Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI

Mental Justification (£)

So, having had my M4 vert for 6 days, its obviously got a lot of attention with friends, family, colleagues, neighbours etc
Some love it, some hate it, but what i get more than anything is people asking me how i can justify spending "that sort of money on a car" & " dont you have better things to spend it on, 2nd house to rent out, kids trust funds etc"

Now, i live in a 4 bedroom detached house, have a decent holiday, wife has a new Qashqai, wife doesnt work, the kids dont ever go without by any stretch ..but, dont get me wrong, i spend most of what i earn BUT no one in my family goes without because ive brought a 60K car. But it has started to play on my mind and made me feel really selfish for buying the car and should i have done something more "Sensible" with it

Not sure what my question or point is here, but just wondered if anyone else has a little wobble sometimes about the cost of these M cars and the mental guilt of whether they should have spent it elsewhere?

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
You only live once, enjoy the vert
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
So, having had my M4 vert for 6 days, its obviously got a lot of attention with friends, family, colleagues, neighbours etc
Some love it, some hate it, but what i get more than anything is people asking me how i can justify spending "that sort of money on a car" & " dont you have better things to spend it on, 2nd house to rent out, kids trust funds etc"

Now, i live in a 4 bedroom detached house, have a decent holiday, wife has a new Qashqai, wife doesnt work, the kids dont ever go without by any stretch ..but, dont get me wrong, i spend most of what i earn BUT no one in my family goes without because ive brought a 60K car. But it has started to play on my mind and made me feel really selfish for buying the car and should i have done something more "Sensible" with it

Not sure what my question or point is here, but just wondered if anyone else has a little wobble sometimes about the cost of these M cars and the mental guilt of whether they should have spent it elsewhere?

The people telling you to spend your money elsewhere will always have something to say.

I ordered my f80 and could care less what people think I should do with my money. As long as you're happy then no one else matters except your wife and children.

Most of my family are jealous so I don't talk to them and they don't like it when people are better off then them.

This is all from my personal experience though and I don't tell people what to do with their money.
Appreciate 3
      07-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
If you're financially responsible and can afford it, do whatever you want with the money. Why bother working, saving and investing, if you never cash out and enjoy life.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys , just the replies i was hoping for (And needed!)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
northerngooner
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Tanzanite Blue

You work hard at what you do, we all must to be able to afford one of these. If your employed then your bloody good at what you do, if it's your own business then it's your money and your risk that's built it. Whatever your situation, when your 85 you won't have one, but you'll never have any regrets looking back and remembering. So bottom line? It's your money, ignore them, put the roof down and blip the throttle as you drive past!
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
I get this too and I've not bought my M4 yet but every other time I bought a new car. Bottom line is you shouldn't care what other people say as their comments are driven by myriad of differnent reasons from jealously to not understanding others passion for cars. Personally, my main drive for making money was for a car. Obviously this is now second to family but, like you, I'm more than providing there.

My advice is, having spent so much on your car, DO NOT let these people spoil it for you. You deserve it. Enjoy
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 01:00 AM   #8
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
It's no ones business. If you can afford it then why not splash out on a new M! Enjoy it mate and forget about what others say!
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 04:07 AM   #9
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

I get this rather a lot too. I usually just shrug it off with a 'because I can' but if they are really grilling me or just won't let it go I ask them what they love doing/having, then ask how much they spend on that and then grill them back if I can be bothered.
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #10
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Why would you want to pay 60k into your kids trust fund when you can buy an M4
Appreciate 4
      07-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #11
dunny247
dunny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 frozen black

Just enjoy. You only live once and it's short enough already. I get it all the time too. But it's me who's at work 65 hrs a week and no one is giving me any help there. So its my money I'll spend it how I want too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d LCI M Sport

I spend 200 days per year in Iraq, so having an M3 is my reward for being in this crap hole!

If its affordable to me without impacting my other financial commitments then thats what I'll drive, when I can't afford it then it goes, simples.

Gone: F56 Mini JCW - F80 M3 - F20 M135i - E89 Z4 - F30 335d - E92 M3 - E81 118d - Audi Q7 - E90 335d - VW Scirocco 2.0GT - And a few bangers not worth mentioning.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
RossP
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

You could be dead tomorrow! Enjoy it while you can.

(the workshop manager at my local dealer died unexpectedly last week aged 46 for example)
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Yup enjoy it. I get a lot of the same when they see the m4 and m5, I then wind them up by saying another car is ordered and on the way (which quite often is true!)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #15
Greennigel
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

...I used to feel a bit guilty when I first bought the beast thinking I should of invested in a second property, sort of consolidate my future an all that...now water has past under the bridge and I find my finances getting back together again...2nd house ?? No no looking at the new M5 for my fleet Lol ill keep you posted !!
      07-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #16
M Heart
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I got this sort of situation/comments from some people around me too. I used to have an e46 M3 for a few years and loved it. Then my wife and I were expecting our baby boy so I decided to be the sensible/responsible family man which led to selling my M3 in place to get a larger/roomier car, so I got an F10 535i since no 4 door M3 was available at the time. But nice and comfortable as the 535i is, it's just not fun to drive so I'm bored of it and wanted a different car. The opportunity came across to get either a new M3 and also I played with the idea of getting a 7 series just because the fact that one can be had for an awesome deal right now due to the arrival of the 2016 model soon. Anyway, I asked my wife which one should I get the M3 or the 7 and that the 7 would actually be considerably less expensive. She said "get the M3". I then asked her why and not save a bit by getting the 7? She responded "because you always wanted to get back into an M. If you're going to spend "X" already, why not pay "X" more and by happy? You'll get the 7 and be happy for a bit since it would be a different car (and nice by the way), but after awhile you will end up bored with it for the same reasons you're bored with the 5". Also, since we only have 1 child right now (2 years old), it would be the last time within the near future I could have/justify having/affording the M3. So enjoy life and be happy! With that said, my F80 is scheduled to hit the port on the 30th ?.
Sorry if thread jacking somehow.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #17
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Heart View Post
I got this sort of situation/comments from some people around me too. I used to have an e46 M3 for a few years and loved it. Then my wife and I were expecting our baby boy so I decided to be the sensible/responsible family man which led to selling my M3 in place to get a larger/roomier car, so I got an F10 535i since no 4 door M3 was available at the time. But nice and comfortable as the 535i is, it's just not fun to drive so I'm bored of it and wanted a different car. The opportunity came across to get either a new M3 and also I played with the idea of getting a 7 series just because the fact that one can be had for an awesome deal right now due to the arrival of the 2016 model soon. Anyway, I asked my wife which one should I get the M3 or the 7 and that the 7 would actually be considerably less expensive. She said "get the M3". I then asked her why and not save a bit by getting the 7? She responded "because you always wanted to get back into an M. If you're going to spend "X" already, why not pay "X" more and by happy? You'll get the 7 and be happy for a bit since it would be a different car (and nice by the way), but after awhile you will end up bored with it for the same reasons you're bored with the 5". Also, since we only have 1 child right now (2 years old), it would be the last time within the near future I could have/justify having/affording the M3. So enjoy life and be happy! With that said, my F80 is scheduled to hit the port on the 30th ?.
Sorry if thread jacking somehow.

Im with you mate. I had crazy cars, then the kids arrived and made me sensible. My mrs did say something similar actually and i guess if they are telling us its ok, then it must be ok

Like everyone says on here, life is too short. My kids will get my current house and 50% of my company if i popped my clogs tomorrow so theyd be setup and sorted

I guess if you were spending 1K+ a month it might be a different story .

We all work dam hard in life so seems fair to have something we enjoy to make it worth while
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #18
dunny247
dunny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 frozen black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greennigel View Post
...I used to feel a bit guilty when I first bought the beast thinking I should of invested in a second property, sort of consolidate my future an all that...now water has past under the bridge and I find my finances getting back together again...2nd house ?? No no looking at the new M5 for my fleet Lol ill keep you posted !!
I thought it was just me ! Great to see that I'm not the only one. Who needs a second house anyway lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

IMO the F8x BMW's are probably the finest car on the road especially for the price for what you get.

With that said there alot of people out their who have personally figured out the true key to happiness, whether they realize it or not this statement stands true "you don't want what you can't have", Once you want what you can't have your not happy until you get it!

The people that talk your car down for ANY reason, are just these people. They just can't be happy around you unfortunately and will think of all the reasons what you've done is wrong, lost a few friends over my successes, you just have to understand why, then move on.

Misery loves company and the people you mention, would feel better about you and themselves, if you had less, lol.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0