E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The future of car cleaning ?

02-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
brians exclusive
Auto detailing and Window Tinting Charlotte NC
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBA

The future of car cleaning ?

There are at least two factors that will affect the future of car cleaning
1. Drought in many areas of the USA
2. EPA regulations

In light of these factors how many people are actually considering water conservation and waterless methods of cleaning your car ? While still being able to have that flawless finish and brillant shine.
      02-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
npb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BS 335i

cg one. try it. sex for your car in a bottle some might say ??
      02-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Brian N
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

ONR (Optimum No Rinse Wash) it is the best no rinse wash on the market period. Some people even prefer it to the standard wash.

And I live in a "drought" area socal haha and I have never had to "conserve" water before I have been encouraged to though lol like that does anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I haven't tried ONR because I have been so happy with Protectal's QEW (Quick and Easy Wash). I have used it for a few years now, and unless my car is filthy I do not use a hose. Wash bucket and rinse bucket, that is it.
      02-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Summer time water restriction in my county and winter cleaning methods. My car hardly ever get dirty enough for a hose down.
1/ California Duster
2/ Two bucket wash
3/ Black Magic Detailer Spray after every wash
Result: Paint so smooth, my microfiber towel slides off the hood
      02-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
J BONE
The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
ONR (Optimum No Rinse Wash) it is the best no rinse wash on the market period. Some people even prefer it to the standard wash.
+2
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

PB's S&W
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FMINUSDETAIL@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I haven't tried ONR because I have been so happy with Protectal's QEW (Quick and Easy Wash). I have used it for a few years now, and unless my car is filthy I do not use a hose. Wash bucket and rinse bucket, that is it.
QEW is better than ONR, QEW is not as well known and very few have used it relative to ONR.

I would say QEW is the BEST Rinseless wash while CG ONE is the best waterless wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMINUS View Post
QEW is better than ONR, QEW is not as well known and very few have used it relative to ONR.

I would say QEW is the BEST Rinseless wash while CG ONE is the best waterless wash.
What's better about qew? I use onr regularly and love it, so if qew is even better then I need to get some.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

what is CG one's website?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
What's better about qew? I use onr regularly and love it, so if qew is even better then I need to get some.
QEW is a little more slick. But there is not a NIGHT AND DAY difference. What I like about ONR is its availability, most vendors carry it so you save money on shipping when you pick up extra items
Quote:
Originally Posted by timn View Post
what is CG one's website?
chemicalguys.com
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

for some reason im still skeptical about trying a no rinse or waterless wash on my Jet Black.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
brians exclusive
Auto detailing and Window Tinting Charlotte NC
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
for some reason im still skeptical about trying a no rinse or waterless wash on my Jet Black.
any thoughts on steam cleaning ?
      02-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMINUS View Post
QEW is a little more slick. But there is not a NIGHT AND DAY difference. What I like about ONR is its availability, most vendors carry it so you save money on shipping when you pick up extra items
Interesting you say this. The majority view on Autopia seems to be that ONR leaves a more slick finish than QEW (see here and here, for example). But it also seems that some people prefer QEW, some ONR.

I haven't tried QEW and I've only used ONR once -- for the first time this past weekend. I was a HUGE skeptic, and I found it hard to get past the feeling I was washing with just water. But you can't argue with the results. My car was very dirty, and the ONR cleaned it and left the car looking very slick -- like a traditional wash followed with a QD. Well, as long as you don't look in the little cracks and crevices the ONR misses.

I'm looking forward to doing it again next week. It won't replace a normal wash for me on warm days, but damned if it doesn't look terrific.
      02-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Interesting you say this. The majority view on Autopia seems to be that ONR leaves a more slick finish than QEW (see here and here, for example). But it also seems that some people prefer QEW, some ONR.

I haven't tried QEW and I've only used ONR once -- for the first time this past weekend. I was a HUGE skeptic, and I found it hard to get past the feeling I was washing with just water. But you can't argue with the results. My car was very dirty, and the ONR cleaned it and left the car looking very slick -- like a traditional wash followed with a QD. Well, as long as you don't look in the little cracks and crevices the ONR misses.

I'm looking forward to doing it again next week. It won't replace a normal wash for me on warm days, but damned if it doesn't look terrific.
I havent looked to see the FINISH it leaves, but the washing process is def slicker on QEW. Finish doesnt matter to me since I polish or apply LSP afterwards.

But like I was saying the difference is so small that I would suggest sticking with what you've been using. Maybe even with ONR just because you will be able to find more help with it on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

I was a long time QEW user before ONR, now when I use a rinseless wash, I always go with ONR and order it, even though my local RV store carries QEW. Never noticed payed attention to the difference in the actualy washing, but the enhanced glossed from ONR flipped my coin.
sure Vintage is rad, but if they screw up the prep it won't matter if they coat it in pure white carnauba picked from trees that bloom every ten years during a full moon; it will still look like ass. ---PICUS
Appreciate 0