E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Take to Dealer?? paint scratch on bumper?!? leased car

02-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Angry Take to Dealer?? paint scratch on bumper?!? leased car

so I parked in a lot where I always park.. waaaay in the back.

I get in to work and about 2 hours later a co worker walks up to my office door and tells me she may have "scratched" my car.

I go down the the lot and look at my back drivers side fender. didnt look too bad. I work for a small company so I know her pretty well and I tell her I will get the car washed when i leave and see if there is any damage hiding under the salt spray. she insists she will pay for anything damaged etc..

I get the car washed and park outside the car wash lot.... big gouge an paint stripped away from the lower bumper.

so here is my question.... when we go the whole insurance thingy should I take the car to my dealer for the estimate or to an independant fix it shop for bmw's? this is my first BMW and its a lease so will the dealer hold the fix against me when I trade the car in at the end of the lease if I take it to them?

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Typical rule of thumb for damage to lease cars is you're ok if it's under the length of a business card. A gouge in the panel could be different since it involves a bit more then a respray.

Talk with your SA and see what shops they recommend and are BMW certified repair facilities.
      02-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
thanks! I wasnt sure what I shoudl do and a friend didnt help when he told me not to trust the Dealer.

I will contact them tomorrow.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
I had a deep gash on my front fender for my 530i a few years ago, and instead of opting to repaint it at an independent dealer, I just took the $500 they charged me because it was cheaper anyway. That may be an option for you as well, as long as you can live with the looks.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post
so I parked in a lot where I always park.. waaaay in the back.

I get in to work and about 2 hours later a co worker walks up to my office door and tells me she may have "scratched" my car.

I go down the the lot and look at my back drivers side fender. didnt look too bad. I work for a small company so I know her pretty well and I tell her I will get the car washed when i leave and see if there is any damage hiding under the salt spray. she insists she will pay for anything damaged etc..

I get the car washed and park outside the car wash lot.... big gouge an paint stripped away from the lower bumper.

so here is my question.... when we go the whole insurance thingy should I take the car to my dealer for the estimate or to an independant fix it shop for bmw's? this is my first BMW and its a lease so will the dealer hold the fix against me when I trade the car in at the end of the lease if I take it to them?
Dealer quoted me $325 to repaint bumper that had several "down to the plastic" scratches. You will also be able to get cheaper deals from independent shops. Most likely the dealer will require it to be fixed before lease return, or you can negotiate the cost of repair on return.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Tommy420
peace.love.health.happine ss
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 Montego/Blk lthr

How bad is the scratch? I suggest getting touch up paint from the dealer and doing it yourself. Just give them your vin number and they'll give you touch-up paint stick with exact paint color match.

For pics of my ride, go to www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108628
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Dealer quoted me $325 to repaint bumper that had several "down to the plastic" scratches. You will also be able to get cheaper deals from independent shops. Most likely the dealer will require it to be fixed before lease return, or you can negotiate the cost of repair on return.
+1
if the scratch is very obvious, the dealer would make you pay for it when you return the car... i suggest you look for an independent shop to do the repair since they will charge less than bmw.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0