E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Guibo disk replacement and exhaust removal tips

07-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
snayko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

Guibo disk replacement and exhaust removal tips

So, gonna do driveshaft flex disk replacement and in order to do that will need to remove exhaust.
What unexpected problem can arise during this job ?
What other parts better to replace as well, maybe some gaskets ?

I already bought guibo disk and bolts and nuts.
Do I need to use some exhaust sealant after I put exhaust back (some permatex or other ones ) ?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snayko View Post
So, gonna do driveshaft flex disk replacement and in order to do that will need to remove exhaust.
What unexpected problem can arise during this job ?
What other parts better to replace as well, maybe some gaskets ?

I already bought guibo disk and bolts and nuts.
Do I need to use some exhaust sealant after I put exhaust back (some permatex or other ones ) ?
I've done the exact same repair. I've had the drive shaft out at least 3 times on my '06 325i.

For a guibo replacement all you need to do is pull the drive shaft back a bit once you have the nuts removed. Note the orientation of the bolt heads and nuts; they are staggered.

For the exhaust, get 4 new exhaust flange nuts and two new gaskets. The exhaust is very heavy and unbalanced, so have a friend help with the removal. Also spend the money on a set of exhaust hanger removal pliers. Any auto parts store will have one. No sealant needed.

Good luck.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-25-2015 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
snayko
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the tips
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've done the exact same repair. I've had the drive shaft out at least 3 times on my '06 325i.

For a guibo replacement all you need to do is pull the drive shaft back a bit one you have the nuts removed. Not the orientation of the bolt heads and nuts; they are staggered.

For the exhaust, get 4 new exhaust flange nuts and two new gaskets. The exhaust is very heavy and unbalanced, so have a friend help with the removal. Also spend the money on a set of exhaust hanger removal pliers. Any auto parts store will have one. No sealant needed.

Good luck.
Pretty much all of this, I used a jack at the back and front of the exhaust to lower/raise it with one person though.

Get some spray grease to lube up the hangers also, makes it easy to pop the exhaust back into the hangers.
      07-25-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
Foxes
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Well, just be careful of those little lambda sensors. They are apparently pretty sensitive. Had my car in the workshop for a diff refresh and they managed to scrap both my exhaust sensors. Now it's down to debate of who foots the bills, not cheap mind you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 05:16 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
Pretty much all of this, I used a jack at the back and front of the exhaust to lower/raise it with one person though.

Get some spray grease to lube up the hangers also, makes it easy to pop the exhaust back into the hangers.
I just use spit.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxes View Post
Well, just be careful of those little lambda sensors. They are apparently pretty sensitive. Had my car in the workshop for a diff refresh and they managed to scrap both my exhaust sensors. Now it's down to debate of who foots the bills, not cheap mind you.
You don't need to remove the lamda sensors (O2 sensors). to remove the exhaust from the cats back.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Make sure you mark the exact placement of the drive shaft they are balanced ...If not put back in the same place you can get vibrations issues
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
bena1701
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI 6MT

Just curious-- why are you replacing the guibo? I'm slightly suspicious I might need to do mine soon and am curious about any "symptoms" you may have had. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

What's the guibo on those look like? If the 1M version fits, it may be a good "upgrade" to consider:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869325

I'm running one currently with no issues. Not sure if it's a direct replacement on your model though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
snayko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bena1701 View Post
Just curious-- why are you replacing the guibo? I'm slightly suspicious I might need to do mine soon and am curious about any "symptoms" you may have had. Thank you
I'm having 2-1 shift problem.
And before considering to replace mechatronic on my transmission, wanna try this first, because I've heart that it could be a problem. What's more I feel slight vibration while accelerating.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
snayko
Private First Class
Rep

I've read a couple manuals on how to replace guibo. But still don't understand what
side it should be bolted to transmission and what direction of bolts.
I see markings (arrows ) : 3 of them in one direction and other 3 backwards.
In manual to my Flex Disk I see the picture that shows like 3 bolts pointing to one side (transmission flange) and other 3 pointing to driveshaft flange.

But in all manuals and videos I see that all bolts should be directed to one side ?
Can somebody clarify it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Take a pic of the old one before you remove it. Once you get in there and see the old one it will make sense. I did this and the center support bearing on my E46. I assume it's about the same job on an E90.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
snayko
Private First Class
Rep

replaced! Nothing difficult.
But I'm a little bit frustrated. Looks like transmission problem still present and there was no need to replace that disk cause it is still in good shape (no cracks and sings that it's worn out except the rubber is too flexible in comparison to new one - probably because of multiple heating cycles ) And that is strange because car is 9 years old and over 100k miles.

So next thing is transmission solenoids. Hope it will finally fix problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
Robimplicit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2; 335d

Flex disk (guibo) replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

For a guibo replacement all you need to do is pull the drive shaft back a bit once you have the nuts removed. Note the orientation of the bolt heads and nuts; they are staggered.

Good luck.
I think I need to replace the flex disk on my 335d.
Just to confirm what Efthreeoh said above, if replacing the flex disk only, I can undo the nuts/bolts and pry back the driveshaft a bit to get the old disk out and the new disk in?
I want be sure there is no need to loosen the center support bracket or undo anything else on the drive shaft. That is, with the bolts out of the disk, there will be enough slack to clear the disk? Thanks.
Appreciate 0