F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Can you Adjust Caster Angle on a F36 BMW 2015?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Question Can you Adjust Caster Angle on a F36 BMW 2015?

My car still in the shop after 3 days for an alignment and a tech just told me that they can't adjust caster angle on these cars?

Is this true? OR Am I being misinformed??
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

That would seriously be weird if true. Im not positive but i cant imagine a scenario where that value is not adjustable.
      09-14-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Most McPherson strut systems are fixed in castor. Camber is easy enough to adjust.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
This may be true - the caster angle on the front suspension might not be adjustable, but if so, why would they want to adjust it? If there's a defect and they don't meet factory specs, they may need to replace the struts. Generally speaking, the usual adjustments are for camber and toe, not caster.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
My car still in the shop after 3 days for an alignment and a tech just told me that they can't adjust caster angle on these cars?
Whatever adjustments are available or not available wouldn't come as a surprise to a BMW tech, and there would be no reason to mention it to you. Plus, an alignment shouldn't take more than a couple of hours tops. That begs the question: Who is doing this? Your dealer?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Whatever adjustments are available or not available wouldn't come as a surprise to a BMW tech, and there would be no reason to mention it to you. Plus, an alignment shouldn't take more than a couple of hours tops. That begs the question: Who is doing this? Your dealer?
Yes this is the dealer. It is better now, but not perfect, the steering wheel is ever so slightly crooked when going straight. At least it isn't pulling anymore.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

They gave me a printout of the Alignment before and after, if anyone is interested in seeing?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
This may be true - the caster angle on the front suspension might not be adjustable, but if so, why would they want to adjust it? If there's a defect and they don't meet factory specs, they may need to replace the struts. Generally speaking, the usual adjustments are for camber and toe, not caster.
Ok, thank you for the Info. It is not pulling any more, but testing it yesterday, there is a whole lot more understeer, the car does not seem very nimble anymore? These are my current alignment specs, does anything look wrong to you guys? This is so frustrating. you will see that the description for the vehicle is f32 instead of f36, are the alignments specs the same?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
First thing that jumps out is that there's no factory spec for caster, which shows that it's non-adjustable. Secondly, your right front camber is double that of the left front, although we're talking "minutes" instead of "degrees", and both are within spec. They reduced your front camber overall, and your original toe settings were way off. Fixing the toe likely cured your pulling to one side; reducing your front camber may have a slight effect on understeer, but I'm curious as to why there's so much difference between right and left sides. The more negative camber, the less initial understeer; they increased your right-side and decreased your left.

Your GC is essentially the same as a 4-series coupe with an extra set of doors and a hatchback, which does increase the vehicle's weight, and I'd think that would also mean slightly different alignment settings, but that's just speculation. Also - note that it also says "standard suspension", which isn't true for the M-Sport model with DHP. I personally would get a second opinion from another alignment shop.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
First thing that jumps out is that there's no factory spec for caster, which shows that it's non-adjustable. Secondly, your right front camber is double that of the left front, although we're talking "minutes" instead of "degrees", and both are within spec. They reduced your front camber overall, and your original toe settings were way off. Fixing the toe likely cured your pulling to one side; reducing your front camber may have a slight effect on understeer, but I'm curious as to why there's so much difference between right and left sides. The more negative camber, the less initial understeer; they increased your right-side and decreased your left.

Your GC is essentially the same as a 4-series coupe with an extra set of doors and a hatchback, which does increase the vehicle's weight, and I'd think that would also mean slightly different alignment settings, but that's just speculation. Also - note that it also says "standard suspension", which isn't true for the M-Sport model with DHP. I personally would get a second opinion from another alignment shop.
First of all Roundel, thank you so much for your reply, thank you so much for taking your time to comment. I did not notice that the Right Camber is double that of the Left, Thank you for pointing this out to me wow. I am an alignment noob, but I am learning. Will Adjusting the Camber affect the straight ahead tracking (don't want the vehicle to pull again)?

I also noticed the standard suspension description vs. the adaptive thing . When I first need alignment, the BMW Dealership told me that they were getting a BRAND New Alignment Machine, and that they didn't have the "specs" for my vehicle as yet. So I waited, a few months and they said that they had the specs, so I took it in. Maybe they still don't?

I will try to search around and see if anyone else has a computerised Alignment machine here that can align the 4GC. Jamaica being so small we have very limited access to quality service locations.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #11
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Installing oem M4 LCA's increases castor as well as camber.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
First of all Roundel, thank you so much for your reply, thank you so much for taking your time to comment. I did not notice that the Right Camber is double that of the Left, Thank you for pointing this out to me wow. I am an alignment noob, but I am learning. Will Adjusting the Camber affect the straight ahead tracking (don't want the vehicle to pull again)?

I also noticed the standard suspension description vs. the adaptive thing . When I first need alignment, the BMW Dealership told me that they were getting a BRAND New Alignment Machine, and that they didn't have the "specs" for my vehicle as yet. So I waited, a few months and they said that they had the specs, so I took it in. Maybe they still don't?

I will try to search around and see if anyone else has a computerised Alignment machine here that can align the 4GC. Jamaica being so small we have very limited access to quality service locations.
You're welcome! Toe-in is the adjustment that will affect straight-line tracking the most. There are also cases where the tires take a "set" after initial break-in and cause a mild pull to one side or the other; only way to cure that is to move the tires from one side to another, but with our uni-directional tires, that requires mounting/dismounting. I doubt that applies to you, though.

Based on what you say above, it does sound like your Delaership has not got things right yet, and it is unfortunate that your location precludes just going to another shop nearby. I think the biggest thing to be concerned about, outside the way they "re-aligned" your car overall is that the program they used was for an F32 coupe with "standard" suspension rather than your F36 with dynamic handling package (DHP). I'd have them look into that, and if they don't in fact have the specs for ALL models of the F-series, they need to obtain them so they don't continue to mis-align customer's cars.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome! Toe-in is the adjustment that will affect straight-line tracking the most. There are also cases where the tires take a "set" after initial break-in and cause a mild pull to one side or the other; only way to cure that is to move the tires from one side to another, but with our uni-directional tires, that requires mounting/dismounting. I doubt that applies to you, though.

Based on what you say above, it does sound like your Delaership has not got things right yet, and it is unfortunate that your location precludes just going to another shop nearby. I think the biggest thing to be concerned about, outside the way they "re-aligned" your car overall is that the program they used was for an F32 coupe with "standard" suspension rather than your F36 with dynamic handling package (DHP). I'd have them look into that, and if they don't in fact have the specs for ALL models of the F-series, they need to obtain them so they don't continue to mis-align customer's cars.
Yeah its pretty disturbing to say the least. Also, the first time I took the car in for the Alignment, my Gas Tank was almost empty, and they gave it back to me almost empty and said the alignment was complete (this was the first time when it still pulled), while I was driving with the head tech diagnosing the problem, he told me that all Alignments are done on these vehicles with a Full tank of Gas for the Weight distribution. But yet they did not put any gas in the vehicle?

If I go back to them for this problem, I will suggest the Camber change as you pointed out, but importantly insist on the right Program being used IF they even have it!

Does the Alignment Machine actually write code to the Car? I wonder if they could have messed up my programming that's why the car steering feels so different?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Yeah its pretty disturbing to say the least. Also, the first time I took the car in for the Alignment, my Gas Tank was almost empty, and they gave it back to me almost empty and said the alignment was complete (this was the first time when it still pulled), while I was driving with the head tech diagnosing the problem, he told me that all Alignments are done on these vehicles with a Full tank of Gas for the Weight distribution. But yet they did not put any gas in the vehicle?

If I go back to them for this problem, I will suggest the Camber change as you pointed out, but importantly insist on the right Program being used IF they even have it!

Does the Alignment Machine actually write code to the Car? I wonder if they could have messed up my programming that's why the car steering feels so different?
No, there's no connection to the OBDII port when getting a 4-wheel alignment. That's not to say that there was a software update applied separately, though. If so, they would have indicated that on your paperwork.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of tires do you have on your car - are you still on runflats or have you changed to non-runflats yet?

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
No, there's no connection to the OBDII port when getting a 4-wheel alignment. That's not to say that there was a software update applied separately, though. If so, they would have indicated that on your paperwork.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of tires do you have on your car - are you still on runflats or have you changed to non-runflats yet?
Yeah no indication on software upgrading. I have Run-flat Bridgestones the OEM Tyres that came with the vehicle, I only also have around 5,000 miles on the car.

Are you sure there is no OBD port connection when doing the alignment? I could have sworn that with the Hunter machines they have to hook up something called "Code-Link" to the vehicle? I could be wrong though?

Did some tests on the vehicle, everything seems to be good with straight ahead tracking, but turning the steering wheel takes a bit more effort than usual, and coming out a corner the steering wheel doesn't want to re-center without having to actually steer it back.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Yeah no indication on software upgrading. I have Run-flat Bridgestones the OEM Tyres that came with the vehicle, I only also have around 5,000 miles on the car.

Are you sure there is no OBD port connection when doing the alignment? I could have sworn that with the Hunter machines they have to hook up something called "Code-Link" to the vehicle? I could be wrong though?

Did some tests on the vehicle, everything seems to be good with straight ahead tracking, but turning the steering wheel takes a bit more effort than usual, and coming out a corner the steering wheel doesn't want to re-center without having to actually steer it back.
There may be a connection to the OBDII port, although I can't imagine what it'd be for - probably not altering any of the car's settings, though. If your steering won't re-center automatically, there's still something definitely wrong. I'd get a second opinion/analysis of the problem. My 2013 has never had any alignment problems before or after ditching the runflats.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
There may be a connection to the OBDII port, although I can't imagine what it'd be for - probably not altering any of the car's settings, though. If your steering won't re-center automatically, there's still something definitely wrong. I'd get a second opinion/analysis of the problem. My 2013 has never had any alignment problems before or after ditching the runflats.
Ok, thanks Roundel. Somehow the steering seems to be getting better, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. How much road vibration are you supposed to feel through the steering wheel?

Also, was it night and day switching to regular tyres, and what do you do for a spare?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Ok, thanks Roundel. Somehow the steering seems to be getting better, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. How much road vibration are you supposed to feel through the steering wheel?

Also, was it night and day switching to regular tyres, and what do you do for a spare?
That's a good question - I don't feel any "vibration" from mine, but I do feel some of the road irregularities. If you're experiencing some vibration - get that checked. If not, the new electronically-assisted power steering, which uses an electric motor instead of hydraulic pressure to provide some steering boost, has been accused of feeling "numb". I had a 2007 E92 and my 2013 F30's steering really doesn't feel that much different - except for the "variable assist" provided by the different driving modes.

Appreciate 0