F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Additional strut bumpers after MPS Install?
proTUNING Freaks

07-19-2015, 01:41 AM   #1
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i

Additional strut bumpers after MPS Install?

Hey guys, so I need some help on trying to obtain that feeling of confidence that my m performance suspension was done right.

So yesterday I made the switch from M Sport Suspension to M Performance Suspension. I told them to put all the sport suspension parts in a box in my trunk after they were done. Just checked the box, and now I have 2 extra strut bumpers. Now I tried on realoem.com to find pictures of parts between sport vs performance, can't find a sports parts list to compare for some reason...leads me straight to performance parts instead

Assumption: Knowing that the 2 rear struts have 2 attached strut bumpers, I am assuming 2 of the ones below belong to the sports suspension...I am thinking its the larger one...which possibly means the other smaller one was for the performance suspension that installers forgot to install ...how will this affect the front components if I don't get this fixed in a few days? can the ride last a week without anything else getting damaged?

Update:
so I checked the part numbers; the bottom left rear strut is 33536857730 which has the bumper beneath the shock mount attached. Next are the 2 large bumper on the right side which belongs to the front struts 31336857729. So this leaves us the bottom right small bumpers...which has no part number, and they look to be for the rear struts...which I obviously can't have another pair...which leads me to believe installer left them out? correct me if I am wrong somewhere...

thanks

Last edited by WP7778; 07-19-2015 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: updated
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
2 are for the front struts, 2 are for the rear shocks. Don't think there's anything off here. Plus if they were new they wouldn't be dirty.
      07-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
2 are for the front struts, 2 are for the rear shocks. Don't think there's anything off here. Plus if they were new they wouldn't be dirty.
Ah but the funny thing is, I already have 2 of them on the rears which are not in this picture, so that makes a total of 6 that I have back with me, lol. And also, what I wanted to confirm was what the front bumpers looked like because I believe those are a bit larger than the ones from the performance suspension kit. Can't find any user pics that have them while realoem.com doesn't contain the "real" pics, just diagrams
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Ah, dunno then. I just know when I did my coilovers there were 4 visible bumpstops. Jack up the rear to see if the bumpstops are installed. Should take you a minute and they're easily visible.
      07-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Ah, dunno then. I just know when I did my coilovers there were 4 visible bumpstops. Jack up the rear to see if the bumpstops are installed. Should take you a minute and they're easily visible.
thanks for the reply man, I don't know why I didn't think of that (frantic mode). So it looks like I do got them in the rear.

can't check the fronts cause its covered by the tube protector within the springs. Well...process of elimination I guess...there's the missing link

wonder why though? has anybody had any experience where installer thought it wasn't necessary to put them in the front?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:56 AM   #6
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Some struts come with internal bump stops - a lot of Bilstein setups have them, but I have no idea about the M Performance setup. My guess is that it comes with its own set of bumpstops.
      07-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's all good, just checked with installer, for some reason the smaller bump stops were too small to even fit in the tube protector that goes over the struts, so they used their own bumpers. Must've been used for packaging purposes, although don't know why they made it in the same form and color as all the other bumpers, lol.

Problem resolved! Thanks Chowbow for all your inputs
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP7778 View Post
It's all good, just checked with installer, for some reason the smaller bump stops were too small to even fit in the tube protector that goes over the struts, so they used their own bumpers. Must've been used for packaging purposes, although don't know why they made it in the same form and color as all the other bumpers, lol.

Problem resolved! Thanks Chowbow for all your inputs