THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport Mode and DSC Off at the Same Time is Not Possible

07-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Question Sport Mode and DSC Off at the Same Time is Not Possible

Tested on a 2015 228i M-Sport ZTR (BMW's code for Track Package going forward)

Is there some trick to get Sport Mode (drivetrain and chassis) to be on at the same time as DSC off?

If I put it into Sport or Sport+, then hold DSC off, DSC turns off but the drivetrain and chassis goes into comfort mode.

If I turn DSC off and then put it up into Sport or Sport+, DSC turns on automatically.

I tested the above while going over a bumpy surface, I could tell when I turned DSC off the suspension went soft and the throttle went into comfort mode.

How can I have both the sport suspension and throttle while DSC is off? This is critical for driving on the track, which is the reason I got the ZTR package in the first place. This also explains that bad R&T review of the 2 series as all professional track drivers immediately turn DSC off when getting on the track. Which means they were driving in comfort mode and didn't know it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Tested on a 2015 228i M-Sport ZTR (BMW's code for Track Package going forward)

Is there some trick to get Sport Mode (drivetrain and chassis) to be on at the same time as DSC off?

If I put it into Sport or Sport+, then hold DSC off, DSC turns off but the drivetrain and chassis goes into comfort mode.

If I turn DSC off and then put it up into Sport or Sport+, DSC turns on automatically.

I tested the above while going over a bumpy surface, I could tell when I turned DSC off the suspension went soft and the throttle went into comfort mode.

How can I have both the sport suspension and throttle while DSC is off? This is critical for driving on the track, which is the reason I got the ZTR package in the first place. This also explains that bad R&T review of the 2 series as all professional track drivers immediately turn DSC off when getting on the track. Which means they were driving in comfort mode and didn't know it.
DSC OFF it's a mode on itself like "Sport" or "Comfort"

DSC OFF is: throttle in comfort - suspension in sport - louder exhaust (ASD on)
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Check this out
Attached Images

07-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

This has been beaten to death already.
DSC off is its own mode with the correct setup for track which includes a lazier throttle for more accurate throttle feathering.

Don't know what you're talking about with the RT drivers, these magazine writers are mostly clowns anyway.

Edit: the suspension definitely does not go soft. I can guarantee you that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

DCS off is the best mode of all, I never use sport or sport + anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Check this out
You can. And you'll find it to be wrong.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You can. And you'll find it to be wrong.
How do you figure? This should be from the manufacturer.

I don't have the 8spd so I can't comment on the shift characteristics but everything else looks and feels right to me.
      07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
How do you figure? This should be from the manufacturer.

I don't have the 8spd so I can't comment on the shift characteristics but everything else looks and feels right to me.
Well, I'm not sure who it's from (I thought it was from a magazine, but what do I know), but it's for a 2104 335, not for a 2-series.

At a quick glance, the "Hold redline" and "Avoid kickdown" are wrong for an M235i, Auto start/stop hold settings are wrong, shift timing does not look right, the eLSD is column is certainly wrong for an xDrive and likely wrong on a RWD car, Launch Control doesn't look right, and the standard 2-series exhaust doesn't behave the same way as a 3-series M-Performance exhaust.

The chart's a hint, not a map.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
This also explains that bad R&T review of the 2 series as all professional track drivers immediately turn DSC off when getting on the track. Which means they were driving in comfort mode and didn't know it.
Randy Pobst is one of the few track drivers who knows what they're talking about and doesn't have any odd bias's while reviewing cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
DCS off is the best mode of all, I never use sport or sport + anymore.
So, starting in Comfort mode, you hold the DCS button until you get a "DCS Off" indication and the car drives better, and sportier, than in Sport + mode? Perhaps this makes more of a difference in the 6MT because I have an 8AT 228i M Sport w/Dinan Stage 1 and I would definitely miss the much sharper throttle and suspension behavior and more aggressive gearing in Sport and Sport + compared with Comfort. In Comfort mode with DSC off, I can see the advantages on the track of no TC and less jumpy throttle response in corners but for street driving, is it worth being in Comfort mode vs. Sport or Sport + just for the sake of having no active or passive TC?

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Well, I'm not sure who it's from (I thought it was from a magazine, but what do I know), but it's for a 2104 335, not for a 2-series.

At a quick glance, the "Hold redline" and "Avoid kickdown" are wrong for an M235i, Auto start/stop hold settings are wrong, shift timing does not look right, the eLSD is column is certainly wrong for an xDrive and likely wrong on a RWD car, Launch Control doesn't look right, and the standard 2-series exhaust doesn't behave the same way as a 3-series M-Performance exhaust.

The chart's a hint, not a map.
The chart was written by an F30post member who pulled most of the information from one of the technical bulletins written for the F chassis.

While there may be small tweaks over the past 2 years, generally speaking the adaptive settings for the dampers, throttle, and transmission should remain the same, as should the eLSD. The exhaust mappings and active sound have been tweaked over time, I do know that much.

The damper settings however should be correct, it has been discussed previously that you lose "Sport" throttle mapping, but sport mapping is simply artificially increasing the aggressiveness of the throttle. This is generally ideal because the "Comfort" setting for throttle is linear which is preferred for modulation. In sport you get the "Artificial" feeling of speed because at 50% pedal travel you are well above 50% throttle. The car is not faster, your foot has just pretended to move farther.

The chart should be pretty accurate other than that because there were not a huge amount of technical differences between the F2x and F3x (when similarly equipped with the sport auto + adaptive dampers).
      07-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I haven't driven the 228 on the track yet so I couldn't really test it, this was just on the way to work over speed bumps. So I could be completely wrong about this car. But I do have a 2014 (made in 2013) 328xiT M-Sport that I've driven on the track many times and I know the suspension is soft in that car when the DSC off. It sounds like things have changed since then?

Next time I'm on the track I'll use the M Laptimer App and measure the cornering performance of DSC Off vs Sport+, I'll also see if I can get in a M235 and do a proper 228 ZTR vs M235 with statistics from the M Laptimer.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have done a track weekend in my M235 already. First day in sport + second day in DSC off

My car is manual 6MT so the only difference between the two modes was the throttle sensitivity (lazier/comfort setting in DSC off vs hyper sensitive in comfort +) suspension is firm / same thing in both modes.

And obviously the DSC is completely off in DSC off mode which can be scary in the wrong hands but very enjoyable and controllable if you know what you're doing.

Bottom line is sport plus is a bull shit setting (at least on track) heel toe down shifts and throttle steering / throttle feathering are so much easier and more controllable in DSC off and the car allows for more sliding around which again if you know what you're doing is a great feeling.

I pretty much exclusively use comfort for commuting and DSC off on track with the occasional sport stint to hear the exhaust .. Never use sport + anymore
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I have done a track weekend in my M235 already. First day in sport + second day in DSC off

My car is manual 6MT so the only difference between the two modes was the throttle sensitivity (lazier/comfort setting in DSC off vs hyper sensitive in comfort +) suspension is firm / same thing in both modes.

And obviously the DSC is completely off in DSC off mode which can be scary in the wrong hands but very enjoyable and controllable if you know what you're doing.

Bottom line is sport plus is a bull shit setting (at least on track) heel toe down shifts and throttle steering / throttle feathering are so much easier and more controllable in DSC off and the car allows for more sliding around which again if you know what you're doing is a great feeling.

I pretty much exclusively use comfort for commuting and DSC off on track with the occasional sport stint to hear the exhaust .. Never use sport + anymore
And then there's people who think sport + is too dangerous lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The issue is that most of us including myself initially thought DSC off is just that. A way to turn off the nannies while maintaining whatever steering/throttle/suspension/transmission mode you are in.

It's not, hence the confusion. BMW should have labeled this "track mode" instead or allowed for more custom settings although as I explained before imo DSC off really works well with the lazy throttle
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #16
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

This is more applicable for F22:

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...?f=74&t=71296&
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #17
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
Lots of errors in that one. I can confirm Pikachu's chart is accurate.
      07-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #18
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The chart was written by an F30post member who pulled most of the information from one of the technical bulletins written for the F chassis.

While there may be small tweaks over the past 2 years, generally speaking the adaptive settings for the dampers, throttle, and transmission should remain the same, as should the eLSD. The exhaust mappings and active sound have been tweaked over time, I do know that much.

The damper settings however should be correct, it has been discussed previously that you lose "Sport" throttle mapping, but sport mapping is simply artificially increasing the aggressiveness of the throttle. This is generally ideal because the "Comfort" setting for throttle is linear which is preferred for modulation. In sport you get the "Artificial" feeling of speed because at 50% pedal travel you are well above 50% throttle. The car is not faster, your foot has just pretended to move farther.

The chart should be pretty accurate other than that because there were not a huge amount of technical differences between the F2x and F3x (when similarly equipped with the sport auto + adaptive dampers).
Comfort mode absolutely delays the throttle response time as well. Making quick downshift rev-matches a pain in the ass.

Sport mode is absolute must for city driving on a manual 2 Series car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Comfort mode absolutely delays the throttle response time as well. Making quick downshift rev-matches a pain in the ass.

Sport mode is absolute must for city driving on a manual 2 Series car.
I can agree with this, it does feel like there's a delay in throttle response in comfort mode.

But I also agree that you need the full range of the throttle for track driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Wonder if DTC ON is a mode on iteself too....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #21
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I have to say that for driving around the city and just having fun, DSC OFF is the best of everything for me...Launch Control works great, I can bust the rear end loose when I want and I still have a nice exhaust note.

Pikcachu is right, DSC Off is a mode in itself!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #22
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
So, starting in Comfort mode, you hold the DCS button until you get a "DCS Off" indication and the car drives better, and sportier, than in Sport + mode? Perhaps this makes more of a difference in the 6MT because I have an 8AT 228i M Sport w/Dinan Stage 1 and I would definitely miss the much sharper throttle and suspension behavior and more aggressive gearing in Sport and Sport + compared with Comfort. In Comfort mode with DSC off, I can see the advantages on the track of no TC and less jumpy throttle response in corners but for street driving, is it worth being in Comfort mode vs. Sport or Sport + just for the sake of having no active or passive TC?
Mines a manual and I dislike the throttle sensitivity on sport and sport+. DCS off will tighten the suspension and add the ediff. I can see your experience being different with the automatic and its shift points ect.
Appreciate 0