THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Is this the place for Aussie M135i owners?

08-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
lurker
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Is this the place for Aussie M135i owners?

Hi All,

Recently purchased an M135i in Sydney. I went to the F20 forum and there does not seem to be any Australian specific content. Is this the best place to discuss the Aussie M135I?

As I purchased second hand I was unable to select options, but I want to find out a few things about whether features should be on my car or can be enabled, so I have a few questions. For reference, my car is a 2012 with sunroof and business Nav. It seems to have enhanced bluetooth. It does not have folding mirrors or keyless entry or electric seats.

* I have noticed that neither the DAB or the FM show any RDS info other than the station name? Is it possible to see song titles and artists etc. as I have gotten in other cars?

* I have noticed my passenger mirror does not dip in reverse. Is this available on my model?

* Does anyone have a list of features that can be enabled via coding? I would particularly like to have the Auto start/stop remember the previous setting, and get rid of the idrive disclaimer, but interested in any other functions that people may have done that are useful?

* Sort of related to above, but is it possible to get the iDrive to connect to internet via my phone to give some basic Google search capability or even traffic info etc.?

* I believe that flash tune options are complex at the moment for the F20 N55... you have to remove the ECU to do them. Is this correct? Are there any workshops able to tune just via OBD without removing/modifying the ECU?

Sorry to dump all these questions here. Please direct me to a better place if this is not the right one.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Hi All,

Recently purchased an M135i in Sydney. I went to the F20 forum and there does not seem to be any Australian specific content. Is this the best place to discuss the Aussie M135I?

As I purchased second hand I was unable to select options, but I want to find out a few things about whether features should be on my car or can be enabled, so I have a few questions. For reference, my car is a 2012 with sunroof and business Nav. It seems to have enhanced bluetooth. It does not have folding mirrors or keyless entry or electric seats.

* I have noticed that neither the DAB or the FM show any RDS info other than the station name? Is it possible to see song titles and artists etc. as I have gotten in other cars?

* I have noticed my passenger mirror does not dip in reverse. Is this available on my model?

* Does anyone have a list of features that can be enabled via coding? I would particularly like to have the Auto start/stop remember the previous setting, and get rid of the idrive disclaimer, but interested in any other functions that people may have done that are useful?

* Sort of related to above, but is it possible to get the iDrive to connect to internet via my phone to give some basic Google search capability or even traffic info etc.?

* I believe that flash tune options are complex at the moment for the F20 N55... you have to remove the ECU to do them. Is this correct? Are there any workshops able to tune just via OBD without removing/modifying the ECU?

Sorry to dump all these questions here. Please direct me to a better place if this is not the right one.

Cheers,

Adrian
Well this is the 2er forum... but it's essentially the same car. But since the 2 series didn't come out till 2014, unsure if we can answer all your questions in terms of options and functionality. My mate has a 2013 M135i so I can answer some of them to my knowledge.

1. I heard it depends on the city. I've heard some cities don't have all the info showing.

2. My mate's 2013 model has dipping mirrors, he doesn't have folding mirror like yours. I think you have to move the mirror adjustor knob to the left... That's all I can suggest.

3. Yes. Search the forum, there is a whole section of DIY and Coding. There's plenty of information there, and all you want to do is possible.

4. No. With this generation of BMWs you can't tether you phone to the car.

5. There are flash tuning options available, it's not like VW/Audi where they just plug it into the car. But it doesn't require removal of ECU either. If you're in Sydney contact CPC in Artarmon, they tune cars with Mcchip-dkr software. It takes a couple of hours. My mate's 1M is tuned there. They have a very good relationship with BMW Northshore, so if you have any warranty work, they can remove your tune and put it back on for a small price as well.

Ps. There's only two ways of tuning a car. Chip tuning (JB4 style) where, there's a box and you have a plug a bunch of stuff in to trick the car, and there's flash tuning, which modifies the ECU itself, there's no such thing as tuning via OBD without modifying the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
lurker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Well this is the 2er forum... but it's essentially the same car. But since the 2 series didn't come out till 2014, unsure if we can answer all your questions in terms of options and functionality. My mate has a 2013 M135i so I can answer some of them to my knowledge.

1. I heard it depends on the city. I've heard some cities don't have all the info showing.

2. My mate's 2013 model has dipping mirrors, he doesn't have folding mirror like yours. I think you have to move the mirror adjustor knob to the left... That's all I can suggest.

3. Yes. Search the forum, there is a whole section of DIY and Coding. There's plenty of information there, and all you want to do is possible.

4. No. With this generation of BMWs you can't tether you phone to the car.

5. There are flash tuning options available, it's not like VW/Audi where they just plug it into the car. But it doesn't require removal of ECU either. If you're in Sydney contact CPC in Artarmon, they tune cars with Mcchip-dkr software. It takes a couple of hours. My mate's 1M is tuned there. They have a very good relationship with BMW Northshore, so if you have any warranty work, they can remove your tune and put it back on for a small price as well.

Ps. There's only two ways of tuning a car. Chip tuning (JB4 style) where, there's a box and you have a plug a bunch of stuff in to trick the car, and there's flash tuning, which modifies the ECU itself, there's no such thing as tuning via OBD without modifying the ECU.
Thanks for the response den525.

1) I am sure the DAB and FM radio both have RDS where I live. I see the data on other radios I have. So it is really a question of whether my car can support this. It is not a must have, but I have found the feature useful on other cars. I looked in the idrive everywhere I could think of to enable it, but could not get it to work. It may be that it is only available on the Pro Nav with the larger screen?

2) I had tried the dipping mirror with the position switch in both positions and could not get it to work. I will try it again. I find it useful to save the wheels... a bit of a pain to do manually. Maybe this feature has to be enabled via coding?

5) I have a bit of experience in BMW tuning from a early 135I I had (N54). Things appear to be different with the later N55s. I realise of course that to mod the tune you need to mods the ECU, but I am hoping this can be done in software and not require actual hardware mods. Some research I did had people pulling the ECUs off the engine and either drilling a hole or opening up the case. Not sure if things have moved on since then? Would be great if you could DIY with an OFT or Cobb Access port or something, but this does not appear to be possible at this time.

Thanks again for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Hi Adrian, welcome to the Oz 2Addicts forum which does not attract too much day to day input. We therefore welcome all input!!

Have you tried the Oz e82 1Addicts forum? Despite the discontinued e82, it's still active with new used-car owners plus a few die-hard oldtimers. There are some M135 owners there and the members there are more experienced enthusiasts than most members here. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
Jamie88
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 Msport

You probably will have luck posting on the BMW Owners Australia Facebook Group. They are pretty active with all types of bmw owners and mechanics.

tho answers here look good.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
lurker
Private
Rep

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 03:45 AM   #7
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Put the last 7 digits of your VIN in this website and you can see all the factory options it came with when it was built

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Appreciate 0