F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Fuel Injector failure -> Check Engine -> Drive train malfunction
GetBMWParts

08-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Unhappy Fuel Injector failure -> Check Engine -> Drive train malfunction

Well first serious issue with my N20.

The first thing that I noticed which was leading to this problem was more than a month ago, when car started to act bit wild on neutral gear or when I was stopping.

Initially, I thought it could be a fuel issue as I changed the fuel brand that I was using here, but anyway I continue to drive it hard and I couldn't notice any performance or miss-fire on a "wot".

But, today after driving it spirited trough the day, making a break than going on a highway trip, my 328i started to act roughly near ideal rev's (1200), and it trow check engine light at the arriving destination.

I shut it down, leave it to cool down for 2 hours, called BMW service and they advised me if the car is running I can safely bring it to the dealership which I did.

So, I started it up it was acting more and more wild and rough at ideal, even in every other gear or any higher rev it started to hesitate, and fuel smell was present more drastically. But somehow I reached the highway and after 10 miles the ECU finally figured that something is wrong with injection and trow the car into drive-train malfunction mode which limited engine performance.

The car has just 24k miles, and it's 2013 build, but so far looking online it seems that this guy was affected by the similar issue:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...3-new-BMW-328I

I will keep you guys posted, and the car is still under warranty but please dont be stupid like me and if you're starting to notice something similar visit your dealership asap.

Also, car didn't have any kind of aftermarket parts fitted.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep

Got confirmation that fuel injector failed on the 3rd cylinder.

Waiting for replacement part...
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
DRG1983
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Did the new injector resolve this issue? I had the same problem, but the failed injector led to piston damage and a new engine.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep

I got car back on Tuesday, and soon a I left the dealership there was issue with auto transmission in sport and sport+ mode, as the car was stalling on releasing the throttle.

Also, they told me that fuel injector was leaking and couldn't spray properly and they have replaced the spark plug along.

So, I returned it back they reset the transmission ECU and everything was fine again.

All good for now, car is pushing hard like before. There wasn't a single drop of oil missing so all good so far.

Overall I'm very satisfied, as I think that the car is far more smoothly working during warm up period.

Can you elaborate what happened to your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash View Post
I got car back on Tuesday, and soon a I left the dealership there was issue with auto transmission in sport and sport+ mode, as the car was stalling on releasing the throttle.

Also, they told me that fuel injector was leaking and couldn't spray properly and they have replaced the spark plug along.

So, I returned it back they reset the transmission ECU and everything was fine again.

All good for now, car is pushing hard like before. There wasn't a single drop of oil missing so all good so far.

Overall I'm very satisfied, as I think that the car is far more smoothly working during warm up period.

Can you elaborate what happened to your car?
I know thats gotta be frustrating, I'm glad that your local center got it taken care of under warranty though. Definitely keep this thread updated if you discover anymore fuel injector related issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Yellowflash did TorquePro read any of these codes if so what did it show?

My friends 7/2013 N20 build showed the following when I did Vehicle Test Results in Torque Pro

Fuel System Monitor Bank 1
11:18 MID:$81 TID:$65
Fuel System Monitor Bank 1
Min: 8.273 Max: 5
Current: 25,984

MID:$see TID:$9a
Manufacturer define MID
Min: 22,537 Max: 52,962
Current:6,019

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Wanted to bump this 38 year old thread instead of starting a new one.

A few days ago my 320i would hesitate for a short period of time under moderate acceleration but not under WOT. No CEL/No codes. Yesterday car was hesitating again but as soon as I did WOT car shook like a bastard/CEL/Drivetrain Malfunction on I-Drive. Didn’t have my scanner on me as it was in my e90 but luckily I was a mile from the dealership so dropped it off right before they closed. Just got the call that injector #1 failed and they replaced the spark plug as well. Funny how I just had four new OEM plugs installed a few hours before by a indie (I supplied the plugs). All covered under CPO and no deductible.

Built date 03/15
65k miles
Appreciate 0