BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

What indoor cover do you use?

I'm looking for a custom fit indoor cover for my 1M and do not like the weathershield fabric that is used in the cover BMW offers for the car because it doesn't seem soft enough (would probably lead to scratches). From what I can tell the aftermarket custom fit covers for the 1 series are supposed to fit all 1 series cars, but I can't believe they would fit the 1M given that it is wider and slightly longer than a 135i and 128i. Has anyone purchased a custom fit indoor cover that fits their 1M?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

What makes you think that you need a cover on your car when it is stored indoors?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Helps keep the dust off

I'm also wondering what sort of indoor cover to use. I have a soft covers on my bikes, and share the same concerns about the official one causing scratches if the car is 100% clean when the cover is put on. Keen to hear what everyone else uses.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Helps keep the dust off

I'm also wondering what sort of indoor cover to use. I have a soft covers on my bikes, and share the same concerns about the official one causing scratches if the car is 100% clean when the cover is put on. Keen to hear what everyone else uses.
Not meaning to call either of you "anal," however whenever I see pictures of immaculately clean garages with enthusiast cars wrapped in covers, that word does wander into my mind.

Everyone has seen older cars that were stored outside and compared them to older cars stored inside. The differences are pretty staggering. But assuming that one's garage is not also one's woodworking shop, or site of other damaging vapors and airborne substances, what on earth is gained by covering up a car indoors that is not counterbalanced by the likelihood of accidentally scratching the car's finish by taking off and putting on a cover?

I see more likelihood of damage to the car than benefit, but then that is just me, and I'm pretty anal about my cars and other stuff.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Not meaning to call either of you "anal," however whenever I see pictures of immaculately clean garages with enthusiast cars wrapped in covers, that word does wander into my mind.

Everyone has seen older cars that were stored outside and compared them to older cars stored inside. The differences are pretty staggering. But assuming that one's garage is not also one's woodworking shop, or site of other damaging vapors and airborne substances, what on earth is gained by covering up a car indoors that is not counterbalanced by the likelihood of accidentally scratching the car's finish by taking off and putting on a cover?

I see more likelihood of damage to the car than benefit, but then that is just me, and I'm pretty anal about my cars and other stuff.
These are great points and i agree 99%. A few years back, someone was selling a Ferrari 308 to a friend of mine. It was in perfect condition as the gentleman kept it in his perfect garage uncovered for many years. He hardly drove it to keep it from getting damaged. The problem was that there was a window in the garage and the light was hitting the Ferrari in the same spot for years and it burned the windows shape (roughly) into the paint. If it would've been even throughout the car, it wouldn't have been noticeable but the paint now had a blemished section It was a real bummer. I also had an instance where I had a new garage door opener installed and lubricated the screw drive. Later I realized some oil leaked onto the roof of my car. Luckily I spotted it right away so while I don't cover my cars in the garage, I can see why some would want to.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

I'm definitely anal

In my case, the main reason for a cover is that my rangehood actually vents into the garage...not ideal. The bikes live under this, so a decided to get covers for both of them. They're soft covers, so no chance of scratching as they go on.

Given the car is living in the same garage, I thought I may as well dot he same for it. Plus it will help to protect against minor scuffs like my dog walking past it, or someone clipping it with a ring etc as they walk past. Fairly anal, but better than having to get it touched up.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

We're car enthusiasts! We're going to be anal about our cars!
      08-12-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So...anyone use a soft indoor cover??
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #9
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

I have just started using one of the American released 1M car covers, I have a basement garage and have had enough of washing the car, not driving it for a couple of weeks and then requiring another wash due to the greasy city dust that blows into the garage and settles, that sort of shitty ass dust that doesn't dust off but leaves a greasy smear.

Only use if the car is just cleaned and not being driven.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #10
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I'm really tempted to get one of those but I'm not sure that it'll always be sparkling when it goes under it. That's why I'm thinking a super-soft cover may be more suitable.

Planning on keeping it at work in our warehouse during the week, and it would be nice to keep excess dust off more than anything.
Appreciate 0