F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > show Spotify playlists on iDrive
ARMA SPEED

09-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

show Spotify playlists on iDrive

Looking for a simple audiophile improvement:

I can: play Spotify through BT from my Sony xperia Z3 android and skip back/next thru iDrive (no artwork)

I want: browse my Spotify playlists and select songs to play thru idrive (artwork would be a bonus)

I have US spec 04/2014 428i in Europe with navpro, ebt, connected drive valid until 2017. Euro maps are installed & the car is converted to eu spec. However my connected drive (CD) services remain inactive since I was told by BMW Germany I need an expensive telematics control unit replacement (500eur). My CD menu remains empty (just mobile care, teleservices & hotline) and has no apps menu listed bellow.
I do have a coding cable.

Anyone got advice if there is a simple way to get the Spotify playlist to show on idrive? enable bmw apps somehow???

tx for your help
xS

Last edited by keltis99; 09-04-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

I fully understand your need, I have exactly the same issue, and I have been trying to find a solution for weeks now.

I have been doing some research and the 2 problems are:

- Spotify is not a supported BMW ConnectedDrive app on Android. What you want to do (seeing playlist, browse songs, see artworks, all through the iDrive controller and screen) is only possible if you have an iPhone (and the option BMW apps). There are no current apps to have Spotify as BMW app on Android.

- Android is not capable of sending album arts over Bluetooth to your Bmw. This is not an issue with Spotify specifically, this is an issue with the way Android and Bmw communicate through Bluetooth (Ad2P - search it up on google).

if you do find a solution for any of the 2 above listed issues, please share it !!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpaty View Post
I fully understand your need, I have exactly the same issue, and I have been trying to find a solution for weeks now.

- Spotify is not a supported BMW ConnectedDrive app on Android. What you want to do (seeing playlist, browse songs, see artworks, all through the iDrive controller and screen) is only possible if you have an iPhone (and the option BMW apps). There are no current apps to have Spotify as BMW app on Android.

- Android is not capable of sending album arts over Bluetooth to your Bmw. This is not an issue with Spotify specifically, this is an issue with the way Android and Bmw communicate through Bluetooth (Ad2P - search it up on google).

if you do find a solution for any of the 2 above listed issues, please share it !!
good points. what about using the USB cable - could that work somehow - at least for artwork? so far i am unable to get BMW ConnectedDrive app on Android to connect to my car...it does not even allow to run diagnostics
      09-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Simpaty
Private
Rep

that's strange...it could be that you need activate Android compatibility by coding.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that for some cars Android compatibility is not active. On my 2015 F30 Connected app on my Androind successfully connects to the car...

Regarding AlbumArts, I only use Spotify, and no, it does not even work with the USB cable...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

Quote:

Simpaty, so you're saying that with an Iphone, I should be able to browse my spotify on my idrive? At the moment i can only skip tracks. The meta data does update but no artwork.....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Simpaty, so you're saying that with an Iphone, I should be able to browse my spotify on my idrive? At the moment i can only skip tracks. The meta data does update but no artwork.....
If the connecteddrive is working you should have Spotify selectable under the external devices when the iphone is plugged into the USB port. You may need to open the spotify app. When it's connected the phone will display the spotify logo and BMW logo. It sometimes takes a few moments for it to show up after you start the car.
      10-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Simpaty
Private
Rep

Guys, I cancelled my Spotify on Android. I got myself an iPhone with Appl Music. One word. Amazing.
With Bluetooth I get perfect integration with my HU_NBT Connected Drive system. What I means is:

- On Bluetooth I get not only album artwork but full playlist management! Meaning you can scroll down your track list on bluetooth!

- With cable I can do the very same thing, but at the same time using the Connecte app on iPhone (eco analyser pro, calendar integration, etc.)

I will never go back to Android or Spotify. Apple Music is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Simpaty
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
If the connecteddrive is working you should have Spotify selectable under the external devices when the iphone is plugged into the USB port. You may need to open the spotify app. When it's connected the phone will display the spotify logo and BMW logo. It sometimes takes a few moments for it to show up after you start the car.
What you describe here only works with iPhone and NOT on Android phones.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
What you describe here only works with iPhone and NOT on Android phones.
Yes, I was answering ScubaSteve's question.
      10-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

I know this must be such a noob question, but what exactly is the difference between CIC and NBT? When I was in Esys, I only noticed the CIC module and did not see NBT. Is this something I can activate with coding or does it require additional hardware? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I know this must be such a noob question, but what exactly is the difference between CIC and NBT? When I was in Esys, I only noticed the CIC module and did not see NBT. Is this something I can activate with coding or does it require additional hardware? Thanks.
CIC is the last-generation version of iDrive software AND hardware, which was substantially improved upon with NBT. NBT is also known as CIC-HIGH. If you have a 2013 or newer 3-series with iDrive then you should have NBT, I believe.
Appreciate 0