IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
over 50k miles 1M maintenance thread.

the 1M is a rare car which is a frankenstein of different parts---HENCE one of my worries has been maintaining it and making sure that I am doing what it takes to keep it running well. I plan to keep driving the hell out of this amazing car.....this is no garage queen! So here's what i'm up to with it.

Here's my 'usual' maintenance schedule for my 1M:
Oil Changes: 7500 miles
Transmission fluid: 30,000 miles
Differential fluid: 30,000 miles
Air filter: every 30,000 miles
Brake fluid: every 1-2 years (depending)
Coolant fluid: every 1-2 years (depending)
Water pump and Thermostat: 60,000 miles (done!)
Carbon Cleaning: 60,000 miles
Steering fluid: 60,000 miles (done!)

I dropped off my 1M today for service. 67k miles.

getting:
Oil Change
Carbon Cleaning

Was also told i should get my A/C system cleaned around this time, but opted not to do it today.

So this is a 'sketchy' time for a german car.....can be either sink or swim. Most german cars have the MOST issues arise around this mileage----however SO FAR the 1M has been fantastic using the maintenance schedule i've written above.

Other considerations at this mileage:
Fuel injectors and spark plugs (mine were changed at 45k miles)
Serpentine belt (70k miles or so? Mine still looks good...they will inspect it again today)
Battery (5 years?)
Clutch (still feels good...original)
Brakes (i've been told they have another 10-15k in them)
Alternator (??)
Suspension refresh (??? ---- the car still feels great so i don't see this anytime soon)
Hoses? Bushings? (???)

NOTE: I do all of my maintenance at the dealer. WHY? Because (A) i like getting loaner cars, (B) my service guy is GREAT, and (C) it makes me feel good to know that they aren't just costcutting to get shit done like independent shops try to do sometimes. I have used independent shops in the past with a few Audis i owned....even REALLY good ones...and i just got tired of the headaches and shortcuts.

Again this is more for cars OVER 50k miles as cars under that don't really have the same type of stuff arising, IMO.

Attached is this document i had found through a BMW site a while ago.....looks legit and on target although i can't conform its origins.

Anything else anyone thinks i should add? It would be great if someone could make a NEW maintenance schedule we can all use....after we reach agreement on what we think is good timing for this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1M Service Guide.pdf (77.5 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by IEDEI; 08-13-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Anything else anyone thinks i should add? It would be great if someone could make a NEW maintenance schedule we can all use....after we reach agreement on what we think is good timing for this stuff.
Not sure if anyone remembers the maintenance book I made earlier this year. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081717 But I've been working on expanding it and providing the community with something new like I did with the 1M Apparel I ran last year.

Here's a snap shot/preview. Hopefully going to get samples printed in the next week or so and do some orders in September/October.
Attached Images

08-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Not sure if anyone remembers the maintenance book I made earlier this year. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081717 But I've been working on expanding it and providing the community with something new like I did with the 1M Apparel I ran last year.

Here's a snap shot/preview. Hopefully going to get samples printed in the next week or so and do some orders in September/October.
that would be AMAZING, man.....i would love to get my hands on such a beautiful book.

So you being a 135 owner, SOME of the maintenance should be similar for the N54 engine portion of it-----but my feeling is the differences in suspension, steering, differential, braking, etc may have to be adjusted.

great idea though!! please keep us updated!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
that would be AMAZING, man.....i would love to get my hands on such a beautiful book.

So you being a 135 owner, SOME of the maintenance should be similar for the N54 engine portion of it-----but my feeling is the differences in suspension, steering, differential, braking, etc may have to be adjusted.

great idea though!! please keep us updated!!
Yes its been a bit different adjusting everything for the M from the 135i for this. I tracked down all the original parts & updated parts / fluids. Even included the break-in periods for oil, tranny, and diff. I haven't found much information on when things like rear subframe bushings and control arm bushings should be replaced... possibly even sway bars. Thinking 100-150k?
      08-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Yes its been a bit different adjusting everything for the M from the 135i for this. I tracked down all the original parts & updated parts / fluids. Even included the break-in periods for oil, tranny, and diff. I haven't found much information on when things like rear subframe bushings and control arm bushings should be replaced... possibly even sway bars. Thinking 100-150k?
great work! i think the E9X M3 would be the place to find those things as the suspension is literally the entire M3 setup put into the 1M.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
the 1M is a rare car which is a frankenstein of different parts---HENCE one of my worries has been maintaining it and making sure that I am doing what it takes to keep it running well. I plan to keep driving the hell out of this amazing car.....this is no garage queen! So here's what i'm up to with it.

NOTE: I do all of my maintenance at the dealer. WHY? Because (A) i like getting loaner cars, (B) my service guy is GREAT, and (C) it makes me feel good to know that they aren't just costcutting to get shit done like independent shops try to do sometimes. I have used independent shops in the past with a few Audis i owned....even REALLY good ones...and i just got tired of the headaches and shortcuts.
I think your situation is somewhat unique and only a few 1M owners are going to face the same issues. This is because not only are you beginning to get into a higher mileage situation, but you are doing this because you drive A LOT and the vehicle subject to this is one that probably most people are either treating more like a special/garage queen car, or are simply planning to trade it in when the mileage runs up and the warranty runs out, so they don't really care that much about longevity. In essence, you have a recent vintage high mileage car with which independent shops have little or no experience, so far.

I have some experience with vintage BMWs, and in my opinion you are probably better off going to a good independent for their service, for a number of reasons. For one thing, the BMW dealership service departments lose interest in older cars and often don't even have many or any technicians who know much about working on them. I have read posts in E36/Z3 forums about people TRYING to take their car into a BMW dealer and actually being rebuffed and told that they don't work on them anymore. Even if they do work on them, if they don't work on them very often then they don't tend to remain very good at repairing them.

Contrast that with good independent garages, some of which specialize in older BMWs or older German cars as a category. Their techs see these cars coming in day after day and become very proficient at working on them. They also know what parts can be substituted for OEM parts when it is worth doing so, and when this is a mistake. BMW dealer service departments are probably prohibited by their contracts in using non-OEM parts.

Here's one very specific example: Many older BMW electric seat motors have an Achilles heel in a plastic gear that breaks down in use over a period of years. BMW does not sell this plastic gear as a part, rather they will only sell the whole assembly at a cost of many hundreds of dollars or more. There is at least one private company that makes just this plastic gear from a casting of the original part, and good independent garages working on vintage BMWs have these lying around in the drawer. Since the rest of the seat assembly does not need to be replaced, why spend the money unnecessarily? It is just this sort of situation that can make an older car unaffordable to maintain.

So, again, I think you have a special circumstance that is probably not representative of very many owners of BMW cars with lots of accumulated mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think your situation is somewhat unique and only a few 1M owners are going to face the same issues. This is because not only are you beginning to get into a higher mileage situation, but you are doing this because you drive A LOT and the vehicle subject to this is one that probably most people are either treating more like a special/garage queen car, or are simply planning to trade it in when the mileage runs up and the warranty runs out, so they don't really care that much about longevity. In essence, you have a recent vintage high mileage car with which independent shops have little or no experience, so far.

I have some experience with vintage BMWs, and in my opinion you are probably better off going to a good independent for their service, for a number of reasons. For one thing, the BMW dealership service departments lose interest in older cars and often don't even have many or any technicians who know much about working on them. I have read posts in E36/Z3 forums about people TRYING to take their car into a BMW dealer and actually being rebuffed and told that they don't work on them anymore. Even if they do work on them, if they don't work on them very often then they don't tend to remain very good at repairing them.

Contrast that with good independent garages, some of which specialize in older BMWs or older German cars as a category. Their techs see these cars coming in day after day and become very proficient at working on them. They also know what parts can be substituted for OEM parts when it is worth doing so, and when this is a mistake. BMW dealer service departments are probably prohibited by their contracts in using non-OEM parts.

Here's one very specific example: Many older BMW electric seat motors have an Achilles heel in a plastic gear that breaks down in use over a period of years. BMW does not sell this plastic gear as a part, rather they will only sell the whole assembly at a cost of many hundreds of dollars or more. There is at least one private company that makes just this plastic gear from a casting of the original part, and good independent garages working on vintage BMWs have these lying around in the drawer. Since the rest of the seat assembly does not need to be replaced, why spend the money unnecessarily? It is just this sort of situation that can make an older car unaffordable to maintain.

So, again, I think you have a special circumstance that is probably not representative of very many owners of BMW cars with lots of accumulated mileage.
you may be right. i just wanted to relay what I was doing for the car....but obviously others' experiences will differ. I will say that the NYC/Long Island area isn't the greatest when it comes to independent shops; many of them are too busy, too rushed, and still very expensive even though they are not the dealer. I have priced out repairs at my dealer VS. independent shops and the difference is not as big as i thought-----PLUS I get a full BMW loaner car which I need because i'm on the road so much. That being said the biggest determining factor seems to be that i TRUST my service advisor as he has always helped me out and has figured out good solutions to help me take care of the beast. That really goes a long way because i KNOW i'm not getting overcharged...for example my intake cleaning being done is going to be around $600......independent shops do it for $500 around here.....so $100 difference. Doesn't bother me at all as i get a loaner and piece of mind in case something goes wrong. If you have troubles after the cleaning at an independent shop they will look away and start whistling and say "tough luck".

Either way; find what's best for you and make it work------the MORE important point here is to do good maintenance on the car no matter what as I think it's very important.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have troubles after the cleaning at an independent shop they will look away and start whistling and say "tough luck".
I think that is really unfair. If you met or used my local mechanic, Juan, I can tell you that you would not post the above.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I think that is really unfair. If you met or used my local mechanic, Juan, I can tell you that you would not post the above.
I have been to what is probably one of THE best european shops...if not the best in NYC well known to many enthusiasts in the area; with massively great reviews everywhere------and have found them to be lacking in terms of taking responsibility. IMO they are far more disorganized even when the independent shops are good.

Of course not everyone has a "Juan" and maybe he serves you well----but it's unfair to assume that every city has a Juan that can keep you happy.

I have explored independent shops extensively and have not been impressed on the whole. It's the lack of accountability.

ANYWAY-----this thread is meant to cater to people with higher mileage 1Ms; where they take the car is up to them.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I think you're doing a good job on the maintenence. You know, fresh oil is the best oil, etc.

Have you downloaded Mike Miller's BMW maintenance pdf? It's an interesting and helpful read.

By the way, we've been told "nope, I don't see in my pc that the car has been ever serviced at BMW so sorry, there's nothing we can do about the repair." That was when we asked them about the infamous N47 timing chain problem which now has a service bulletin and some guys on this forum have got the repair done for free. Apparently, when the service book does not have any BMW stamps, you're screwed.

So for the sake of potential problems and recalls in the future, I think it is worth going to BMW. Loaners, nice lounge, ladies that greet you loudly the second you step in the building...
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have been to what is probably one of THE best european shops...if not the best in NYC well known to many enthusiasts in the area; with massively great reviews everywhere------and have found them to be lacking in terms of taking responsibility. IMO they are far more disorganized even when the independent shops are good.

Of course not everyone has a "Juan" and maybe he serves you well----but it's unfair to assume that every city has a Juan that can keep you happy.

I have explored independent shops extensively and have not been impressed on the whole. It's the lack of accountability.

ANYWAY-----this thread is meant to cater to people with higher mileage 1Ms; where they take the car is up to them.
First let me say that I have taken my new-to-me 1M and 135i into the Boise Idaho BMW dealership and have been very satisfied with the service I have had so far.

I do think it is a real stretch however to imply that satisfaction is universally high with BMW dealership service. It is going to be irregular in just the same ways that any sort of service on any sort of mechanical product inherently is.

If your intention was to start and augment a thread on the care of higher mileage 1M vehicles, I think you could do that without getting into the weeds about dealership and independent service departments, which serves no purpose and just leads to the thread becoming about subjects that apparently are of no real interest to you in this context.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I think you could do that without getting into the weeds about dealership and independent service departments, which serves no purpose and just leads to the thread becoming about subjects that apparently are of no real interest to you in this context.
i posted this thread with my experience....not for an argument. if you don't like that opinion, it's fine....we can agree to disagree. i am far more concerned about maintenance and intervals.

some people do their own service and work, some people go to BMW dealers, some people go to independent shops....whatever works for you is fine by me.

Last edited by IEDEI; 08-13-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I think you're doing a good job on the maintenence. You know, fresh oil is the best oil, etc.

Have you downloaded Mike Miller's BMW maintenance pdf? It's an interesting and helpful read.

By the way, we've been told "nope, I don't see in my pc that the car has been ever serviced at BMW so sorry, there's nothing we can do about the repair." That was when we asked them about the infamous N47 timing chain problem which now has a service bulletin and some guys on this forum have got the repair done for free. Apparently, when the service book does not have any BMW stamps, you're screwed.

So for the sake of potential problems and recalls in the future, I think it is worth going to BMW. Loaners, nice lounge, ladies that greet you loudly the second you step in the building...
yes the Mike Miller maintenance PDFs are great! The latest one i have is from 2011....is there a newer one than that??

i do great treated very well at my BMW dealer. I get called "sir"....and this morning the guy said "excuse me sir, your fly is open" and i said "thank you!". lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:

Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

60,000 miles is too long to wait for walnut shell-blasting to clean the intake valves.

I'd suggest halving that interval.

It makes an enormous difference.

Neil
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
60,000 miles is too long to wait for walnut shell-blasting to clean the intake valves.

Neil
interesting, thanks for your input. I'm curious to see how my car is at 67k miles. have asked them to take photos......

do you think driving style has any influence on rate of carbon buildup?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil
And when suggesting walnut blasting every 30k miles/48k km for an 'average' (what ever that may be) driving style, would using an aftermarket Oil Catch Can seriously alter that suggested mileage for that same 'average' driving style?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN

Neil
Does track use reduce the need for walnut blasting? I do about 6-8 track days / year and am almost at 27k miles.
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i've been searching for info online about N54 walnut blasting and there are a WIDE variety of opinions. Some saying 30k miles while others say 60k miles. I think if someone is tuned or having identifiable symptoms or misfires than 30k miles sounds reasonable. Running stock though with no noticeable issues; i think the mileage interval maybe can be increased? Not sure though....

I guess i will see how the intake valves look on my car when they're done compared to before-----wasn't done today...probably tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

It is very simple. At 30K miles you can do preventative PECAN blasting. If you wait until 45,000 miles, ALMOND blasting is required. And yes, at 60,000, especially if you have foregone the PECAN and the ALMOND blastings, then by all means move on to the WALNUT blasting.

Hope I cleared all of this up for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon
It is very simple. At 30K miles you can do preventative PECAN blasting. If you wait until 45,000 miles, ALMOND blasting is required. And yes, at 60,000, especially if you have foregone the PECAN and the ALMOND blastings, then by all means move on to the WALNUT blasting.

Hope I cleared all of this up for you.
Roasted or raw pecans?

Is added salt bad for the intake ports?
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote: