F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suggestions for suspension + shock/strut upgrade (see constraints in post body)
Extreme Powerhouse

07-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 328i

Suggestions for suspension + shock/strut upgrade (see constraints in post body)

Hello,

First I'd like to say that as a passive viewer this community has provided me with lots of valuable information regarding the F30. I am very happy a forum such as this exists. Now on to the meat of this post.

I am a first time BMW owner. I have a 2013 328i CPO with 30k miles, 9k when purchased a year ago. It is the base line model. If I had properly researched the differences between the lines I may have gone a different route, but even then I am not sure: the car was a steal at the price I negotiated. It helped to have a friend who was into cars far more than I was at the time of purchase, although I am catching up slowly.

I am looking into a suspension and shock/strut upgrade with the goals of a modest drop (say, 1 - 1.5 inches) from the base suspension height and of a reasonable improvement in handling/reduction in body roll without sacrificing ride comfort. I still use run flats; however, they are the newest generation (Driveguards) and are very soft compared to the OEM continental RFT. I don't mind a stiffer ride at all. Indeed, I want a stiffer ride because the current ride is too bouncy. What I do not want is a ride that stiff enough to cause shuddering whenever hitting a small pothole. I don't want to have to worry about the car if I am not on perfect roads.

The only suspension and shock/strut combination I have found that makes sense is H&R sport + Bilstein B8. Do you guys think this combination well-chosen given my constraints? Is there a better setup out there for what I want? My budget is $1200 including labor.

Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
435iFanatiker
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A rental

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I'm in the same boat, and am considering the Dinan upgrades, the BMW M Performance Suspension, as well as the HR/Bilstein route. So, I'm als looking forward to any responses you get.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

I would go with a full coilover if your going to spend 1k for shocks and springs. In addition, I hope you are planing on installing a nice set of wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

I thought coilovers are in the 2k+ range? What's the reason to go with coil overs? I don't know much about them besides that they allow for ride height adjustment. I'm fairly certain I'd never use that.

I may get wheels and better tires in the future, but not for another year.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

DO NOT GO HR/BILSTEIN ROUTE

I have this combo, with HR Front and Rear Sway, Front Strut Bar, i actually took off my m3 LCA last week. Even with what i have on. The ride is SOFT AF. I hate it. I took a turn at 30 MPH and my wheels started screeching. Im done with this HR/Bilstein combo. Im going KW v2. I had KW Streetcomfort with m3 front sway on my 135i and it rides better than this POS HR/Bilstein. If you want form and function go Coilovers. I will never buy spring and shock combo ever again.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Slight budget upgrade above $1200 will create many more options for you. KW Street Comfort Coilovers (with matching springs and shocks) will be an excellent choice considering your constraints, including maintaining ride comfort. You can buy these for $1600.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

The KW streets look interesting. A bit pricey, but it's doable if they are quality. Do you happen to know if the dealer can use them as an excuse to void the warranty for any other parts of the car? Obviously it would void the suspension warranty, but it appears KW has an aftermarket lifetime warranty on the coilovers. I've read conflicting information regarding voiding the warranty as a whole, however.
Appreciate 0