F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i M Sport Touring - buying advice
proTUNING Freaks

09-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M Sport+

340i M Sport Touring - buying advice

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and (tempted by some good looking deals on Coast2coast cars and broadspeed) I am near to pulling the trigger on one of these. Realising that few people if any will have one I would just appreciate some general advice.

Just as background my wife and I have decided to treat ourselves as we work hard. We have 2 small kids so want something practical for the family that is not a lumbering beast but also fast and fun for when we are driving on our own. We wont use it for a work commute - mixture of urban, country roads and motorway trips and will probably do 7-10k miles per year with the odd long trip, so we figured a diesel is not needed and petrol more fun. Looking at the c. 9k discounts on a 340i I'm now on the verge of ordering. We currently drive a Golf 1.4 so this will be a big step up!

Ride?
I have read a lot of concern about the hard ride on RFT's. Can anyone provide some advice based on the current F31? With all I have read I will probably stay on the 18inch rims and avoid the lovely looking 19's and also specify adaptive suspension. Will the kids be bone shaken in the back? Should I consider deleting the M sport suspension or not choosing runflats? Is there space under the boot shelf for a space saver wheel in the F31?

Interior
Thinking about Black with Dark Oyster highlight / Black Dakota leather - dark leather seems a better bet with kids. Anyone have experience with this choice?

Broker vs Lease
These broker deals look great - are there any catches? We considered leasing but worry that with the kids we may end up being hit with a repair bill at the end of a lease. We have the money to either buy cash or take PCP but we are not loaded so want to make a smart decision.

Options
Considering the following - any thoughts?
- Professional Media package
- Enhanced USB & Bluetooth
- Sun protection glass
- M sport Adaptive Suspension
- Enhanced storage

Being quoted on the road price of 32k....

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Welcome, good choice. I have 3 kids and the ride in my F31 on 19" run flats and adaptive is plenty comfy. In comfort mode it is smooth and agile and switching to sport mode just firms things up a little to make a difference without being harsh. I came from a Jaguar XF so am used to comfort. I'd certainly go with the m-sport plus pack that gives you sun protection glass, a decent stereo, decent lights and bigger brakes and those nice 19" wheels. I'd add adaptive suspension and heated seats as a minimum and professional media if your budget will stretch if not just add black panel display.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2408 View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and (tempted by some good looking deals on Coast2coast cars and broadspeed) I am near to pulling the trigger on one of these. Realising that few people if any will have one I would just appreciate some general advice.

Just as background my wife and I have decided to treat ourselves as we work hard. We have 2 small kids so want something practical for the family that is not a lumbering beast but also fast and fun for when we are driving on our own. We wont use it for a work commute - mixture of urban, country roads and motorway trips and will probably do 7-10k miles per year with the odd long trip, so we figured a diesel is not needed and petrol more fun. Looking at the c. 9k discounts on a 340i I'm now on the verge of ordering. We currently drive a Golf 1.4 so this will be a big step up!

Ride?
I have read a lot of concern about the hard ride on RFT's. Can anyone provide some advice based on the current F31? With all I have read I will probably stay on the 18inch rims and avoid the lovely looking 19's and also specify adaptive suspension. Will the kids be bone shaken in the back? Should I consider deleting the M sport suspension or not choosing runflats? Is there space under the boot shelf for a space saver wheel in the F31?

Interior
Thinking about Black with Dark Oyster highlight / Black Dakota leather - dark leather seems a better bet with kids. Anyone have experience with this choice?

Broker vs Lease
These broker deals look great - are there any catches? We considered leasing but worry that with the kids we may end up being hit with a repair bill at the end of a lease. We have the money to either buy cash or take PCP but we are not loaded so want to make a smart decision.

Options
- Sun protection glass
- Enhanced storage

Being quoted on the road price of 32k....

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Welcome. We've just ordered this car and in Surrey too, so PM me if you want details of dealer where we got a good deal. I'd say avoid the brokers if you can and most dealers will try and match the internet prices, and sometimes do better.

Price looks about right for spec, but you may want to add a bit more, as this is the top line. I'd budget around £3k more, add things like HK system, better 19" wheels, and maybe panoramic sunroof. M Sport Plus pack makes sense if you want sun protection glass.

We're going for Oyster interior. You have to make your own decisions about how you let your kids treat the car and what mileage/use the car will get. If you use it a lot, and genuinely you allow them to eat/drink whatever etc, then black may be better. If not, a lighter colour will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

I'd approach your local dealer for a test drive and give them the opportunity to match the online quotes; my local dealer did me a similar or better deal than I could get online at the time.

We've got the black dakota leather and having a pan roof makes the cabin a lot lighter.

Pro Nav is ace.
I've also got the M Sport + pack, which is worthwhile.
Heated seats as mentioned.
Heated steering wheel is nice
Power fold / auto-dim mirrors are also nice.

I don't think you will have any issue with the adaptive suspension, I've only got passive suspension with AC Schnitzer lowering springs and the ride isn't bad, so yours on standard springs and adaptive should be just fine, even with 19" runflats.
      09-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_340i View Post
Welcome. We've just ordered this car and in Surrey too, so PM me if you want details of dealer where we got a good deal. I'd say avoid the brokers if you can and most dealers will try and match the internet prices, and sometimes do better.

Price looks about right for spec, but you may want to add a bit more, as this is the top line. I'd budget around £3k more, add things like HK system, better 19" wheels, and maybe panoramic sunroof. M Sport Plus pack makes sense if you want sun protection glass.

We're going for Oyster interior. You have to make your own decisions about how you let your kids treat the car and what mileage/use the car will get. If you use it a lot, and genuinely you allow them to eat/drink whatever etc, then black may be better. If not, a lighter colour will be fine.
Eat and drink!! My kids aren't even allowed to touch the interior
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
Eat and drink!! My kids aren't even allowed to touch the interior
This not your car then?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_340i View Post
This not your car then?
Hell no, that's the wife's
Why do women trash car interiors?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Hi,

I have a 335i F31 (touring) so I think a lot of my experiences will translate to you.

Quote:
We wont use it for a work commute - mixture of urban, country roads and motorway trips and will probably do 7-10k miles per year with the odd long trip, so we figured a diesel is not needed and petrol more fun. Looking at the c. 9k discounts on a 340i I'm now on the verge of ordering. We currently drive a Golf 1.4 so this will be a big step up!
At that mileage the petrol is definitely the way to go - if only for the noise (both refinement when pootling and growl when pushed). As regards the Golf 1.4 - my wife has one (mk 6) and it's a fantastic car. Sure mine's quicker etc, but the 1.4 TSI Golf is such a perfect car for what it is I can't say I'd consider the BMW "better" - just different. In fact, I still reckon the Golf's ride is hard to beat - by any car.

Quote:
Ride?
I have 19" RFTs and M-Sport suspension and felt the need to stiffen the suspension up with ACS springs. The F3x are over-sprung IMHO - I think BMW's reaction to past criticism of too harsh a ride. I'd be surprised if you find the ride too hard.

Quote:
Interior
I have the black interior and it's very practical but if I didn't have kids I'd go for something lighter. Oyster would probably be too risky with kids, but only you can decide. I like the Coral Red and the brown (whatever that's called).

Quote:
Options
- Sun protection glass
- Enhanced storage
I think the Pro Nav is almost essential on a high-end car. The enhanced BT can be coded, but if you're not into that then it's a good option to have. Sun Pro a personal thing - I have it but if I didn't I would lose sleep over it. Adaptive - you'll find two schools of thought. I don't have it and don't feel I'm missing anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

jr2408, Ref the suspension, the link below is a good read and having owned two identical cars one with passive and the other with adaptive I would agree with the comments of the first post. Try both before you buy would be my advice.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=802149
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all thanks for the advice so far, very useful!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Mr Enigma
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

If you want a good dealer to give you the best price straight away then you need to speak to Riaz. See this thread for his contact details: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1168382

Good luck with your build... That's part of the fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

As mentioned drop Riaz a line.

Personally would add Msport Plus pack, Vis pack to get full adaptive, Pro Media, heated seats and heated steering wheel, folding mirrors and adaptive suspension.

I think with deals Riaz does the above will fall in your budget

Of course go for the F31
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
As mentioned drop Riaz a line.

Personally would add Msport Plus pack, Vis pack to get full adaptive, Pro Media, heated seats and heated steering wheel, folding mirrors and adaptive suspension.

I think with deals Riaz does the above will fall in your budget

Of course go for the F31
Thanks for the advice, have dropped him a line.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #14
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Plenty good advice already. You won't fit in a space saver without leaving it in the boot itself, so really it's RFT or tyre repair kit if you swap to non runflats.

It's not terrible on RFTs just a bit better without them, and certainly not the issue it was on the previous generation of cars.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:55 AM   #15
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

A fine choice of engine sir!

As the bible says -

"Blessed are those with sweet in line petrol six"

(Genesis 4, chapter 2, verse 7).

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #16
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Titulescu View Post
Broker deals are better but please take someone experienced with you. Some brokers are nasty people.
Appreciate 0