some dirt and abuse thus protecting the main wax.

BTW- the Griots paste in can is easy to use, by hand or with an orbital. Leaves no residue. A couple of layers of that and surface will do well with weather. Heavy washing at home [washaterias not recco'd] with heavy car wash suds will reduce your wax layers quickly...thus the nice thing about adding the Spray on Wax on a regular basis. Also remove any bird drops right away...they etch paint and can ruin the top coat very quickly. Keep a spray bottle of water and some clothes in the boot; its there when you need it away from the house.

My wife's X1 just came in this morning from a brief stint out on some wet roads--she was not happy and it picked up that wet sort of roady film on the sides and bonnet. She walked around the car, hit it with Speed Shine in less than a minute. Then went back and dried with the larger drying towels and its ready for the week. No, I don't work for G's...just use the prods and LOTS of others over the years. I dislike a dirty car and dislike nugatory tasks. Hope this helps some. Some people take better care of a cheap WalMart watch than they do their cars...no matter the price. Go for it.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys...

Ended up going with meguiars. It was buy one get one half off at the store. Figured it was a good way to build up my collection.

The only part I don't get is they say to use one micro cloth to polish after spray and one to dry. When I tried it out today, by the time I went to use the dry cloth there was no shine and looked dry. I didn't use a drying cloth then because I was afraid to scratch the finish. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep

^^^
Not sure I'm exactly following your issue but a tip. When waxing, keep a spray bottle filled with tap water to give the polish cloth or wax pad a bit of moisture, or spritz the car finish if the products are drying on the finish.
When drying, use either the water or a quick detailer (spray wax) to moisten the drying cloth or paint finish.

And don't do any of this in direct sun-light.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
^^^
Not sure I'm exactly following your issue but a tip. When waxing, keep a spray bottle filled with tap water to give the polish cloth or wax pad a bit of moisture, or spritz the car finish if the products are drying on the finish.
When drying, use either the water or a quick detailer (spray wax) to moisten the drying cloth or paint finish.

And don't do any of this in direct sun-light.
+1 on the bottle, but do not use tap water - it is full of minerals that will leave deposits. Buy a gallon of distilled water from the store - it has no minerals to leave behind.

OP - Congrats on the first BMW and a M235 as well! Since you are looking to take proper care of her and learn yourself, some other things to look into.

Clay bar and lube. You will want to clay the car as soon as possible. A number of sediments will get stuck in the clear coat while in transit. Claying is typically only necessary about once a year with good upkeep.

2 buckets, with guards. Look up 2 bucket washes, should be plenty of Google answers. Ammo NYC, Adams Polishes, and Chemical guys are all good youtube channels. More of an ad for their techniques, products are up to each personal preference.

Enjoy the rides!
      07-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
CharlieM
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 xi Sedan

Clean/Wax

I own a black 5series and white 228 convertible. Autogeek.net has great video and instructions ...and products you should use on a new car, especially black.

On my jet black car I used Meguairs Wash, Clay bar, and Pinnacle paint enhancer
followed by sealant then Sougvern Wax. If there is dirt on the car it will over time load the car up with surface swirls and scratches.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
I own a black 5series and white 228 convertible. Autogeek.net has great video and instructions ...and products you should use on a new car, especially black.

On my jet black car I used Meguairs Wash, Clay bar, and Pinnacle paint enhancer
followed by sealant then Sougvern Wax. If there is dirt on the car it will over time load the car up with surface swirls and scratches.
Thanks for the reply Charlie. Everyone keeps mentioning to use a clay bar. I'm not going to lie though, i'm kind of scared of fucking my car up if I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

You won't damage your car using clay if you follow the directions. You won't ruin it any more than washing it poorly or using less than decent drying towels which will swirl the paint.

All top brand clays will do fine. They come with the lubrication sprays, which are spray on shine liquids. Some use soapy water to save money. Personally I just use the proper sprays. Check out Autogeek.com videos on clay use. It's the only way you will get the paint properly prepped for a good wax application.

Wash car first to get rid of all washable, surface dirt/debris, then follow clay instructions. You will be pleased. And new cars need it as bad if not worse than a year old car. Production, shipping, even dealer prep does not bring you a clean paint ready for good wax. Try it...you won't ruin paint. If still in doubt find someone local to show you how it's done.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Wash it properly you'll never need to wax for years to come, always wash it yourself, once you sway from those 2 aspects once!, you'll have to have your car detailed forever. Had 7 BMWs since 01, never waxed always washed perfectly, and NEVER powersprayed paint surface, my cars are perfect, sorry to naysayers come see um. Oh, the rags don't slide off but clear coat is awesome ,no scratches, no swirl marks, shines thanks to PPG chemical company that's produces most clear coats.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0