F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 335xi pulls to right - Dealer can't fix
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
335xi pulls to right - Dealer can't fix

Hi,

Looking for some feedback from the community. One of the 335xi's I have has developed an issue where it pulls to the right. When I brought the car into the dealer I had mentioned that there was oil under the front passenger side wheel.(I showed them a picture from my garage) This made me assume the strut was leaking. Additionally I mentioned that the pull to the right was a bit odd because it tends to happen when I hit bumps even subtle ones. The wheel almost feels loose and then the car will pull to the right side. I ended up taking a ride with the shop foremen he acknowledged the pull and indicated that they would check the suspension. A couple of hours later I got a call that everything was fine with the suspension, struts were dry and that an alignment should be performed to resolve the issue. I agreed and had the alignment performed. When the results of the alignment came back it showed that prior to the alignment everything was within specification except the Total Toe which was positive 36 minutes. Total Toe was corrected to specification but doing so added additional cross camber from -6 minutes to -16 minutes. This is still well within specification. When I took the car out of the dealership it immediately started pulling the right, although slight and not horrible it was still happening. I called the dealer back and was asked to bring the car in the next. The next morning I took another ride with the shop foreman. This time he indicated that he thought the steering was fine and was within specification. At that point I asked for the alignment to be performed again to try to adjust the camber to remove any cross camber. The dealership performed a realignment but was still not able to remove the cross camber claiming that they have little ability to change camber on the F30. Not sure if this is true. The camber in question is -38 minutes on left side and -22 minutes on the right. Spec is -22 and -19 according to the alignment read out. After this second alignment the car still pulls to the right. The dealer says they can't do anything and that I need to wait for the BMW factory rep and have him drive the car in 2-3 weeks. Also car is completely stock.

Wondering if anyone else has run into an issue like this? And if a strut not rebounding properly could cause what I'm describing.

Thanks
-Mark
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
daob_svk
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

mine pulls to the right when I let go of the steering wheel, dealer say that its normal
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

It's not the camber. I have tried many set up's and no pulling was observed.

Did they check the front dampers?
How about the right bearing? Increased resistance here will make the car pull slightly to the right. In 300 km you will be able to hear this as well.

Does it pull continiously or is it periodically?
/Krelle
      09-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hi Krelle - Pulling happens mostly when going over a bump or dip in the road. I told them I think its the strut a ton of times but they don't believe me. Even though there is oil on the floor of my garage under that tire. They didn't say anything about looking at the bearing.

Here is the updated story:
Late last week I the factory rep was able to look at the car. He indicated that something was wrong. They attempted swapping the front tires which did nothing. Then they updated the steering software which again did nothing. Then they made multiple adjustments to the steering rack which again did nothing. Apparently at that point measurements were made and sent to BMW. The next day I got a call from the service manager and they had swapped my rims and tires with ones from a loaner car. Indication was that this fixed the issue and that I should come drive the car with the shop foreman. Went down right away and test drove the car and of course the issue was still there. At that point I asked for like the 50th time to have the front strut replaced. Since there is an oil spot under where that tire sits in my garage I have a good feeling that is the cause of the problem. BMWNA has approved replacing the strut. Just waiting for it to come in at this point. Once installed I'll post my results.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Hi Mhannis,
Good news. Wonder why they as professionals haven't been looking at that corner before. Especially when you guided in that direction.
Looking forward to hearing about the outcome.
      09-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Latest update: Dealer replaced the front passenger strut and the call still pulls. They indicated that there is nothing more that they can do and that I should talk to BMW NA. Called BMW NA and they indicated that I need to work with the dealer to have a PUMA case opened. Called the dealer to find that a PUMA case has already been opened. Called back BMW NA and left a message that the case has been opened. Waiting to hear back. I'm sure there will be a lot more run around until something gets done. Hopefully BMW NA makes things right.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhannis View Post
Latest update: Dealer replaced the front passenger strut and the call still pulls. They indicated that there is nothing more that they can do and that I should talk to BMW NA. Called BMW NA and they indicated that I need to work with the dealer to have a PUMA case opened. Called the dealer to find that a PUMA case has already been opened. Called back BMW NA and left a message that the case has been opened. Waiting to hear back. I'm sure there will be a lot more run around until something gets done. Hopefully BMW NA makes things right.

i have just gotten out of the shop 3 times, and BMW Service don't seem to be able to correct my issue which is similar to yours, slight pull to the right!! They even. Messed up my steering center so when the car is going straight the steering wheel is off center. I hope they fix it today. Any update on yours?
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Are you sure you have all the CV axles? Perhaps you ordered the car with the One Wheel Drive Option Package from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Are you sure you have all the CV axles? Perhaps you ordered the car with the One Wheel Drive Option Package from the factory.
LOL sure! Funny. Had the car over a year now. So I would know if I had the One Wheel Drive Option.

LOL LOL
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Sounds like your 'X' drive is missing something. Maybe it's a 'Y' drive now.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Perhaps one of the brake calipers is stuck/seized.

Try removing the brakes and test driving the car to see if it is still pulling to the right.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Aalders
Rep
Drives: 335ix GT

Mine also pulls to the right. I thought i was crazy.... ill make sure i bring it up with the dealer next week when i go in for a oil change
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So now the dealer is telling BMW NA customer service that the reason for the pull is due to non run flat tires and that they swapped them and there was no issue. Funny part is they had me drive the car when they did the swap and the car still pulled to the right. Not sure why the dealer is playing games. I've left the service director a voicemail about this. Additionally, why did these tires not have any issue for the last 12k miles. This is beyond frustrating. The plan was to pick up an M4 next year... Not so sure about that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
So now the dealer is telling BMW NA customer service that the reason for the pull is due to non run flat tires and that they swapped them and there was no issue. Funny part is they had me drive the car when they did the swap and the car still pulled to the right. Not sure why the dealer is playing games. I've left the service director a voicemail about this. Additionally, why did these tires not have any issue for the last 12k miles. This is beyond frustrating. The plan was to pick up an M4 next year... Not so sure about that anymore.
Keep kicking his a$$. Is there a Moron Dealer of the Year award? Maybe yours is a contender but some on this forum have described some pretty stiff competition for that award.

Oh, the tires did it? No. It was that pack of gum in glove box.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs down

Still working on getting this handled. I have posted a negative review at dealerrater and on the dealerships facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/bmwwestgerman/reviews)

Hopefully, this gets some attention. I'll keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
medlyleeds
Rep
Drives: G20 320D x-drive

Hi. Did you ever get this sorted? I'm having a similar problem with mine and can't seem to find a solution
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #17
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dealers alignment machine had an issue. Funny that they took like 2 months to figure it out and told me I was crazy a lot of times. Once the alignment machine was fixed and my car was realigned everything was good.
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5899.00
      08-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #18
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Dealers alignment machine had an issue. Funny that they took like 2 months to figure it out and told me I was crazy a lot of times. Once the alignment machine was fixed and my car was realigned everything was good.
I wonder how many other cars they messed up. And surprising more ppl didn’t complain

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440ix cpe + 2018 x4 m40i

love the revived 4 year old thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #20
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCarGuy View Post
love the revived 4 year old thread!
Love that there’s finally closure

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Knowing the root cause is very satisfying.
Appreciate 0