F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First 340i reviews (compilation)
ARMA SPEED

07-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Arrow First 340i reviews (compilation)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
340i review compilation:

Autocar: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...tomatic-review
CAR: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...i-2015-review/
Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Autoexpress: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...acelift-review
Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/2016/road-test.html
Motoring Research: http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-...ive-0716983474
Motoring.com: http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...5-review-52512
Pistonheads: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/driv...i-driven/32535
The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/bmw/...s-first-drive/
Top Gear: http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/b...to/first-drive
Whatcar: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw/...review/1354178
Wheelsmag: http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews/...series-review/

Strong endorsements for the engine, transmission, handling, and even interior improvements (modest as they are). But it seems like VSS steering complaints are louder than ever? This is somewhat surprising, considering BMW seemed to suggest they made "improvements" in this area.
BMW has ruined the surprisingly fine electric power steering of the F30 3 Series...It's easy to ignore the steering when you've an engine this good...Like, say, an E60 M5, you don't realise quite how good it is until you start hoofing it. Only then will the beautifully precise and clean turn-in and sense of roadster-like rear-led chassis control be revealed, its wonderful balance and adjustability be engaged with...But for the horrible steering. It's sticky straight ahead, snatchy in response, seems to magnetically 'freeze' in corners and lacks any of the finesse I recall from the first-gen F30 3 Series.
- http://www.pistonheads.com/news/driv...i-driven/32535
Beneath, though, lies a reworked chassis for improved comfort and handling, and inside the cabin has been treated to upgraded materials...the 340i is a seriously impressive and addictive way to get around. Its six-cylinder twin-turbo engine is all-new (it isn't simply lifted from the M135i or M235i, despite having the same power) and its superbly smooth but hugely punchy power delivery is a joy to exploit...The 340i has more noises up its tailpipe, though; burbles on the overrun off the throttle and the odd pop on gear changes. The revised optional eight-speed gearbox works extremely well, too. It's sharper on multiple downshifts when taking control with the wheel-mounted paddles, but remains calm and intuitive when you just want to cruise along...The steering, while no quicker, feels a touch more responsive off centre too. Sport mode adds too much weight out of lower speed corners, but get up to speed and things improve. Comfort mode strikes the best balance between weight, precision and feedback across all speeds.
- http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw/...review/1354178
Formidable. Outstanding in lots of ways. But still the class’s benchmark on performance and handling? It’s too early to say, but the early signs aren’t universally promising...It makes the 340i a seriously fast car in full cry - as quick from standstill to 62mph as an E46 M3, in fact, and probably quite a lot quicker pulling from low revs. It’s also very frugal given its performance level...It’s much too early to start the obituary on this car’s peerless dynamic qualifications, but they’d certainly gone missing in the case of our 340i. The car rode quietly and comfortably, but it lacked the good initial damping and lateral grip levels to take to testing roads with any distinguishing alacrity. The car still handles relatively well – but it’s far from outstanding...BMW’s Variable Sport Steering remains the 3 Series’ biggest dynamic bugbear - it’s to be avoided on the order form at any cost.
- http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...tomatic-review
Appreciate 4
      07-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

More...

Plus: Sharper dynamics; improved ride; creamy smooth turbo six in 340i. Minus: Artificial steering; only minor visual changes; newer, potentially better, rivals...
Its new 240kW/450Nm turbocharged 3.0-litre six is a gem. Smooth, strong and with a rorty exhaust note, it’s a unit that manages to feel both wonderfully linear, yet deliciously torquey from below 2000rpm. A recalibrated, silky-smooth eight-speed automatic completes the drivetrain, with BMW’s engineers working tirelessly to ensure this new 3 Series is “sportier than ever”...All three grades (Standard, M Sport and Adaptive) boast stiffer suspension, revised damping and fettled steering to not only provide sharper dynamics, but improve body control and ride comfort. And the results, at least on these suspiciously smooth roads in Austria where the ride feels controlled and compliant, are positive...Letting the package down is new steering that, despite BMW’s efforts to make feedback more linear, feels inconsistent and artificial off centre, at least on the 340i with its sporty Michelin-shod 18-inch wheels.

- http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews/...series-review/
It's an engine with an obviously more accessible torque band, but one that is still quite happy to rev. There's a richer, deeper note to the engine too, that although distinctly ‘in-line six’ in character, is slightly more resonate than before. Enthusiasts will notice the muted tones of wastegate flutter when stepping sharply off the throttle...Much like the new engine, the changes to the chassis setting seem to gift the 3 Series with a broader range of talents. The car is more responsive to steering input and sharper on corner entry without being snappy...
We found the steering has improved slightly, but noticeably.

- http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...5-review-52512
[The inline six] is very, very good. It’s top-end is properly serious, with rangey power and a gently hair-raising growl. But of course it also oozes torque in the mid revs, so you can surf along with mild-mannered ease and still cover the ground at a pretty epic rate. A water-to-air charge cooler, instead of an air-to-air intercooler, is one of the measures to cut lag, but it hasn’t been entirely eliminated below about 3000. Still, from there to 7000rpm, it’s all fantastic news. The eight-speed autobox’s moves are perfectly in step, too...You can never forget the fine agility, easy progression and superb balance of the 3-series fundamentals...[The steering changes] raise more questions than it answers. Sure, there’s fantastic precision and feel at big efforts on smooth roads. But there’s also a lot of bump disturbance, camber sniffing and generally odd changes of weighting when the surface isn’t perfect. The 3-series always suffered a bit in this regard, but the serene stability of a Jaguar XE on a typical bumpy road shows there’s another way.
- http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/b...to/first-drive
The new modular-build straight-six 340i is the fastest 3-series money can buy, short of the all-out M3. It turns out 322bhp and 332lb ft, it’s hooked up to an unflappable eight-speed automatic gearbox, and it can make the 3-series go hilariously, stupendously quickly...Not only does it sound like a thoroughbred sports car, with a crunchy fanfare of pops and crackles on the overrun, it goes like one too: goodness me it’s quick. Power delivery is as responsive as it is smooth, with little in the way of turbo lag, and in the mid-range it’s simply devastating...Muddying the waters slightly was the brand-new optional ‘Variable Sport’ adaptive steering system fitted to all cars at the launch. It’s an extra-cost option which alters the steering’s rate of response according to speed and not all who tried it were enamoured with it, but I never found its responses anything other than consistent accurate.
- http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...i-2015-review/

Last edited by NightWriter; 07-16-2015 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Twin turbo?
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Does not sound great for VSS. I'm not thrilled with the general steering in my 335i much, but the VSS is nothing like what is being described here by some reviewers. Also, VSS didn't get many complaints at all in the pre LCI F30. It's the general steering in the F30 that has received many negatives.
What is begin stated in those excerpts almost sounds like there was something wrong with the system that was sent out to be reviewed, especially the first one.
"Sticky, snatchy, and freezing" in corners? VSS in my 335i is nothing like that.

Then there is this:
"Muddying the waters slightly was the brand-new optional ‘Variable Sport’ adaptive steering system fitted to all cars at the launch. It’s an extra-cost option which alters the steering’s rate of response according to speed and not all who tried it were enamoured with it, but I never found its responses anything other than consistent accurate."

VSS is not "adaptive", nor does it alter steering rate of response according to speed.
VSS as used in the first F30's is a purely mechanical system that ramps up ration according to increased steering lock beyond 100 degrees. What the reviewer up there is writing sounds more like what the E90's "active steering" was complained about.

This is making me rethink getting get the track pack with VSS.
All I really want is the Msport suspension or the M-adaptive suspension.
Maybe I'll just stick with Msport and leave out the track pack.
Damn it BMW! Why can't you get the 3 series right, like it used to be!?

I'm really hoping that these initials reviews are early examples and BMW actually corrects the problem asap before we in the US get the cars.

Last edited by RPM90; 07-16-2015 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Twin turbo?
Typo/wrong. A lot of updates, but it's still a twin-scroll, single turbocharger.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This is making me rethink getting get the track pack with VSS.
All I really want is the Msport suspension or the M-adaptive suspension.
Maybe I'll just stick with Msport and leave out the track pack.
Damn it BMW! Why can't you get the 3 series right, like it used to be!?

I'm really hoping that these initials reviews are early examples and BMW actually corrects the problem asap before we in the US get the cars.
I doubt it, as US-spec cars are already in production (including mine). Changes may be made in the future, of course, but who knows if/when/what.

I'm having some regrets now about having ordered the track package, though I did want the brakes, non-RF performance tires, and DHP.

Like you, I'm a little puzzled about some of these comments, given what VSS really is. Since they didn't test any models without it (as far as I can tell), they may be ascribing blame to VSS which is really inherent to the electric assist for all racks, VSS or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
ASHpro
The General*****
Canada
Rep
Drives: M440xi GC Snapper Rocks Blue

Great Job with this!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I wonder why it's all UK and one australian site that have released previews, maybe US sites are still under embargo?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Lost my credibility when he called it a twin turbo. So this writer A. Knows nothing about cars. B. Copies opinions of other car reviewers.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
I wonder why it's all UK and one australian site that have released previews, maybe US sites are still under embargo?
Good question. All I saw was "The International Media Launch of the new 2016 BMW 340i took place this week in Achenkirch, Austria."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I doubt it, as US-spec cars are already in production (including mine). Changes may be made in the future, of course, but who knows if/when/what.

I'm having some regrets now about having ordered the track package, though I did want the brakes, non-RF performance tires, and DHP.

Like you, I'm a little puzzled about some of these comments, given what VSS really is. Since they didn't test any models without it (as far as I can tell), they may be ascribing blame to VSS which is really inherent to the electric assist for all racks, VSS or not.
If I order with VSS and I get sticky, snatchy, or frozen like steering, then it'll sit at the dealer until BMW fixes it.
I passed over a lot of other great cars and brands to give BMW another try on the LCI 340i. I hope BMW doesn't make me a sucker by buying into their "revised" LCI marketing.

I didn't go with the 340i because of the new engine because the N55 in my 335i is fantastic as is. I am excited about the updates and changes to the suspension, steering, and auto trans.
I'm holding on to hope.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

argh!!!!

I am still holding onto my 2007 335i that I bought as soon as I heard about it's twin turbo replacing the 330i. It has been PERFECT for nearly 93k miles, especially since I gave it some JB4 and then Cobb love a few years ago.

The F30 continues to be a disappointment it seems!

Sorry to say, but I might have to go back to Audi or even take a look at the C450 AMG (even without a manual).

argh. I was REALLY hoping the LCI fixed all the bugs of the F30.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonkev View Post
argh!!!!

I am still holding onto my 2007 335i that I bought as soon as I heard about it's twin turbo replacing the 330i. It has been PERFECT for nearly 93k miles, especially since I gave it some JB4 and then Cobb love a few years ago.

The F30 continues to be a disappointment it seems!

Sorry to say, but I might have to go back to Audi or even take a look at the C450 AMG (even without a manual).

argh. I was REALLY hoping the LCI fixed all the bugs of the F30.
What are you referring to? Everything besides the VSS is getting fantastic previews.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
What are you referring to? Everything besides the VSS is getting fantastic previews.
Quite true on the overall LCI.

After reading all the reviews offered there is inconsistency with which reviewer had positive or neutral reaction to the retuned steering with VSS.
The 340i's all look similar with blue and white, but they have different plates.
So at least there appears to be something different between the cars regarding VSS.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Here's another review that provides a nice counterpoint. Maybe all the rest of these Brits copied off each other's notes before writing the same thing.

"Speaking of which, the response and feel from the revised steering system is noticeably improved from its predecessor with more weight, better response and a feeling of directness that was somewhat lacking before. Around the twisty mountainous terrain of the Austrian countryside, the 340i performed faultlessly."
- http://www.caradvice.com.au/366443/2...series-review/
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:54 PM   #16
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

I'll reserve judgement until some more reputable media orgs get their hands on it. I want to hear the VSS vs non-VSS reviews too.

.... and obviously I want to drive it back to back vs the C450 AMG myself. But I really don't see myself buying an auto tranny!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:54 AM   #17
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonkev View Post
I'll reserve judgement until some more reputable media orgs get their hands on it. I want to hear the VSS vs non-VSS reviews too.

.... and obviously I want to drive it back to back vs the C450 AMG myself. But I really don't see myself buying an auto tranny!
Better yet, go drive one... reputable media or not, it's all about marketing...What better way to get someone to read your review or watch your video than to complain about something.. In the car review world.. negative reviews of popular cars get more hits than positive ones.
      07-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Better yet, go drive one... reputable media or not, it's all about marketing...What better way to get someone to read your review or watch your video than to complain about something.. In the car review world.. negative reviews of popular cars get more hits than positive ones.
yup, hence "and obviously I want to drive it back to back vs the C450 AMG myself".

proof is in the pudding.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #19
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I'm wondering if the issue is not so much the steering ratio change that VSS brings, but the increased steering effort when engaging the DHP sport mode.

In "normal" driving on say a mountain road, I doubt many drivers would turn the steering wheel far enough to get into the 100 degree area where VSS does anything anyway. So the VSS feature should not matter when it comes to steering feel at higher speeds like this.

But if you flip the DHP switch to sport mode on the current model there is a definite increase in steering effort. I'm wondering if however BMW has tweaked that is what these reviewers are not liking?

I have a 2014 335i with DHP/VSS and did not order VSS on purpose this time on my 340i. I did order M-Sport with DHP though. Production completed a couple days ago, so I guess I'll see how this plays out in about in a month.

Thanks to OP for posting all these reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #20
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Better yet, go drive one...
There's the rub. It is near impossible to find a 2015 MY on the lot with DHP/VSS to test drive. Now with VSS being part of that track package, I suspect there will be even fewer on the lots.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #21
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

None of the reviews mention x drive from what I can tell. There's another bunch of reviews here too: 340i driven - multiple sources http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1151341
      07-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #22
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

I have the Pre LCI with VSS and I think it's the worst EPS steering I have tested with the possible exception Audi. That's right, Lexus, Honda, Mercedes all have better EPS systems then BMW. There is just no reason for high speed twitchiness it exhibits on the highway. It will then provide heft at very low speeds. It's the worst part of the car for me.
Appreciate 1