F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Coding M performance on base brakes, IS IT DANGEROUS ?!!
ARMA SPEED

07-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Coding M performance on base brakes, IS IT DANGEROUS ?!!

Hey guys, I just had a pop question since I just coded M perf. brakes on my base 330mm brakes with single piston just to get better brake feel but I want to know what are downsides of it, is it dangerous like ABS won't work ?! will ruin rotors ?!
I can confirm it's making big difference on how car brakes not just feel

p.s I have base brakes but upgraded lines, semi-metallic pads and slotted rotors (same stock size)
330/24 mm front
300/20 mm rear

C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_vorne_e change to--> 370mm
C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_hinten_e change to --> 345mm
      07-05-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

I dont see how coding m perf brakes does anything in terms of brake feel.

The brakes are purely hardware controlled (pedal moves piston in brake cylinder which pushes fluid to the brake pads). theres no software that controls that. - but i could be wrong.

The m perf brakes coding i would assume only effects the ABS and traction control.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post

The brakes are purely hardware controlled (pedal moves piston in brake cylinder which pushes fluid to the brake pads). theres no software that controls that. - but i could be wrong.

The m perf brakes coding i would assume only effects the ABS and traction control.
it's odd to me too but couple of my friends drove car and confirmed without evening telling them i did anything to the car.. anyone installed M perf brakes say it needs coding because feel is mushy. check down lost you'll find one posting about it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
johnsjmc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i

I found a reference somewhere that the sport brake coding changes the proportioning valve values which might be changing the percentage of force at one end versus the other.
Have you attempted to brake hard enough to trigger your abs ?
If the brake bias has been changed by your recode you might get some unexpected lockup prior to abs cutting in.
I have installed the complete 335i brakes on my 2014 320ix and have not changed any coding. I have 340/30 with 4 piston and 330/20 with single piston calipers now up from 312/300
I was going to look for the coding place to change rotor sizes but haven,t done it yet.
I,m not overly concerned because the ratio of rotor diameters has stayed similar to before.
I just purchased a cable but don,t know how to code or where to look
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjmc View Post
I found a reference somewhere that the sport brake coding changes the proportioning valve values which might be changing the percentage of force at one end versus the other.
Have you attempted to brake hard enough to trigger your abs ?
If the brake bias has been changed by your recode you might get some unexpected lockup prior to abs cutting in.
I have installed the complete 335i brakes on my 2014 320ix and have not changed any coding. I have 340/30 with 4 piston and 330/20 with single piston calipers now up from 312/300
I was going to look for the coding place to change rotor sizes but haven,t done it yet.
I,m not overly concerned because the ratio of rotor diameters has stayed similar to before.
I just purchased a cable but don,t know how to code or where to look

No didn't attempt to trigger abs. I'll try different sizes though maybe I'll stick to the ones same thickness as my rotors.

check this out diy for coding

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696777
      07-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
johnsjmc
Enlisted Member
Rep

the reference to what changes is by "Pikcachu" in a thread called "MPBBK-coding required post DIY install?" 08-19-2014 in the 2 series forum I don,t know how to link to it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Hello

I coded it myself sport brakes on my BMW F30 using the following procedure:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929406

=> Connect
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA
=> Save FA
=> Editiors and viewers
=> FA-editor
=> Go to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file
=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" and "Calculate FA" to verify that no errors are found after adding the SPBR.
=> Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file
=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read (read) the FA. You are able to see SPBR be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT / ECU / DSC), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Consolidation should start immediately.
=> Allow the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
=> Disconnect the car's computer. The M-Performance brake is now activated and enjoy the authentic experience of M Performance brake.

it will also manually changed disk size in the DSC file
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
johnsjmc
Enlisted Member
Rep

What would you code if adding 335i brakes to a 320 xi The fronts change to 4 piston Brembos and 340/30 mm rotors (same as sportbrake ) but the rears change to 330/20 single piston. Larger dia. rotors but same caliper as before
Not really sport brake but probably should change the rotor size file.

Last edited by johnsjmc; 07-05-2015 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #9
Piggieback
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Cayman S, 2015 A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post

Makes a rather noticeable difference. Drove M perf brakes for 3 month, mushy, required a lot more force than stock. After coding SPBR, right away, the pedal feel is linear, more direct, exactly what its supposed to be like. I'm assuming the brake system raised the pressure, and the distribution, since the rear calipers are a lot bigger, they can handle more. Long story short, big difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:16 AM   #10
Piggieback
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Cayman S, 2015 A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
Hey guys, I just had a pop question since I just coded M perf. brakes on my base 330mm brakes with single piston just to get better brake feel but I want to know what are downsides of it, is it dangerous like ABS won't work ?! will ruin rotors ?!
I can confirm it's making big difference on how car brakes not just feel

p.s I have base brakes but upgraded lines, semi-metallic pads and slotted rotors (same stock size)
330/24 mm front
300/20 mm rear

C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_vorne_e change to--> 370mm
C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_hinten_e change to --> 345mm
I wouldn't simply because you might end up breaking the seals around the calipers. I'm sure the system raises the pressure to compensate for the larger displacement of the calipers.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
rustyminded
Major
Rep

yes i left it back to stock this is a big risk on such small caliper and brakes
Appreciate 1
cmplaya211.50
      08-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
acs325i
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by david51 View Post
Hello

I coded it myself sport brakes on my BMW F30 using the following procedure:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929406

=> Connect
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA
=> Save FA
=> Editiors and viewers
=> FA-editor
=> Go to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file
=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" and "Calculate FA" to verify that no errors are found after adding the SPBR.
=> Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file
=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read (read) the FA. You are able to see SPBR be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT / ECU / DSC), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Consolidation should start immediately.
=> Allow the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
=> Disconnect the car's computer. The M-Performance brake is now activated and enjoy the authentic experience of M Performance brake.

it will also manually changed disk size in the DSC file
Thanks a lot for the guide definitely helped when i was coding my brakes
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjmc View Post
I think you only need/should do coding for the M Performance Brakes (with 370/345mm Rotors) not for other "stock" setups.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

So you are paying bmw for coding? Not engineering? If the two models have same brakes but by coding it makes a good difference in performance of the brake? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #15
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Do M Sport brakes have this coding or is it simply for M Performance brakes?
      11-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou View Post
Do M Sport brakes have this coding or is it simply for M Performance brakes?
My car have the M sport rotors but single piston, i guess this is for M performance only
when coding there are other options as well which i haven't tried.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #17
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Quote:
My car have the M sport rotors but single piston, i guess this is for M performance only
when coding there are other options as well which i haven't tried.

the front brakes and msport Mperformance have 4 piston calipers on each
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #18
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david51 View Post
the front brakes and msport Mperformance have 4 piston calipers on each
My car is European when i got rotors from usa they sent 312mm front, 300mm rear so it didn't fit, then i called company in usa and they told me because you have the M sport brakes it has two options one with single piston another same size with 4.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #19
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
My car is European when i got rotors from usa they sent 312mm front, 300mm rear so it didn't fit, then i called company in usa and they told me because you have the M sport brakes it has two options one with single piston another same size with 4.
I believe he is referring to the /35i brake rotors + calipers. Stock 35i front has a 340mm rotor with a 4 piston caliper. M performance brakes are 370mm discs with the same caliper but a different pad. For the rear, stock /35i brakes are 1 piston, with a sub 300 mm size rotor. M performance brakes in the rear feature 2 piston calipers + bigger rotor.
      11-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #20
versailles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou
Quote:
I believe he is referring to the /35i brake rotors + calipers. Stock 35i front has a 340mm rotor with a 4 piston caliper. M performance brakes are 370mm discs with the same caliper but a different pad. For the rear, stock /35i brakes are 1 piston, with a sub 300 mm size rotor. M performance brakes in the rear feature 2 piston calipers + bigger rotor.
I have 2NH Msport braking system (blue) is that the same as the m performance?

I want to get some drilled disks (probably aftermarket as I don't like the dimpled ones) perhaps a bigger rotor, any ideas what I should be going for?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by versailles View Post

I want to get some drilled disks (probably aftermarket as I don't like the dimpled ones) perhaps a bigger rotor, any ideas what I should be going for?
yea you can contact frozenrotors they did slotted and cryogenic treatment on stock rotors. result is very good or you can get after market directly from them
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
versailles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded
Quote:
Originally Posted by versailles View Post

yea you can contact frozenrotors they did slotted and cryogenic treatment on stock rotors. result is very good or you can get after market directly from them

They are in the US!!! I need someone in the uk
Appreciate 0