F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is Park Assist fully Automatic?
GetBMWParts

08-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #1
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Is Park Assist fully Automatic?

Folks,

My 5 series park assist was fully automatic. It steered, braked and accelerated, shifted all by itself. I think this was a new feature added during LCI. What's the situation with 2016 4 series? Is it like this or does it only steer?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

I've only used it twice, maybe three times. I think you still have to brake. Someone who uses it more often will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
Folks,

My 5 series park assist was fully automatic. It steered, braked and accelerated, shifted all by itself. I think this was a new feature added during LCI. What's the situation with 2016 4 series? Is it like this or does it only steer?
great question. in my pre-LCI, i have to use the brake and shift. i actually use it a lot more often now, that i moved and use the car more often. very cool feature, i really like it. the automated function that you mentioned from your 5er, im actually not comfortable at all with the car braking for me and shifting. i want to be in control of breaking (for so many reasons: do not strike anyone, prevent curb rash, going at my own pace, etc), its just too much control to the car where something can go wrong. im all for automation, but this seems a bit tricky, unless bmw have a safe oversight on this function, id like to use the brake pedal.

let me know how your 5er worked, and if you can intervene while its on, and if it continues to park even after you hit the brake pedal urself for any reason.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
great question. in my pre-LCI, i have to use the brake and shift. i actually use it a lot more often now, that i moved and use the car more often. very cool feature, i really like it. the automated function that you mentioned from your 5er, im actually not comfortable at all with the car braking for me and shifting. i want to be in control of breaking (for so many reasons: do not strike anyone, prevent curb rash, going at my own pace, etc), its just too much control to the car where something can go wrong. im all for automation, but this seems a bit tricky, unless bmw have a safe oversight on this function, id like to use the brake pedal.

let me know how your 5er worked, and if you can intervene while its on, and if it continues to park even after you hit the brake pedal urself for any reason.

thanks
My 5er was really awesome. It never once hit the curb or suffered from rash. You have to keep holding a button while the car is working on it. Once you need to intervene, you just release the button and everything stops. I am afraid this one won't be like that.

I am actually now thinking whether I'm doing a downgrade from 5 series in terms of features and quality. Even tough I am getting all the features available in 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
My 5er was really awesome. It never once hit the curb or suffered from rash. You have to keep holding a button while the car is working on it. Once you need to intervene, you just release the button and everything stops. I am afraid this one won't be like that.

I am actually now thinking whether I'm doing a downgrade from 5 series in terms of features and quality. Even tough I am getting all the features available in 4 series.
On the F3x/F8x, Parking Assistant only controls the steering. On the other hand, you don't need to keep holding a button
      08-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

I've never used Park Assist on any car but from videos I've seen it seems way too slow. In busy traffic I'm not sure other drivers would wait for the time it takes while it parks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Gotcha. That does sound good. In my opinion, it is a step down. I have fully loaded 4er except LED headlights and cruise control If you have any questions on the features or how they work, def feel free to ask, then you can compare to ur 5er and see if its worth swtiching over.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I've never used Park Assist on any car but from videos I've seen it seems way too slow. In busy traffic I'm not sure other drivers would wait for the time it takes while it parks.
Frankly, although I have it, I never use it. I find the combination of the Top View cameras and Park Distance Control more efficient.
      08-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
CaliCanadian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 A4 / 2015 Alpina B6

In terms of quality the 5 series will be a step above considering the 4 series is somewhat an entry level car (apparently will change next generation, along with the 3 series to where the 1/2 will be the entry levels and the 3/4 will be more higher level so to speak). 5 Series interior is super solid imo. Both 3/4 and 5 look great, but the 5 just feels more quality in terms of the interior
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've found some articles mentioning Park Assistant will be fully automatic in 2016 and will support perpendicular parking as well. So got that too.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

"Starting with July 2015, the 3 Series and 4 Series models will be available with the new Parking Assistant feature that allows you to park your car... without any human input.

Yes, it might seem like that’s nothing new at first but, get this, the Parking Assistant now also knows to transverse park and not just parallel park. Don’t know about you but that makes a huge difference to us as many times you don’t have enough space for parallel parking.

The system recognizes appropriate parking spots if they are longer than the car’s length by 80 cm (31.4 inches) or if they are at least 2.5 meters (98.4 inches) wide."
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #12
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

The F30 LCI Parking Assistant is not fully automatic according to the press release posted here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143

It gains the ability to park perpendicularly, but you will need to control braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 03:12 AM   #13
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom701 View Post
The F30 LCI Parking Assistant is not fully automatic according to the press release posted here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143

It gains the ability to park perpendicularly, but you will need to control braking.
what about 4?
Appreciate 0