Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
kylecronin
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

What is this sound? Is it normal?

I've had my F82 (DCT) for a little over 5 months and put about 14,000 miles on it. I've noticed a sound for a little while, sort of a vibration at 1500RPM or so at 50+% throttle. It's not super loud and it doesn't appear to affect the performance of the car, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it is, and if it's something I should try and have fixed. I don't know if the car has always made this sound, or if it's something new.

I uploaded a clip here:

https://soundcloud.com/kyle-cronin/m4-sound

This audio was recorded with a microphone dangling outside the bottom of the driver's door. In this clip, I'm in 3rd gear at about 1000RPM. I then give about 50% throttle, and as the tach passes 1500RPM you can hear the metallic vibrating sound. As the RPMs continue to climb the sound disappears.

I also recorded the engine and the exhaust by putting a microphone near the wipers and dangling a microphone out the tailgate, both of which did not register the sound. It must be coming from underneath the center of the car.

Last edited by kylecronin; 08-31-2015 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

track not found
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
kylecronin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianDevil View Post
track not found
Sorry about that! I had the wrong permissions on the upload. It should work now.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

It's the exhaust valves resonating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecronin View Post
I've had my F82 (DCT) for a little over 5 months and put about 14,000 miles on it. I've noticed a sound for a little while, sort of a vibration at 1500RPM or so at 50+% throttle. It's not super loud and it doesn't appear to affect the performance of the car, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it is, and if it's something I should try and have fixed. I don't know if the car has always made this sound, or if it's something new.

I uploaded a clip here:

https://soundcloud.com/kyle-cronin/m4-sound

This audio was recorded with a microphone dangling outside the bottom of the driver's door. In this clip, I'm in 3rd gear at about 1000RPM. I then give about 50% throttle, and as the tach passes 1500RPM you can hear the metallic vibrating sound. As the RPMs continue to climb the sound disappears.

I also recorded the engine and the exhaust by putting a microphone near the wipers and dangling a microphone out the tailgate, both of which did not register the sound. It must be coming from underneath the center of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
kylecronin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
It's the exhaust valves resonating.
OK, that's good to know, thanks. Is it normal? Is it something I can have fixed?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecronin View Post
OK, that's good to know, thanks. Is it normal? Is it something I can have fixed?
100% normal for most early cars. I think LCI ones have modified exhaust valve assemblies.

Dealer will change out the exhaust it if it really bugs you as it's a known fault.

You could remove the internal spring in each valve housing and stretch it out a bit and then re-fit. Worked for me but it is a PITA to re-fit the spring into the valve assembly.

Mad.
Appreciate 0