F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BENT MY RIM! How to improve ride quality on h&r springs
Studio RSR

07-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

BENT MY RIM! How to improve ride quality on h&r springs

Installed a killer set of morr wheels and dropped my car on h&r sports a month ago, but kept the struts and shocks stock. The car looks aesthetically so much better, but the ride quality just isn't there anymore. Anytime I hit a elevated part of the road going at a decent speed, it feels like my engine is going to drop out of my car.

I had it on a lift today, and I noticed a small bend on the rear right rim sigh. Probably from one of the numerous potholes I've hit in the last few weeks. Going to get it repaired sometime soon, but more importantly what kind of shocks should i install or other adjustments do I make to prevent this from happening again?? ive read people running h&r sports and bilstein shocks that have blown after potholes too. any members had better luck with a different combo?

I feel like with the summer tires I'm running, any kind of bump I hit puts so much pressure on my rims because the springs are so stiff. Theres nowhere for the pressure to be absorbed except for the rim. Even forged rims bend in new jersey

Last edited by kzflags; 07-18-2015 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post
Installed a killer set of morr wheels and dropped my car on h&r sports a month ago, but kept the struts and shocks stock. The car looks aesthetically so much better, but the ride quality just isn't there anymore. Anytime I hit a elevated part of the road going at a decent speed, it feels like my engine is going to drop out of my car.

I had it on a lift today, and I noticed a small bend on the rear right rim sigh. Probably from one of the numerous potholes I've hit in the last few weeks. Going to get it repaired sometime soon, but more importantly what kind of shocks should i install or other adjustments do I make to prevent this from happening again?? ive read people running h&r sports and bilstein shocks that have blown after potholes too. any members had better luck with a different combo?

I feel like with the summer tires I'm running, any kind of bump I hit puts so much pressure on my rims because the springs are so stiff. Theres nowhere for the pressure to be absorbed except for the rim. Even forged rims bend in new jersey
It's NJ.

If you're on anything larger than 18" wheels, then the solution or adjustment you need to make should be self explanatory.

Looking at the modifications you made, you have to realize that there are consequences to prioritizing looks over function.

Last edited by Polo08816; 07-18-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
It's NJ.

If you're on anything larger than 18" wheels, then the solution or adjustment you need to make should be self explanatory.
which is what
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
which is what
What diameter are your current wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What diameter are your current wheels?
19x9 and 19x10 wrapped in 245/35/19 and 275/30/19.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
19x9 and 19x10 wrapped in 245/35/19 and 275/30/19.
19" wheels are part of the problem.

18" non-RFT is the way to go in NJ. Opt for a bit taller of a sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
Anytime I hit a elevated part of the road going at a decent speed, it feels like my engine is going to drop out of my car. ...I feel like with the summer tires I'm running, any kind of bump I hit puts so much pressure on my rims because the springs are so stiff. Theres nowhere for the pressure to be absorbed except for the rim. Even forged rims bend in new jersey
It sounds like you're bottoming out frequently. If there's no more suspension travel left and there is still more energy to absorb, something is likely to bend or break. Higher profile tires would probably help, but I'd suggest that you look into a set of coilovers. I've been running KW street comforts and they seem to be able to handle the worst road conditions that I've encountered. I have bottomed once in the few months I've had them, but it wasn't a traumatic event. Mine are set towards the softer end of the range of adjustment which probably doesn't help in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj49er View Post
It sounds like you're bottoming out frequently. If there's no more suspension travel left and there is still more energy to absorb, something is likely to bend or break. Higher profile tires would probably help, but I'd suggest that you look into a set of coilovers. I've been running KW street comforts and they seem to be able to handle the worst road conditions that I've encountered. I have bottomed once in the few months I've had them, but it wasn't a traumatic event. Mine are set towards the softer end of the range of adjustment which probably doesn't help in that regard.
While true, the suspension isn't the most significant factor in bent/damaged wheels.

It most often is:

1. Wheel diameter/sidewall height
2. RFT vs. non-RFT

3. Possibly suspension.

If you search the forums, you'll be able to find many threads where people have damaged their wheels on a stock suspension. The common theme is they often live in pothole riddled areas and use 19+" wheels with RFTs.

I have 35k miles on my 2014 335i M Sport with 18" OEM wheels. Zero issues with wheel damage from potholes. I've spent the majority of my time in MD and Central/North NJ.

Advising the OP to spend additional money on a coilover system without addressing the most significant causes of wheel damage is misleading.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
While true, the suspension isn't the most significant factor in bent/damaged wheels.

It most often is:

1. Wheel diameter/sidewall height
2. RFT vs. non-RFT

3. Possibly suspension.

If you search the forums, you'll be able to find many threads where people have damaged their wheels on a stock suspension. The common theme is they often live in pothole riddled areas and use 19+" wheels with RFTs.

I have 35k miles on my 2014 335i M Sport with 18" OEM wheels. Zero issues with wheel damage from potholes. I've spent the majority of my time in MD and Central/North NJ.

Advising the OP to spend additional money on a coilover system without addressing the most significant causes of wheel damage is misleading.
I was looking for some thing more along the lines of a good set of shocks to pair with my current setup. It's not practical for me to go back to my OEM wheels and suspension, plus I love the look.

Im thinking about deflating my tires 1 or 2 psi to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

are there any members running koni shocks on their f30? Feedback?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
educated_layman
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
I was looking for some thing more along the lines of a good set of shocks to pair with my current setup. It's not practical for me to go back to my OEM wheels and suspension, plus I love the look.

I am 99% certain that rim damage occurs because the impact temporarily compresses the tire to an extent such that the surface of the road is in direct contact (via the rubber) with the rim itself, not because the tire is transmitting too much force to the wheel via air pressure. If that makes sense.

In fact, as I see it, it's impossible for rim damage to result from too much tire pressure. Static pressure is a scalar; it has no direction, and therefore the pressure is applied equally to the entire surface (there's no more air pressure on the bottom of your wheel than on the top; the force supporting the car is transmitted through the tire bead to the rim).

What I'm saying is that reducing your tire pressure will probably make this problem worse, not better.

Last edited by educated_layman; 07-19-2015 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by educated_layman View Post
I am 99% certain that rim damage occurs because the impact temporarily compresses the tire to an extent such that the surface of the road is in direct contact (via the rubber) with the rim itself, not because the tire is transmitting too much force to the wheel via air pressure. If that makes sense.

In fact, as I see it, it's impossible for rim damage to result from too much tire pressure. Static pressure is a scalar; it has no direction, and therefore the pressure is applied equally to the entire surface (there's no more air pressure on the bottom of your wheel than on the top; the force supporting the car is transmitted through the tire bead to the rim).

What I'm saying is that reducing your tire pressure will probably make this problem worse, not better.
interesting take, duly noted.

my thing is then, how does my rear rim bend when my 2 fronts are the ones taking most of the impact initially on severely uneven surfaces/potholes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
educated_layman
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
interesting take, duly noted.

my thing is then, how does my rear rim bend when my 2 fronts are the ones taking most of the impact initially on severely uneven surfaces/potholes.
I could speculate, but it would be...speculative. How many times have you experienced bent rear rims, and how many times have you experienced bent front rims? If the sample size is small, there's little sense in trying to attribute specific outcomes to anything systematic.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

+1 to what the educated_layman said.

Your fix isn't going to be suspension related. It's going to be less diameter, taller sidewall, and/or non-runflat.

But what certainly isn't practical, is fixing/replacing broken wheels all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
+1 to what the educated_layman said.

Your fix isn't going to be suspension related. It's going to be less diameter, taller sidewall, and/or non-runflat.

But what certainly isn't practical, is fixing/replacing broken wheels all the time.
im running non RFT already. But I literally bought these tires 4 weeks ago. Switching them out for a completely new set is gonna be costly to eat the difference in price.

agreed, hopefully no more fixing in the future. wish H&R made it apparent how freaking STIFFF their springs were.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #16
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
im running non RFT already. But I literally bought these tires 4 weeks ago. Switching them out for a completely new set is gonna be costly to eat the difference in price.

agreed, hopefully no more fixing in the future. wish H&R made it apparent how freaking STIFFF their springs were.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the M Performance Suspension is stiffer than the H&R springs.

But like what has been posted above, spring rates aren't going to have a significant impact on how wheels withstand pot hole damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #17
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the M Performance Suspension is stiffer than the H&R springs.

But like what has been posted above, spring rates aren't going to have a significant impact on how wheels withstand pot hole damage.
new jersey has the worst roads in the country, bar none. i spend all of my time avoiding holes now on the road instead of driving.

got my wheels fixed though
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #18
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep

Glad to hear that you got your Morr's straightened out.

Quote:
i spend all of my time avoiding holes now on the road instead of driving.
I'm all for trying to avoid potholes, but driving in NJ on 19" wheels doesn't have to completely ruin your life.

Note the comment, "we were going over bumps on purpose and laughing at how nice they are." Xdrive with 245/35-19's on KW Street Comfort coilovers:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&#post18064532

FWIW
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm all for trying to avoid potholes, but driving in NJ on 19" wheels doesn't have to completely ruin your life.

Note the comment, "we were going over bumps on purpose and laughing at how nice they are." Xdrive with 245/35-19's on KW Street Comfort coilovers:

FWIW
i have no doubt in my mind that the coils will bring the ride quality back to a stock feel, maybe even lighter.

but i agree with polo the problem of bending wheels is still the thin sidewalls. did some extensive research and chatted with the guy who fixed my wheels.

are you on aftermarket wheels with your KWs? if so, youve had no trouble with the roads in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #20
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

FWIW
and plus, f30's come with stock 19'' and even 20'' rims too. no reason why we cant roll around in them too
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #21
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i have no doubt in my mind that the coils will bring the ride quality back to a stock feel, maybe even lighter.

but i agree with polo the problem of bending wheels is still the thin sidewalls. did some extensive research and chatted with the guy who fixed my wheels.

are you on aftermarket wheels with your KWs? if so, youve had no trouble with the roads in NJ?
I agree with everything that polo had to say, but there may be more to it. When you first said, "it feels like my engine is going to drop out of my car" that sounds to me like you're suspension is bottoming out. If that's the case, I think that's when the wheels are most at risk with low profile tires. The 245/35-19's have a sidewall that is only 4mm shorter than the OEM 225/40's...so they're not really extreme. But they are 15mm shorter than the OEM 225/45-18's which obviously provide greater protection for the wheel.

My theory is this: When you hit a road hazard and the suspension is able to absorb the impact in its compression stroke without bottoming, some of the energy is transferred to the spring and damper. Once the suspension bottoms, though, the wheel and tire are caught between an unforgiving pothole and the momentum of a 3,800-lb car. I believe that this is where the greatest danger lies. I'm sure that someone will correct me if this interpretation is unfounded.

My wheels are Apex EC-7's. Worst troubles I've had with wheels/tires in 50 years on NJ roads have been a few slow leaks.

What did you learn from your extensive research and chat with the wheel guy?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #22
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Former NJ'er, current MI'er. Two states notorious for having the worst roads in the country.

I have 19s, 245/40/19, "flow-forged" wheels, Dinan springs. This is the best setup, I haven't bent a single rim.

Get the extra sidewall, it will help over the 30 profile. The H&Rs are too low/stiff for the roads in NJ, the shocks will help, but I think the ultimate solution is a better wheel/tire setup. Get Dinan springs which are more forgiving. Also make sure you research the appropriate tires, some tires will be a bit softer so that they will absorb impacts better. I also recommend buying a spare wheel.

Avoid deep potholes at all costs. Drive slower through rough sections. I rode on 19s in NJ/Philadelphia for 2 years on my E90, I bent wheels a couple times. Even the 17s I had on my stock Acura bent catching a nasty pothole in Jersey City.