EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Track Notes #3

I haven't posted much lately, so I'll do an update with Watkins Glen and another Summit Point events behind me.

First time at Watkins Glen ever... I have no clue how MasterC17 pulled off a 2:10 there, given the track surface I could not even break 2:30 there. Had more than couple of minor saves even when I was not aggressive and driving at intermediate pace, the surface was horrendous. I could not get heat into the tires driving slowly, and could not find grip at all and I grained all four tires. Brakes worked superbly though, it was almost the only thing I could count on.

I am glad the track resurfacing has started, I strongly disliked the track as is. The trip back and forth to WGI was so comfortable and pleasant in the F82

Last weekend I was back at Summit Point. Hottest days of the year, 92-98 ambient, heat index 105-108. F82 did not mind it at all From a heat management perspective, it performed better than any of my previous cars. Many cars were overheating, a 944 even almost caught fire, the M4 was all smiles.

Thanks to the heat (track surface >130 degF) I was able to get rid of the graining from WGI quickly, after that the tires worked superbly with the help of new camber plates, the front grip was astounding. The more I dug in, the more I had, but I still came up short of extracting all it had I think. The front tire temps remained between 170-178 degF, rears were between 140-150. I have been experimenting with tire pressure every event, and this time around I really liked the 36F/34R hot setup and looking at the wear, I can go 1 more psi lower on the fronts.

Last time at this track my best time was 1:28.0, this time around I was repeatedly in the high 25s with a best of 25.7. Majority of the track-dedicated Caymans, Boxters and 911s were at 24s due to heat, where these drivers easily are in the 21s and 22s normally. So comparably, getting into the 25s with a street-based car was a success for me.

The brakes worked even better with the heat; the more heat, the better they get. No over heating of any kind, the rotors still look great, but pads are now down to 55-60%. I can probably squeeze one more event out of them if conditions are around 70 degF ambient.

I feel much better with the car now, the relationship is getting closer There is a lot more in the car, and now I am understanding better how to extract it. I kept all in Sport+ and smoothness of all the controls were just superb.

Two more notes to share:
(1) I was working with an instructor candidate and playing the role of an advance beginner and I kept the all nannies on driving at a slow pace. The DSC light would not stop flashing out of corners and continuously cut throttle even though I was extremely conservative with my inputs. I switched to MDM and it was much better, but during normal driving neither are good IMHO.

(2) during a checkout ride for promotion to next level, I rode in the new Z06 the student had. The driver was very good and promoted him, but I really did not like the car as a prospective buyer. The grip and power levels were faultless, but just the ambience in the cabin and the view out front was very discomforting to me. I am sure I can overcome those, but if I was to test drive one having never owned one, I could not risk $100K+ on it to find out frankly. Otherwise, the quality of the interior and performance were really good, the student was consistently turning 24s and 25s on MPSC2s.

Last edited by FTS; 07-25-2015 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading posts like this.

What is your set up as far as camber plates and alignment, wheels and tires?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Nice notes, thanks!

What were the mods on the caymans that are normally in the 21s?

Crazy that they are keeping the same pace as a c7z that day. Was it because the student was leaving a lot on the table still?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Thanks for the report. If you're so inclined, please put an entry in the lap times thread. Thanks.

The new C7Z can be wickedly fast, but many guys that are pushing them hard at the track are having over overheating problems I wouldn't own one right now until they figure it out.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #5
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Machiavelli View Post
What is your set up as far as camber plates and alignment, wheels and tires?
TCK plates, -2.5 front and -2.0 rear camber, 0 toe front and factory toe-in rear. CCW 10x19 front and 11x19 rear wheels, 265/35 front and 325/30 rear tires (R888).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Nice notes, thanks!

What were the mods on the caymans that are normally in the 21s?
Mostly stripped, coilovers, NT01 tires, wider wheels, cage/seats/harness, moderate splitters and rear wings, some have modified engine internals for lightless and durability as well and 2-way diff. Club racing GTB caymans are running in the low 19s during qualifying, but to run those times, they need Cup car level aero and 3.8 ltr engine.
Quote:
Crazy that they are keeping the same pace as a c7z that day. Was it because the student was leaving a lot on the table still?
The C7 driver was promoted from advance beginner to intermediate, so he hasn't yet learned all the techniques, and yes he was leaving quite a bit in the corners and under braking. I am sure that car can run in the teens in advance group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
The new C7Z can be wickedly fast, but many guys that are pushing them hard at the track are having over overheating problems I wouldn't own one right now until they figure it out.
Yes I heard about that as well, this car during the event did not exhibit any issues I am aware.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

FTS Nice report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
This is true. I was at RPM last month, both C7 Z06 went into limp mode due to overheating after 2-3 20min sessions.

The auto overheated quicker than the manual (Tranny shares the engine's radiator for cooling, it's a snowball affect when the engine gets hot).

The fix? Competition Radiators. (You'll notice the tranny oil lines run into the radiator in the photos on the website below, clearly it should be separated and should be recalled)

The fix: http://weaponx-c7.myshopify.com/prod...ition-radiator

The result: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...06-grills.html

Last edited by JNoSol; 07-26-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
First time at Watkins Glen ever... given the track surface I could not even break 2:30 there.
That means you need to push a lot more . I guess it will come when you gain confidence with the car.

First and only time at the Glen, I was able to pull a few 2:17s with my E92 and I know quite a few spots were I left plenty of time on the table :

The Glen is so misleading because of all that banking in the turns, you can carry so much more speed that you think possible.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
I haven't posted much lately, so I'll do an update with Watkins Glen and another Summit Point events behind me.

First time at Watkins Glen ever... I have no clue how MasterC17 pulled off a 2:10 there, given the track surface I could not even break 2:30 there. Had more than couple of minor saves even when I was not aggressive and driving at intermediate pace, the surface was horrendous. I could not get heat into the tires driving slowly, and could not find grip at all and I grained all four tires. Brakes worked superbly though, it was almost the only thing I could count on.

I am glad the track resurfacing has started, I strongly disliked the track as is. The trip back and forth to WGI was so comfortable and pleasant in the F82

On my last trip there in June I thought the track surface was still in reasonable shape and not much different than my previous trips of more than 2 years ago.My issues there this this year might have been of a self induced nature by leaving the MDM on by accident but I certainly found my car was working good on the AD08R's and had more grip than my E92 did on NT05's and I got into the 2.14's without pushing that hard with a passenger onboard which is as fast as I went solo pushing hard in my stock E92.WGI is a place where you must have commitment and confidence to go quick.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That means you need to push a lot more . I guess it will come when you gain confidence with the car.

The Glen is so misleading because of all that banking in the turns, you can carry so much more speed that you think possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
On my last trip there in June ...WGI is a place where you must have commitment and confidence to go quick.
You both are right, it was more of a confidence issue for me. I was not in the groove all weekend, had missed a tennis tournament I really wanted to attend, and I was jumping from students car to car, and I just could not connect with my car.

The blue barriers did not hold me back, but I just felt slippery all the time for some reason. I'll do better next year
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
it was more of a confidence issue for me.
Sounds as much a good decision not to push when you are not at 100% as a confidence issue

Appreciate 1