F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Lot's of sediment in oil?! (pic)
ARMA SPEED

09-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Lot's of sediment in oil?! (pic)

Can anybody take a look at this pic and let me know if that seems out of the ordinary. You can clearly see all the sediment in there after I drained the oil out. That catch pan was brand new, no significant buildup of dirt on there before the work. The pieces were hard like coarse sand, so i'm wondering if this should be a concern.

Is it me or does that seem like quite a bit of material? Car has about 14,000 miles on it. Seems to be running fine, no mechanical issues reported by the computer. No issues with low oil either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Can anybody take a look at this pic and let me know if that seems out of the ordinary. You can clearly see all the sediment in there after I drained the oil out.
Only way to tell is to send it to a lab (Blackstone, etc.) Most of that looks like moisture buildup/bubbles suspended in the oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Only way to tell is to send it to a lab (Blackstone, etc.) Most of that looks like moisture buildup/bubbles suspended in the oil.
That's what I was hoping, but I felt it. Gotta be at least 90% of that was hard material. I still have the oil, so as you suggested I might send it out. Just didn't want to do that if it's not really necessary. I'm no pro at this, but I don't recall any past cars having this much material come out. It's also hard to remember back specifically to the early oil changes of those cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

cut the ends off the filter and fan out the pleats looking for particles. collect particles from the oil drain pan and mix with kerosene or other solvent, then strain particles. use a magnet to check if they are iron, aluminum, or something else.
if it turns out to be dirt you might want to check for areas that might allow dirt easy access to the engine.
if its the first oil change it might be excessive dirt/wear during break in.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
cut the ends off the filter and fan out the pleats looking for particles. collect particles from the oil drain pan and mix with kerosene or other solvent, then strain particles. use a magnet to check if they are iron, aluminum, or something else.
if it turns out to be dirt you might want to check for areas that might allow dirt easy access to the engine.
if its the first oil change it might be excessive dirt/wear during break in.
Cool stuff. I will note that and check it out next time i'm back there. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Can anybody take a look at this pic and let me know if that seems out of the ordinary. You can clearly see all the sediment in there after I drained the oil out. That catch pan was brand new, no significant buildup of dirt on there before the work. The pieces were hard like coarse sand, so i'm wondering if this should be a concern.

Is it me or does that seem like quite a bit of material? Car has about 14,000 miles on it. Seems to be running fine, no mechanical issues reported by the computer. No issues with low oil either.
As far as oil analysis goes, that would give you the best idea of what is going on inside the engine. However, dont waste your time sending out the oil that you've already drained. Its been contaminated with the oil\residue in the pan left over from your last change. I use blackstone regularly, the best way to do a sample is to order one of their free kits and catch the oil in the sample container as it exits the vehicle. One thing you might want to check is your air filter and see if its super dirty, maybe stuff is getting in that way? To me it looks like its sand left over from when the engine block was cast, but thats just a guess. My opinion, definitely do a Blackstone UOA on your next oil change, maybe do a short 1500-2000 mile run so you can figure out what you're working with.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion0389 View Post
However, dont waste your time sending out the oil that you've already drained. Its been contaminated with the oil\residue in the pan left over from your last change...
OP was using a new pan; no residue.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
OP was using a new pan; no residue.
If thats the case then, heck yeah stir that junk up and send it off to blackstone.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If thats the case then, heck yeah stir that junk up and send it off to blackstone.
I did however put it all back in to the new oil bottles that I just put in the motor. I didn't have any large jug around to put the old oil in to. So at worst, some leftover brand new oil might have been mixed in. I pour those out to the last drop though, so it would mostly be whatever thin layer was left on the walls of the bottle sliding back down.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
jamoka3
Assassin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive M-SPORT

Did you leave the oil catch pan under the car when you where removing the vehicles skid plate or engine cover? Maybe some sand from under the cars chassis fell on to the top of the oil catch pan right before you drained out the oil?
Just a thought...
      09-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did however put it all back in to the new oil bottles that I just put in the motor. I didn't have any large jug around to put the old oil in to. So at worst, some leftover brand new oil might have been mixed in. I pour those out to the last drop though, so it would mostly be whatever thin layer was left on the walls of the bottle sliding back down.
Yeah when you do the sample, mention that in the notes so they know. Also request a couple sample kits so that next time you can drain straight into their sample container and avoid contamination.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #12
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
Did you leave the oil catch pan under the car when you where removing the vehicles skid plate or engine cover? Maybe some sand from under the cars chassis fell on to the top of the oil catch pan right before you drained out the oil?
Just a thought...
Good thought, but I think i opened it up before I slid the pan under it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #13
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah when you do the sample, mention that in the notes so they know. Also request a couple sample kits so that next time you can drain straight into their sample container and avoid contamination.
Will do, thanks for the assistance.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #14
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As far as oil analysis goes, that would give you the best idea of what is going on inside the engine. However, dont waste your time sending out the oil that you've already drained. Its been contaminated with the oil\residue in the pan left over from your last change. I use blackstone regularly, the best way to do a sample is to order one of their free kits and catch the oil in the sample container as it exits the vehicle. One thing you might want to check is your air filter and see if its super dirty, maybe stuff is getting in that way? To me it looks like its sand left over from when the engine block was cast, but thats just a guess. My opinion, definitely do a Blackstone UOA on your next oil change, maybe do a short 1500-2000 mile run so you can figure out what you're working with.
I have a probably dumb question regarding part of this. I've also seen other discussions about concerns with aftermarket filters possibly causing oil contamination like this. If a filter lets extra dirt into the combustion chamber, how exactly would it get in to the oil? It actually seeps around the piston seal?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a probably dumb question regarding part of this. I've also seen other discussions about concerns with aftermarket filters possibly causing oil contamination like this. If a filter lets extra dirt into the combustion chamber, how exactly would it get in to the oil? It actually seeps around the piston seal?
No there's no way that would happen in modern engines to this extent, honestly the only explanation I have that makes sense is that there was some sand left in there from when the block was cast. I could be wrong but I don't see any other way so much grit could get in there. Truthfully, everything is conjecture til we get a UOA.

With that being said, KN Air filters do allow more junk in the engine. I have personal experience with this on my previous car, however the only way I was able to tell was from the UOA which read a high level of Silicon while I was using a KN filter. With that being said, even with high silicon levels I have never ever seen grit come out of any car like that. Not saying it's impossible, but there's gotta be another explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I seriously doubt this 'grit' came from the filter. I suspect that the oil catch pan was already contaminated with dust/dirty.

Q: How many miles on this oil? You're at 14k and that seems like an odd number.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #17
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I seriously doubt this 'grit' came from the filter. I suspect that the oil catch pan was already contaminated with dust/dirty.

OP says catch pan was brand new, never used before...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
OP says catch pan was brand new, never used before...
Ya but who knows. A smattering of dust is all it takes but who knows

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #19
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

The pan was very clean. If there was some microscopic dust on there, that would not account for the size of these contaminates left on the pan. Some of them were big enough to roll around with my fingers.

Yea 14K is odd, but thats because I do 5K interval changes. I do my own in between BMW's, and the last one they did at around 9K miles instead of the regular 10 because I was in there for inspection anyway and just let them do it. So I did my next one in between 14 and 15K miles to even it out a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #20
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Get magnetic oil drain plug... That will tell for sure next time you change your oil.
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #21
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i M Sport

Any update? About lab results, I mean...
Appreciate 0