E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What's the best way to fix this?

07-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
hyphen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

What's the best way to fix this?

I've got the (apparently) infamous bubbling on my interior armrest, only on the drivers side. The car is very low mileage and in otherwise immaculate condition, so I don't know what could possibly have caused this.

My question is, what's the best way to fix this (hopefully permanently?)
If I replace it, will it just happen again? I've read that people peel back the plastic and there's another layer underneath, but will that look bad?

Any advice appreciated!

07-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Mezzy113
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
I've got the (apparently) infamous bubbling on my interior armrest, only on the drivers side. The car is very low mileage and in otherwise immaculate condition, so I don't know what could possibly have caused this.

My question is, what's the best way to fix this (hopefully permanently?)
If I replace it, will it just happen again? I've read that people peel back the plastic and there's another layer underneath, but will that look bad?

Any advice appreciated!

Depending on how far you want to go with it and how much you'd be willing to spend on the issue you could take it somewhere to get vinyl wrapped. My vehicle had all those pieces carbon fiber wrapped when I purchased it so I've never dealt with your issue but it seems it would take care of it.

Other than that maybe prepping and then Flexidip/Plastidip as a quick easy solution? Not sure what the material itself is like so prepping could include peeling off whats there or sanding or something else along those lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
hyphen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzy113 View Post
Depending on how far you want to go with it and how much you'd be willing to spend on the issue you could take it somewhere to get vinyl wrapped. My vehicle had all those pieces carbon fiber wrapped when I purchased it so I've never dealt with your issue but it seems it would take care of it.

Other than that maybe prepping and then Flexidip/Plastidip as a quick easy solution? Not sure what the material itself is like so prepping could include peeling off whats there or sanding or something else along those lines.
I'm not sure how they'd vinyl wrap it since the plastic changeholder part is connected to the leather part and doesn't separate, to the best of my knowledge. Plastidip is a thought, but I'm afraid it would rub off/look cheap like it already does since it comes into contact with arms so often.