ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Yet another CDV delete thread

Finally got around to it. Didn't bother with Zeckhausen - bought a stock CDV from Tischer for $12 and modified it myself in 3 minutes with a bench vise and a length of 5/32" drill rod. The actual swap took about the 30 minutes everyone claims - the majority of it figuring how to safely jack up and get under my Z4 for the first time. Being paranoid about the whole being crushed to death thing I used 4 jackstands all on the driver's side (2 taking the actual load at the nominal jackpad support points, one under the front A-arm and one adjacent to the front jackpad as back ups.

I am not particularly given to hyperbole so I can't say the difference is night and day as others have described it. That said it does improve clutch engagement feel in 1st and 2nd to a perceptible degree and I agree with everyone else that for the minor cost/effort it's a worthwhile mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
srhutch
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M & F11

swapped mine out two weeks ago, noticed the difference as soon as i drive for first time, much better, wish i had done it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

You may damage the clutch hydraulics with the drilled CDV. Did you read the zeckhausen page before you proceded to do this?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

As long as you're not retarded there wouldn't be a problem. Their arguments are about leaving behind shavings to work their way into the fluid system (valid point, but people will handle that) and damaging the tapered end. The second argument is about damaging the CDV's fitment. You'd only do that if you screwed with the external diameter, which I can't imagine any craftsman doing.

You do realize as a vendor of modified CDVs is their prerogative to spread a little FUD about the process. I wouldn't take their word as dogma, when plenty of others have drilled the stock one or removed theirs completely. Of course, without a clutch pedal, its not my problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

To be clear I did not drill out my CDV. I used the flat end of a piece of drill rod to push out the inner guts of the valve, removed the piston, reassembled and installed. This process is discussed in detail over on Z4-forum: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...v+drill#p17422 Given how easy it is to modify a CDV like this it amazes me that folks cough up an extra $20 to get Zeckhausen to do it for them - each to their own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Just making sure you didn't stick it under a drill press and go to town.

I'd buy zeck's just cuz i don't have the tools and I wouldn't want to screw it up

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
srhutch
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M & F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
To be clear I did not drill out my CDV. I used the flat end of a piece of drill rod to push out the inner guts of the valve, removed the piston, reassembled and installed. This process is discussed in detail over on Z4-forum: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...v+drill#p17422 Given how easy it is to modify a CDV like this it amazes me that folks cough up an extra $20 to get Zeckhausen to do it for them - each to their own I guess.
Was going to ask you exactly what you did, but I see you used my post on Z4-forum so I wont ask anymore
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Z4MC4ME
Rep
Drives: 2004 Acura RSX Type-S

I apologize for thread hi-jacking, but how likely is a modified CDV going to void one's warranty? Would the service tech notice the difference in the feel of the clutch and likely report it?

I only ask as I am about to purchase a CPO Z4MC and would prefer not to jeopardize the warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Kream
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 11 GLK350

Why can't you direct-link the line? Is a modified CDV reallly necessary?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kream View Post
Why can't you direct-link the line? Is a modified CDV reallly necessary?
some people are worried that removing it will cause warranty issues if the dealer sees that its missing.

i myself took out the cdv completely and just re-attached the line. in my honest opinion (and i bled the clutch line afterwards) i couldnt tell a difference at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Removing it all together is the best way to go...If you ever have transmission/clutch issues, just make sure to replace it before you send the car to the shop.