E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Yellow ABS/DSC/Brake lights help please

07-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
MR2 Josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 ST 335i, 93 MR2

Exclamation Yellow ABS/DSC/Brake lights help please

Hi,
So we've been trying to find the source of these lights but cannot seem to pin point the issue exactly. They came on immediately after the MFactory LSD and DSS axles and solid diff/subframe bushings were installed.

The code that comes up is "left rear wheel peed sensor exciter ring periodic fault" and when we do a live display of the whee speed values the left rear drops when I shimmy the car left and right. We installed a new wheel speed sensor and replaced the hub but still get the lights. Wiring all checks out good as well. The issue seems to be mechanical based not electronic. Oh we also installed the stock axles back in to see if, for whatever reason, they may cause it but still the same thing. Sometimes the lights are off for a while but come back on after 10 minutes of driving, sometimes they're on from the start of the car, and sometimes they are on from the start but then go out for a few miles and then come back. It's always the same exciter ring perodic fault code too.

I know the steering angle sensor and the DSC Hydro unit typical are the causes for these lights but I don't feel they relate to the symptoms of my issue and I don't want to just throw expensive parts at it hoping it was the issue.

Can anyone maybe point me in an area we are overlooking or any tests that can be done to pinpoint or eliminate things, etc?

Greatly appreciate any help!
Thanks guys!
-E92 335i: Montego blue/saddle brown, FFTEC TM 6466, Haltech PS1k EMS, Motiv PI-1000, Fuel-It Hulk stg3+, Cobb AP, VRSF IC, 4" exhaust, Clutchmasters fx850, msport front, Akrym CF lip, M3 sides, mtech rear, cf diffuser, csl cf wing, DPE SL5's **N54 Record holder 861whp@36psi** (click)
-'93 MR2: tons of mods, all fab work, assembly, and tuning done by me. 675whp@24psi, 40psi unknown (800+whp), 900+whp to come. Dyno vid
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
albotronic
Enlisted Member
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

I don't think I'm gonna be able to help resolve the issue, but first thing I was thinking is speed sensor. Sounds same as "Mini Trifecta"...In the Mini's the speed sensor wire wears off and rubs against the belt or body...maybe the same is going on here?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
MR2 Josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 ST 335i, 93 MR2

That's one thing I suspected as well just because it seems like certain things will trigger the lights to turn off and back on. Also when the lights do go out, while I'm braking for a stop light softly I can feel the abs trying to activate and then the lights will pop back on.

We did look over the wiring and didn't see anything but your post made me think we didn't check the pins on the connector to see if they were baggy or not pushed all the way into the connector making for a poor connection. Will be checking that out. Hopefully find the source of the issue today. This has been an ongoing issue for too long now.
-E92 335i: Montego blue/saddle brown, FFTEC TM 6466, Haltech PS1k EMS, Motiv PI-1000, Fuel-It Hulk stg3+, Cobb AP, VRSF IC, 4" exhaust, Clutchmasters fx850, msport front, Akrym CF lip, M3 sides, mtech rear, cf diffuser, csl cf wing, DPE SL5's **N54 Record holder 861whp@36psi** (click)
-'93 MR2: tons of mods, all fab work, assembly, and tuning done by me. 675whp@24psi, 40psi unknown (800+whp), 900+whp to come. Dyno vid
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

I have the same light on my 335 montego of 2007 for 2 weeks now. I cleaned the sensors, do a calibration of the SIS but it's for sure the known problem of the pump for me. It was just after a MHD flash so at first I tought that was the problem but not at all.