THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Placement of side m emblems?

07-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Placement of side m emblems?

My M235 didn't come with them. To get some free shipping on some stuff I was getting, I figured I'd throw them in, so I now have the OEM little M emblems that go on the side. How will I know exactly where to place them?
      07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
You need to go here for the answer

Side emblems

so they look like this I'm guessing..

Last edited by rocketretro; 07-06-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I have estimated the placement, but I will make my final measurements when I get to Munich for my European Delivery pick-up. Apparently the only country in the world where the emblems are omitted is the USA. It should be easy to find a 2er at the Welt destined for a European home to make a few quick measurements. Maybe a US buyer with an early 2 series that came with the emblems could help out now?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I have an early 2014. The emblem is as in picture above. On mine it is:

5" down measured from beltline that is: from center of that convex belt..or other said, from the "crest" of the belt that stands out proud of the fender surface.

2" in from fender seam at door, using the fender edge from which to measure, not the door's edge.

Hope this helps...but if you were even close to this, you will be fine. Some other 2014 might even be a 1/4 inch here and there from mine. I suspect factory uses a small plastic template placed on fender, then emblem is applied. But, NO one will notice, even those of us who have them will measure. BUT you will be spot on with above.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
It should be easy to find a 2er at the Welt destined for a European home to make a few quick measurements.
Not so sure about that. Two weeks ago, the only 2er that I saw on display at the Welt was a 4-cylinder convertible (no M badges, obviously). As for cars destined for customer delivery, only a handful are out at a time. The rest are in storage.

I did see a Canadian-spec M235i (with the badges) at Loginout-MUC, though.

The side badges do add a bit of visual flair to the car. And I'd have removed the 3DZ code ("without additional outside designation") from my order if such a thing were possible. It's a shame that BMWNA is such a stickler on the "U.S.-spec, no exceptions" thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
I have an early 2014. The emblem is as in picture above. On mine it is:

5" down measured from beltline that is: from center of that convex belt..or other said, from the "crest" of the belt that stands out proud of the fender surface.

2" in from fender seam at door, using the fender edge from which to measure, not the door's edge.

Hope this helps...but if you were even close to this, you will be fine. Some other 2014 might even be a 1/4 inch here and there from mine. I suspect factory uses a small plastic template placed on fender, then emblem is applied. But, NO one will notice, even those of us who have them will measure. BUT you will be spot on with above.
Does all that measure to the top-left corner of the emblem, or the center?
      07-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
On my U.K spec M235i the measurements are exactly 15" from the bottom of the panel to the bottom of the badge and 1.75 inches from the line of the wing [Fender?]panel to the first part of the badge.

It does seem to me that BMW and other Europeans manufacturers, cut out certain design features and options to make the price point for the huge and competitive US market. Off the top of my head, decals, air blades, the way options are priced when these are standard on our cars, albeit we pay more. I wonder if any US serviceman who has bought a car whilst in Germany or the U.K and shipped it back to the U.S has noticed it?
      07-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Isthar...yes, meaurements are to the left side of the "M"...for both top and side measures. Hope that helps...but if you even come close it will be fine. No one is going to measure it...as visually if you are close to these measures above you' re spot on.

BUT do make sure you are level with application...THAT might show more than actual place of attachment. You would not wish to stand back, and feel this =
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thx all, I got them on! used iphone for level so I'd say it should be good...
      07-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar View Post
Thx all, I got them on! used iphone for level so I'd say it should be good...
Cool! Post some pics!
Appreciate 0