F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rotor resurfacing?
proTUNING Freaks

08-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

I'm having 27K miles in my '13 335i with standard (non M Sport) brakes and I'm thinking to swap the pads out with Cool Carbon's Street/Track pads and wondering whether I should resurface the rotors during installation or not. The rotors are totally good, are not shaking at all, but tiny concentric lines can be seen and felt when touched on the surface. Would it affect the breaking performance with the new pads if I left it as is or shall I just get it resurfaced? I'm attaching photos of the front and rear rotors, hopefully the "depth" of the lines can be seen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb335i View Post
I'm having 27K miles in my '13 335i with standard (non M Sport) brakes and I'm thinking to swap the pads out with Cool Carbon's Street/Track pads and wondering whether I should resurface the rotors during installation or not. The rotors are totally good, are not shaking at all, but tiny concentric lines can be seen and felt when touched on the surface. Would it affect the breaking performance with the new pads if I left it as is or shall I just get it resurfaced? I'm attaching photos of the front and rear rotors, hopefully the "depth" of the lines can be seen.
You should be able to make that rotor more smooth with some sand paper at home.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

If you feel a ridge on on the edge of the rotor, I would recommend replacing them. BMW utilizes performance pads they take rotor material off while braking. If you really want to compare, measure the new rotor thickness and compare it to your used one. Don't skimp out on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:
You should be able to make that rotor more smooth with some sand paper at home.
I'm not sure about that, I think that could lead to an uneven surface and shaking while the brakes are engaged unless done in a machine that sort of guarantees flatness.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef
If you feel a ridge on on the edge of the rotor, I would recommend replacing them. BMW utilizes performance pads they take rotor material off while braking. If you really want to compare, measure the new rotor thickness and compare it to your used one. Don't skimp out on the brakes.
There is no ridge at all, I just had the car in for the 2nd year service and the guy said I have at at least 2/3 of the rotor left, so another 50-60K miles or so if I drive the way I did so far. I guess if I leave the rotors as are, after a while the new pads will take up the shape of the current surface anyhow and braking power will be as good as with new or resurfaced rotors, the groves are really not deep, just not totally flat as on a new one. BMW actually replaced the rear pads last month not touching anything else (apart from flushing the fluid), so I should probably be as good without resurfacing or buying new rotors as just replacing the pads and leave the rest as is.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
There is no ridge at all, I just had the car in for the 2nd year service and the guy said I have at at least 2/3 of the rotor left, so another 50-60K miles or so if I drive the way I did so far. I guess if I leave the rotors as are, after a while the new pads will take up the shape of the current surface anyhow and braking power will be as good as with new or resurfaced rotors, the groves are really not deep, just not totally flat as on a new one. BMW actually replaced the rear pads last month not touching anything else (apart from flushing the fluid), so I should probably be as good without resurfacing or buying new rotors as just replacing the pads and leave the rest as is.
Swap the new pads in. Take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles.
You'll be fine.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
Quote:
Swap the new pads in. Take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles.
You'll be fine.
Thanks, I think I have just convinced myself that it will be all fine to leave the rotors as are, just need to bed the brakes well and be careful the first week or two. Not sure would trust that they do a good enough job resurfacing anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
cgarner40
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Those concentric lines are basically your previous pad transfer from initial bed in process. If you are putting in a harder compound pad, a lot of the time you can use that pad so scrape off the old softer pad transfer through mild driving while pads are cold. Then once satisfied with old transfer removal, fully bed in new pads. No rotor change is necessary within reason.

Check out the "learn tab" in this link. A lot of great info and video tutorials.
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarner40
Quote:
Those concentric lines are basically your previous pad transfer from initial bed in process. If you are putting in a harder compound pad, a lot of the time you can use that pad so scrape off the old softer pad transfer through mild driving while pads are cold. Then once satisfied with old transfer removal, fully bed in new pads. No rotor change is necessary within reason.

Check out the "learn tab" in this link. A lot of great info and video tutorials.
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center
Thanks, this is a great source of valuable information with great details too!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
F30JetsFan
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sportline

Just had a brake job done at my local dealer, replaced pads and rotors with stock ones. I was told it's not advisable to replace just the pads. My rotors needed replacing as well because I had deep ridges. If I had just gotten the new pads alone the car wouldn't brake as well. I wasn't gonna skimp on safety and performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30JetsFan View Post
Just had a brake job done at my local dealer, replaced pads and rotors with stock ones. I was told it's not advisable to replace just the pads. My rotors needed replacing as well because I had deep ridges. If I had just gotten the new pads alone the car wouldn't brake as well. I wasn't gonna skimp on safety and performance.
Brakes are optional. Just like how vaccines are optional for children.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
F30JetsFan
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Brakes are optional. Just like how vaccines are optional for children.
Yup. I'll surely keep that in mind next time I need to make a sudden stop lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30JetsFan View Post
Yup. I'll surely keep that in mind next time I need to make a sudden stop lol
Just engine brake! (sarcasm directed at those who swear by this method when foregoing winter tires in driving conditions that really necessitate them).
Appreciate 0