E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede REV3 (few questions)

08-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Procede REV3 (few questions)

Hi!

I recently purchased 2006 e92 335i which according to previous owner
has JB4 on it. After i noticed that commands don't work like they should
on steering wheel, i took DME area down and noticed that there is
Procede REV3!

I tried to find out much as information i could about this product but there
seems to be very little.

Questions:
- I have no USB cable for it, i assume a normal computer USB won't work to hook laptop on it right?
I wanted to try wastegate rattle fix by lowering wastegate position from 90%.
- It seems like Procede has died according the information that i found and theres no support anymore on it?
Should i stick with it or just take it away and replace it with new JB4 G5 ISO?

Speaking of modding, my plans are not to do any MAJOR modifications on car.
I just want to get rid off the rattle that is stupid loud especially on Decerlation
if nothing else works i guess i'll just have to buy new OEM turbos or something.
Other than that, in the future after i get rid off the rattle mods that i might do
would be maybe just Procede / JB4 + BMS dci + catless downpipes or something like that.

E: And i have tried Mr.5 Actuator rod tightening but in my case it's impossible to get
10mm nut loosen.

Let me know if i need to add or didn't think about something as i am not that familiar with these things yet.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Beisofmarko; 08-18-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Sell it and get a Jb4. Support for procede has been dead for years now. JB4 is always being updated with new features, just a few days ago, a new firmware version came out.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe View Post
Sell it and get a Jb4. Support for procede has been dead for years now. JB4 is always being updated with new features, just a few days ago, a new firmware version came out.
Yes i know and have heard so much good about JB4 but just wanting to hear some opinions from you guys that actually know something about these
unlike me

So if this is the case what would be the correct way to do this for newbie like me?

-When i opened the DME box, there was black Procede REV3 box, i assume this is plug n play or? so just disconnect it?

-Order new JB4 G5 ISO with BMS data cable and just hook that up following installation guide?

is it simple as that?

E: And if i understood right, how do i know if i have some flash ontop of that ? (and if i did, should i flash it somehow back to stock before installing JB4)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

for the procede, I believe any usb cable will work.

as far as swapping it for a jb4, you will have to completely remove the procede wiring harness and install the jb4 wiring harness.

You can always plug into the procede, see what firmware you are running, update it if it isnt the latest, and see how you like it. If you dont plan on doing much in terms of performance mods, you wont see much, if any difference between procede/jb4.

For flashing, you can buy the MHD app for android and a dcan cable and flash back to stock, but it will cost $80 for the app and another $60ish for the cable. Or take it into a dealer and ask them to check.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
for the procede, I believe any usb cable will work.

as far as swapping it for a jb4, you will have to completely remove the procede wiring harness and install the jb4 wiring harness.

You can always plug into the procede, see what firmware you are running, update it if it isnt the latest, and see how you like it. If you dont plan on doing much in terms of performance mods, you wont see much, if any difference between procede/jb4.

For flashing, you can buy the MHD app for android and a dcan cable and flash back to stock, but it will cost $80 for the app and another $60ish for the cable. Or take it into a dealer and ask them to check.
Yeah probably there won't be that much difference on my mods to come
but JB4 has more features? new updates coming and active support so thats why i think its better choice.

Does these Procede / JB4 require flashes or it might be just that i have stock flash and just procede right now?
And if i have some flash, is it a must to take off when switching to JB4 ?

I feel dumb asking these questions but yeah
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
liteweight13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

If you are not going to mod the car just buy a usb cable and read the DIY on how to run it to the glove box. All you need is a laptop and you can update the maps online. It has no support anymore but if you dont mind the learning curve it will save you from buying something that will basically do the same thing as your procede
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteweight13 View Post
If you are not going to mod the car just buy a usb cable and read the DIY on how to run it to the glove box. All you need is a laptop and you can update the maps online. It has no support anymore but if you dont mind the learning curve it will save you from buying something that will basically do the same thing as your procede
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
JValenzSD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 e90 335i/'11 Ducati 848EVO

I have no USB cable for it, i assume a normal computer USB won't work to hook laptop on it right? [Any USB printer can work with that.]

I wanted to try wastegate rattle fix by lowering wastegate position from 90%. [You can do that in the Procede Tuning Software. Lower the WG position to 50% to reduce rattle.]

It seems like Procede has died according the information that i found and there's no support anymore on it? [If you are DIY savvy, you don't need support. Just go to their website and download the latest firmware and maps for your application. There are many How To Videos on their site to reference. It should be straight forward.]

[That is entirely up to you and your comfort level of support, ongoing platform evolution, HP goals, and budget.]

IMHO, try the DIY route (update Procede firmware, revise WG Position to 50%, and load the correct map) first and see how that works for you since you don't plan on modding heavily anytime soon. If you decide to start modding, then you might want to sell the Procede and get a tune that would align with your needs.

I had the Procede Rev3 v5 not too long ago, but the piggy-back had a connection problem with the harness, caused all sorts of issues. I emailed their support and I got a response back to test the box and move the harness and see if the car misbehaves, they will ship me a new wiring harness if mine is found faulty. Since my car is a DD, I'm using the MHD tuner with their OTS maps for now. It's smooth, strong, and crisp. Only thing that I miss the most are the gauge hijacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beisofmarko View Post
Hi!

I recently purchased 2006 e92 335i which according to previous owner
has JB4 on it. After i noticed that commands don't work like they should
on steering wheel, i took DME area down and noticed that there is
Procede REV3!

I tried to find out much as information i could about this product but there
seems to be very little.

Questions:
- I have no USB cable for it, i assume a normal computer USB won't work to hook laptop on it right?
I wanted to try wastegate rattle fix by lowering wastegate position from 90%.
- It seems like Procede has died according the information that i found and theres no support anymore on it?

Speaking of modding, my plans are not to do any MAJOR modifications on car.
I just want to get rid off the rattle that is stupid loud especially on Decerlation
if nothing else works i guess i'll just have to buy new OEM turbos or something.
Other than that, in the future after i get rid off the rattle mods that i might do
would be maybe just Procede / JB4 + BMS dci + catless downpipes or something like that.

E: And i have tried Mr.5 Actuator rod tightening but in my case it's impossible to get
10mm nut loosen.

Let me know if i need to add or didn't think about something as i am not that familiar with these things yet.

Thanks in advance!
Speedtech PTE6266CEA Gen2 1.0 A/R T4 Divided, MHD E30, Fuel-It St2, Fuel-It TBI, Tial MV-R, ER CP/BOV, CX-Racing FMIC, 2.5" SS Straight Pipes w/resonators, External PCV w/ Plugged Head, GFB GF3, 4port MAC, PR IM, Ohlin's R&T DFV, M3 Bits, TMS Al SF, MF Diff Bushings, Whiteline PU TA Bushings, ECS RTA, MF 3.46 LSD, RL 75w140NS, Eibach M3 ASB, ECS 2 Pc CD/S Rotors, Hawk HPS+, ECS SS Lines, Motul Dot 5.1, NGK 95706
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Yeah well i guess instead of rushing things i'll just buy usb cable tomorrow and try updating procede and adjust wastegate position from there first.
I can buy JB4 in the future if i decide to add more mods in the future but thats other time then.

Umm.. i tried looking their website and im not quite sure what i need to download to get newest firmwares and so on.. and most of their pages
won't even work for me

If anyone could point me to right direction on what i should download from there?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah well i guess instead of rushing things i'll just buy usb cable tomorrow and try updating procede and adjust wastegate position from there first.
I can buy JB4 in the future if i decide to add more mods in the future but thats other time then.

Umm.. i tried looking their website and im not quite sure what i need to download to get newest firmwares and so on.. and most of their pages
won't even work for me

If anyone could point me to right direction on what i should download from there?

Thanks!
http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...downloads.html

I believe you will need the interface: PROcede User Tuning Interface v5.34 BETA.zip

Firmware and maps: Aggressive v5 9_10__BETA.zip

Be sure to read those read me files and pay attention to details.

I'm not sure why some guys are saying if you want to mod your car heavily switch the tune.

I had a procede with full bolt ons and meth and it ran flawlessly. There are some ups to a newer JB4 or MHD flash but none that affect a typical FBO setup.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...downloads.html

I believe you will need the interface: PROcede User Tuning Interface v5.34 BETA.zip

Firmware and maps: Aggressive v5 9_10__BETA.zip

Be sure to read those read me files and pay attention to details.

I'm not sure why some guys are saying if you want to mod your car heavily switch the tune.

I had a procede with full bolt ons and meth and it ran flawlessly. There are some ups to a newer JB4 or MHD flash but none that affect a typical FBO setup.
I'm confused how this interface works.
I downloaded the interface and the 9-10 agressive maps
(does this package have newest firmware aswell) ?

I guess i can just hook laptop up with procede using that interface that i downloaded and see if "Firmware info" gives me the version i currently have?

And last but not least, how am i supposed to change position of wastegate between 30-90% ? This looks wierd into my eyes..

Thanks again guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
jjbmuu
4ut0strd4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E92 335i 6 Speed

Just think of 30 as the minimum value and 90 as the maximum value. I have mine set to 30 and it helped for a while, but now I think my wastegates are so worn out 30 isn't enough anymore and it rattles still from time to time..
Current Estimate: 450/500 on E50 Custom EDC Tuning MHD Flash @ 21psi
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused how this interface works.
I downloaded the interface and the 9-10 agressive maps
(does this package have newest firmware aswell) ?

I guess i can just hook laptop up with procede using that interface that i downloaded and see if "Firmware info" gives me the version i currently have?

And last but not least, how am i supposed to change position of wastegate between 30-90% ? This looks wierd into my eyes..

Thanks again guys!
The interface is the software and the firmware and maps should be in the 9-10 maps link. If I recall correctly, the firmware always needs to mate with the correct map files.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
The interface is the software and the firmware and maps should be in the 9-10 maps link. If I recall correctly, the firmware always needs to mate with the correct map files.
Yeah all the files just looked wierd to me but i guess i found it now.
I think the newest firmware file that i need to update is the pro5v111.bin

Just bought the usb cable hour ago and gonna hook it up most likely tomorrow
after work and update it unless its allready updated ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J4ck0wsk1 View Post
Just think of 30 as the minimum value and 90 as the maximum value. I have mine set to 30 and it helped for a while, but now I think my wastegates are so worn out 30 isn't enough anymore and it rattles still from time to time..
Yeah i don't know if mine are too worn aswell but i want to try this ofcourse first, if it doesn't work i will most likely buy new OEM turbos
to replace the ones rattling. I'm still running the same stock turbos that came from factory and i have 150.000km's allready on them.
I heard new OEM turbos have some changes like 8mm thick actuator rod instead of the old 6mm that i have and so on.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by Beisofmarko; 08-19-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

little update..

Today i decided to do this.
I followed instructions on procede manual and updated the firmware.
I had version 110 and the one i updated was 111.
Anyway after updating 100% it says "ECU resetting, please wait"
In my case it gets stuck there and red bar won't change to light blue/green??

I have laptop hooked to powersupply while doing this.
I Shutted down the software and then ignition on car and waited some minutes
to let DME go to sleep, then i connected procede again and turned ignition on.

It says procede connected on light blue and when i check firmware info
it says version 111.

So am i good to go even the ECU resetting please wait red bar didn't go off
by itself? I also tried uploading second time just to be safe but still same thing..

I waited maybe 10mins on ECU resetting part before shutting software.

I'm confused if its properly done now?

About map uploading, in my case i need to upload only 1 file or ? 6MT and what stage? 1 or 2? I have procede and BMS dci.
(probably gonna get ar downpipes / some FMIC later but we'll see)

And how do i do this part: Step 5: Once uploaded, go to Mode 3 on the Command Center and do commands 12 thru 1 (12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 in that order). It's also a good idea to wait 10 seconds once Command 3 is executed (DME reset) before progressing to 2 and then 1.

My car does not have second stalk on left side for CC??

Also about the wastegate position, seems like i have it set at default 90%, should i try to lower it first at
60-50% or something and test if rattle is lowered / gone (keep it high as possible instead of setting it
at 30% rightaway?)

Thanks!

Last edited by Beisofmarko; 08-26-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
little update..

Today i decided to do this.
I followed instructions on procede manual and updated the firmware.
I had version 110 and the one i updated was 111.
Anyway after updating 100% it says "ECU resetting, please wait"
In my case it gets stuck there and red bar won't change to light blue/green??

I have laptop hooked to powersupply while doing this.
I Shutted down the software and then ignition on car and waited some minutes
to let DME go to sleep, then i connected procede again and turned ignition on.

It says procede connected on light blue and when i check firmware info
it says version 111.

So am i good to go even the ECU resetting please wait red bar didn't go off
by itself? I also tried uploading second time just to be safe but still same thing..

I waited maybe 10mins on ECU resetting part before shutting software.

I'm confused if its properly done now?

About map uploading, in my case i need to upload only 1 file or ? 6MT and what stage? 1 or 2? I have procede and BMS dci.
(probably gonna get ar downpipes / some FMIC later but we'll see)

And how do i do this part: Step 5: Once uploaded, go to Mode 3 on the Command Center and do commands 12 thru 1 (12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 in that order). It's also a good idea to wait 10 seconds once Command 3 is executed (DME reset) before progressing to 2 and then 1.

My car does not have second stalk on left side for CC??

Also about the wastegate position, seems like i have it set at default 90%, should i try to lower it first at
60-50% or something and test if rattle is lowered / gone (keep it high as possible instead of setting it
at 30% rightaway?)

Thanks!
I believe the ECU resetting and getting stuck is normal. If the car starts up fine you are good to go.

Stage 1 is for your mods. Stage 2 would be for downpipes or FMIC.

If you don't have a stalk I'm not sure how you execute those commands. If the car drives fine you don't really need to reset, it's more of a precautionary step.

I'd start at 90, you can always change with ease without having to upgrade firmware and maps again.

You want to keep it as high as possible because the lower you go the more lag you will have and less response.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
I believe the ECU resetting and getting stuck is normal. If the car starts up fine you are good to go.

Stage 1 is for your mods. Stage 2 would be for downpipes or FMIC.

If you don't have a stalk I'm not sure how you execute those commands. If the car drives fine you don't really need to reset, it's more of a precautionary step.

I'd start at 90, you can always change with ease without having to upgrade firmware and maps again.

You want to keep it as high as possible because the lower you go the more lag you will have and less response.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for aswer!

There is no way to execute those commands without stalk from what i've read last hour or two.
I read someone people without stalk have disconnected their battery after loading new maps for 1 hour, so i'm gonna do that aswell i guess, that should reset everything also right?

After that i'm gonna plug everything on place and start the car and see.
Wastegate postion is now 50% from the previous 90% so we'll see..

And yeah, i uploaded stg 1 map for now, not too hard to upgrade later if i add mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for aswer!

There is no way to execute those commands without stalk from what i've read last hour or two.
I read someone people without stalk have disconnected their battery after loading new maps for 1 hour, so i'm gonna do that aswell i guess, that should reset everything also right?

After that i'm gonna plug everything on place and start the car and see.
Wastegate postion is now 50% from the previous 90% so we'll see..

And yeah, i uploaded stg 1 map for now, not too hard to upgrade later if i add mods.
Yea the reset thing is not 100% necessary, if you want to do it anyway you are welcome too.

Back in the day, when uploading new firmware, some cars would glitch out, so that is why the reset through commands become standard practice but 90% of the time it wasn't necessary.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Yea the reset thing is not 100% necessary, if you want to do it anyway you are welcome too.

Back in the day, when uploading new firmware, some cars would glitch out, so that is why the reset through commands become standard practice but 90% of the time it wasn't necessary.
Oh, Okay

I just finished and took car for a small test drive and i'm happy to say that
decerlation rattle is 90%+ gone!! (i had to lower WG position to 30%, 50 wasn't enough). Now there is only really minor rattle on
accerlation at maybe 1700-2000rpm that i probably wouldn't even notice if
didn't pay attetion!

I've only seen people writing this stuff when i've searched information but now i can say, wow it's nice to hear turbos for the first time!
(even though they're small )

as minuses ofcourse, turbo lag seems to be like doubled but in my case i
rather deal with that instead of that crazy rattle that turned heads when i rolled in parking lots.

No problems atleast on that first 30min drive, except Gas light turned up for like 30seconds even though tank was 90% full ?

If there won't come come problems i think i'll go with these untill wastegates worn out more and rattle comes back or if/when i get bored on turbo lag. Then new turbos.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Okay now it's pretty clear, evertything seems to work as they should
but the fuel light comes up after starting and i just went to fill tank so
its full now but meter on dash won't move, it stays stuck at little over half.
It stays on same position on every map 0 1 2 3.

How can i reset that or whats my case here, anyone have a clue??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0