F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware questions
proTUNING Freaks

08-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Dinan Shockware questions

I wish I would have looked into this software for my '13 335i.
My 335i lease is up as soon as my 340i Msport w/adaptive arrives.
It's now waiting for transport out of Germany.

News from BMW is that all the suspensions have been revised.
Recent 340i w/adaptive reviews read positive.
But no reviewer has mentioned that the 340i's were soft or floatly or anything really negative about the suspension and handling, except for the VSS.

So I don't know if the retuned adaptive suspension will be to my liking or not.
I do know I do not like the adaptive sport suspension in my 335i.
It's not a bad suspension, not at all. It's just not a very good SPORT suspension.

If I need to get Shockware installed in my 340i do I go my BMW dealer to have it installed? Is that the only way to install it?
How much does the dealer charge to install the software?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I wish I would have looked into this software for my '13 335i.
My 335i lease is up as soon as my 340i Msport w/adaptive arrives.
It's now waiting for transport out of Germany.

News from BMW is that all the suspensions have been revised.
Recent 340i w/adaptive reviews read positive.
But no reviewer has mentioned that the 340i's were soft or floatly or anything really negative about the suspension and handling, except for the VSS.

So I don't know if the retuned adaptive suspension will be to my liking or not.
I do know I do not like the adaptive sport suspension in my 335i.
It's not a bad suspension, not at all. It's just not a very good SPORT suspension.

If I need to get Shockware installed in my 340i do I go my BMW dealer to have it installed? Is that the only way to install it?
How much does the dealer charge to install the software?

TIA
I've got it installed on my 228. I know what you mean about this gen being soft and floaty. Hopefully the new 340 and subsequent cars will be firmed up from BMW's factory. With that said, shockware did help tremendously in my 2! Rides great now.

On to your question, I know you can get it installed at BMW if it's an authorized Dinan dealer. It can also be installed at a Dinan shop/dealer. The labor time should be the same for either and they go off what's quoted Dinan's website. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

It has to be done at a Dinan dealer (BMW dealer or other indy shop). There's no addons or module replacements. To my knowledge, it's a reflash of the adaptive suspension control module itself, so you can't do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Thanks guys!

I found some info indicating that Dinan specs 1/2hr for the software install.
Not bad.

I contacted a Dinan shop in the Chicago area.
Dinan springs + install + alignment + bump kit is $1160.
Shockware install is only 1/2hr, $50. Total $450.

Total for both is about $1610.

Spring and bump kit install plus alignment is about $680 labor charge.
That doesn't seem too bad really.
Or, is it too much?

Last edited by RPM90; 08-14-2015 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Question about Dinan Shockware: Does the program/modifications affect EVERY driving mode, or only Sport? I ask because I'm very satisfied with the "Comfort" setting and would be interested in this merely for "Sport" or "Sport+"...I'd like to see more variation/contrast between modes.

p.s. I had considered a Cadillac CTS V-Sport, which can also receive "performance" software for HP/output. The cool thing is that one of the tuners sets it up where it's actually stock in "Tour" mode and only enables the programming when in "Sport" or "Track" modes. Very cool.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Not bad.

Or, is it too much?
I got an indy to do it for $320 or so. I think ~$350 is pretty fair for something like this. I paid to have an alignment done about a week after though. I think it was something like $60? The shop that did the work didn't do alignments and I was well aware of this already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Question about Dinan Shockware: Does the program/modifications affect EVERY driving mode, or only Sport? I ask because I'm very satisfied with the "Comfort" setting and would be interested in this merely for "Sport" or "Sport+"...I'd like to see more variation/contrast between modes.

p.s. I had considered a Cadillac CTS V-Sport, which can also receive "performance" software for HP/output. The cool thing is that one of the tuners sets it up where it's actually stock in "Tour" mode and only enables the programming when in "Sport" or "Track" modes. Very cool.
The Shockware changes the Adaptive M as follows:
Eco Pro -> Same as stock
Comfort -> Stock settings under Sport
Sport -> New Dinan algorithm that is more planted than the old Sport/Sport+ setting.
Sport+ -> New Dinan algorithm that is more planted than the old Sport/Sport+ setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

OP - Be aware that you will probably need to wait at least a bit until Dinan has tested/certified Shockware with the LCI suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06
Quote:
Thanks guys!

Not bad.

Or, is it too much?
I got an indy to do it for $320 or so. I think ~$350 is pretty fair for something like this. I paid to have an alignment done about a week after though. I think it was something like $60? The shop that did the work didn't do alignments and I was well aware of this already.

Quote:

Eco Pro -> Same as stock
Sport -> New Dinan algorithm that is more planted than the old Sport/Sport+ setting.
Sport+ -> New Dinan algorithm that is more planted than the old Sport/Sport+ setting.
That's too bad...I'd prefer they leave Comfort as-is. I wonder if this could be custom requested?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06
Quote:
Thanks guys!

Not bad.

Or, is it too much?

Quote:

Eco Pro -> Same as stock
This is not an accurate description of Shockware in my 2014 335i.

ECO PRO and COMFORT share the same tuning. This tuning is stiffer than stock of course, but not identical to the stock SPORT tuning... It is better!
SPORT becomes stiffer than stock.
I love this upgrade. I should have done it long ago.
      08-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I have had Shockwave for quite some time and I cannot picture myself driving this car without it.
  • Eco Pro/Comfort - Just a bit of a better ride than stock, but not as stiff as the stock Sport setting.
  • Sport/Sport+ - Much better than stock Sport. Stiffness levels increase and the overall outcome is a car that is much more planted in dips and settles quickly coming out of turns compared to the stock.

For the price of the upgrade, this should be a no thought option for those on the fence. Well worth it and I wish they would make a Stage 2 upgrade but I'm not sure how much the stock dampers can take.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

ECO PRO and COMFORT share the same tuning. This tuning is stiffer than stock of course, but not identical to the stock SPORT tuning... It is better!
Thanks for the correction.

I really want to get it as well, but I'm thinking I'll wait for it to go on sale over the fall/winter lol. Seems like everybody that has it has absolutely no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Thanks everyone.

Now I wait for my 340i to see what BMW has and has not done.

One aspect of the adaptive in my 335i is when I come to a complete stop.
I can NOT stand how the whole car has this light bounce that cycles about 3-4 times before the car's motions come to a complete stop.
It feels like a car with dampers/shocks that no longer work at all.
It's like the dampers stop damping just as my car comes to a complete stop and yet not fully settled.
This happens in both comfort and sport setting.
I just can't believe how badly BMW did on the adaptive sport suspension.

I strongly considered not getting the adaptive suspension this time because I dislike it in my 335i. But, BMW claims they firmed up "all" of the F30 suspensions.
If my 340i still have this bouncing at complete stop motion I will park my 340i in the dealer shop until someone at BMW corrects their stupid ways.
A sport suspension should NEVER feel bouncy when coming to a stop, NEVER EVER.

As for comfort mode, I could care less about it. I ordered an sport/Msport variant, which should be the firmest and best suspension control this side of an M car.
Compliant and soft is not what I am seeking when I decide to order a sport/Msport version.

Perhaps BMW needs to make it clear what their intent is with the adaptive suspension.
Is it an "adaptive SPORT" suspension, or an "adaptive STANDARD" suspension.
Given that one has to have an Msport or Track Pack in order to get the adaptive dampers for 2016, then the adaptive suspension should be an "adaptive SPORT" suspension, and to me that means soft and compliant are not the primary qualities of that suspension. And that's fine by me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Shockware made driving in Comfort mode worlds better. Now I use Comfort mode much more.

With my mode adjustment toggle switch only effecting the chassis, I can control the chassis with the switch; while I can independently control drivetrain mode with the gear lever. Putting the drivetrain in Sport mode opens the exhaust valve and cues the pops and burbles (with MPPK at least). This makes me believe an exhaust valve controller is not necessary... The shift lever (selecting drivetrain modes) arguably does a better job!

Before I had Shockware (and aftermarket exhaust) I don't think I drove with the chassis in Comfort mode enough to fully understand what the drivetrain modes did to the exhaust.
      08-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

I am waiting on my 340xi with m-adaptive suspension to arrive. i will wait to see if the shockware will be needed for the updated suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
Thanks for the correction.

I really want to get it as well, but I'm thinking I'll wait for it to go on sale over the fall/winter lol. Seems like everybody that has it has absolutely no regrets.
Seriously? It's $400 or $500, it totally transforms the handling, and you're waiting for a sale that will probably never happen?

Talk about stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime!
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #16
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

My experience is the same as yours. The Dinan Shockware Comfort is different than the non Shockware Sport. Its more, well, comfortable and at the same time not floaty at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's too bad...I'd prefer they leave Comfort as-is. I wonder if this could be custom requested?

Shockware Comfort is great. It is NOT the same as standard Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Shockware made driving in Comfort mode worlds better. Now I use Comfort mode much more.

With my mode adjustment toggle switch only effecting the chassis, I can control the chassis with the switch; while I can independently control drivetrain mode with the gear lever. Putting the drivetrain in Sport mode opens the exhaust valve and cues the pops and burbles (with MPPK at least). This makes me believe an exhaust valve controller is not necessary... The shift lever (selecting drivetrain modes) arguably does a better job!

Before I had Shockware (and aftermarket exhaust) I don't think I drove with the chassis in Comfort mode enough to fully understand what the drivetrain modes did to the exhaust.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #19
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
I am waiting on my 340xi with m-adaptive suspension to arrive. i will wait to see if the shockware will be needed for the updated suspension
Hey,

Have you received your 340i xDrive? How does it feel?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
Hey,

Have you received your 340i xDrive? How does it feel?
the suspension feels pretty good. i have 340i xdrive with m-adaptive suspension. sport/sport+ is pretty stiff. comfort mode suspension is comfy but still sporty, i think if comfort is any stiffer, i wouldn't like it since the roads in the northeast is pretty rough with plenty of pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #21
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
My only complaint about Shockware is that dealers tend to flash first ask questions later so right now I lost my Shockware getting dealer installed M-perf brakes I'm just gonna wait till my new Coilovers come in and I need to code DSC again before I'll go out to get it redone by a Dinan dealer. Place by me(Chicago suburbs) wants $75 to reflash dealer wiped Shockware.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #22
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
My only complaint about Shockware is that dealers tend to flash first ask questions later so right now I lost my Shockware getting dealer installed M-perf brakes I'm just gonna wait till my new Coilovers come in and I need to code DSC again before I'll go out to get it redone by a Dinan dealer. Place by me(Chicago suburbs) wants $75 to reflash dealer wiped Shockware.
upon check in with your SA you should have mentioned you have Dinan Shockware..

If you get coilovers, how does shockware work with that?