Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Diffuser help

I swapped exhausts a year ago and bent one of the tabs that holds the diffuser in. This has led to the diffuser popping out on the left a bit after every spirited drive and has only gotten worse over time. Does anyone here have any advice on a solution to hold it in place without replacement? No tabs are missing but it seems a combination of this and the fact that the aftermarket exhaust I have rubs with the diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I'm not sure exactly where you are talking about but would something like a self tapping screw made for plastics work?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
On the parts diagram here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8369
Part #2, the diffuser pops out only where the tabs are on the top left.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

How bout changing the rubber exhaust mounts ?

I had a small issue with the exhaust + diffuser and changed the rear exhaust mounts to mounts from a 135i and it fixed it (the mounts are different shapes on the 135i compared to the 1M's factory mounts).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think those tabs get a little bit "mushy" over time, so I'm thinking there are a few potential mechanisms for the diffuser not staying in at particular locations:

1. tab is getting soft
2. the bump on the tab that actually clicks into the bumper is getting worn down
3. the corresponding hole on the bumper is mildly enlarged

I'm thinking maybe building up the bump on the tab with something like a light coat of Q-Bond would do the trick? Or even just a little bit of tape to snug the tab with the corresponding hole on the bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I swapped exhausts a year ago and bent one of the tabs that holds the diffuser in. This has led to the diffuser popping out on the left a bit after every spirited drive and has only gotten worse over time. Does anyone here have any advice on a solution to hold it in place without replacement? No tabs are missing but it seems a combination of this and the fact that the aftermarket exhaust I have rubs with the diffuser.
Appreciate 1