E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering wheel shake....

08-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Averdi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive

Steering wheel shake....

I know that I posted a thread about this already but i want an updated thread...soooo my car has 69k miles, have had a shake in my steering for about 5-8k miles now. The shake is noticeable 40-60mph. I've replaced control arms, thrust arms, new alignment, wheels road forced balanced twice, put my stock wheels back on to see if i had a crack or bad tire, no luck. i did replace my brakes a few thousand miles before this started to happen, and now I'm noticing that while i brake i get a vibration, i also noticed grooves in my rotors. i did not go OEM with my front brakes, i got Meyle. I've had my car checked out by 3 people, all say that my suspension is fine along with my wheels. Im bringing it to a new guy that works at BMW and he said its possible that the caliper is sticking. What else is there to suggest??? It's driving me crazy
      08-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

So is this happening all the time or only when braking?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
So is this happening all the time or only when braking?
shakes between 40-60mph....also whenever i brake.
      08-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
LesMonster
Pilot
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Did you replace the rotors with the brakes? And do you store your car outside?

Had a similar issue a while back, storing my car outside in NY did a number on the rotors even though they were relatively new. Grooves in the rotors stress hardened spots on the brakes which made the rotors worse. And I did notice a bit of shaking in the wheel around the 40-60 range, but not sure how to explain that. Everything went away after the brake/rotor/sensor change.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Wheels might be out of balance or even bent, I had the same issues and found out all my wheels were bent.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMonster View Post
Did you replace the rotors with the brakes? And do you store your car outside?

Had a similar issue a while back, storing my car outside in NY did a number on the rotors even though they were relatively new. Grooves in the rotors stress hardened spots on the brakes which made the rotors worse. And I did notice a bit of shaking in the wheel around the 40-60 range, but not sure how to explain that. Everything went away after the brake/rotor/sensor change.
i had my rotors and pads replaced about 10k miles ago, they were NOT OEM tho, so i think that has something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganrocket View Post
Wheels might be out of balance or even bent, I had the same issues and found out all my wheels were bent.
all my wheels are fine and balanced. checked 2-3 times.
      08-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
jpope42
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535

Garage List
2014 535i  [0.00]
2010 528i  [0.00]
I have the same issue on my '10 xi, except it only does it when braking and is worse after freeway driving. I suspect a warped rotor, will get It check out soon and let you know if that solved it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #8
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
My solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I know that I posted a thread about this already but i want an updated thread...soooo my car has 69k miles, have had a shake in my steering for about 5-8k miles now. The shake is noticeable 40-60mph. I've replaced control arms, thrust arms, new alignment, wheels road forced balanced twice, put my stock wheels back on to see if i had a crack or bad tire, no luck. i did replace my brakes a few thousand miles before this started to happen, and now I'm noticing that while i brake i get a vibration, i also noticed grooves in my rotors. i did not go OEM with my front brakes, What else is there to suggest??? It's driving me crazy
Before spending/giving/donating anymore money to others, try the following:
1. Remove the guide pin bolts from each caliper (2 per caliper)
2. Using a maroon colored scotch-brite pad, clean the the non-threaded portion of the bolt till shiny. Prior to cleaning with scotch brite, you will notice a build up or a sticky rubber like build up on the pins. After cleaning, you will notice circumferential wear groves. This is a judgement call as to whether to replace on your your guide pins.
3. Assuming you applied a high quality caliper grease to the pads prior to installation, use this same high quality caliper grease on the caliper guide pin bolts and reinstall.
4. It is critical that you reinstall the guide pin bolts in a deliberate sequential manner to ensure proper caliper to rotor orientation. Do NOT torque one guide pin and then torque the remaining guide pin. (Go back and forth between guide pins a few turns at a time).
5. Finally, examine your brake pad retaining clips on each caliper for uniformity and equal tension. I replaced mine.

Just like you, I also replace everything on my wife's 07 328xi to eliminate that 40-60 mph brake shudder. The brake shudder was greatly diminished but still present. Only after cleaning and lubricating the guide pins and replacing the brake pad retaining clips was my problem finally solved.

Unfortunately for you, you may have already induced "wear" flaws into your pads & rotors. You will have to determine this for yourself. If new pads & cutting the rotos are going to cost you over $150, I suggest the following package that i installed on my wife's carfor my wife's car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291078332074...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mike
Appreciate 0