BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lots of them

Key Programing?

Gents,

I purchased a replacement key, both the manual key and the actual comfort access unit.

The local dealer is telling me they need to program it for me, something like $150 for the process.

However, the dealer I purchased the car from (2k miles away) is telling me I can program the key myself.

Any input?

Thanks!
Adam
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed1 View Post
Gents,

I purchased a replacement key, both the manual key and the actual comfort access unit.

The local dealer is telling me they need to program it for me, something like $150 for the process.

However, the dealer I purchased the car from (2k miles away) is telling me I can program the key myself.

Any input?

Thanks!
Adam
There are quite a few threads on a number of boards about how to program those comfort access keys; I thought I would have to do it myself since I thought my 135i was only coming with one key, but then the dealer found the 2nd, so I was searching those threads. It is the same process across a number of different BMW series sharing the same sort of electronics.

Do a google search on programming a BMW comfort access key, and you will find how; it looked very easy and like it would take <5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
There are quite a few threads on a number of boards about how to program those comfort access keys; I thought I would have to do it myself since I thought my 135i was only coming with one key, but then the dealer found the 2nd, so I was searching those threads. It is the same process across a number of different BMW series sharing the same sort of electronics.

Do a google search on programming a BMW comfort access key, and you will find how; it looked very easy and like it would take <5 minutes.
Thanks for the response. Not knowing if the BMW 1m was unique regarding the key I figured I'd ask.

Adam
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Not knowing if the BMW 1m was unique regarding the key I figured I'd ask.

Adam
Well, I haven't seen a thread specifically on Comfort Access Keys in 1Ms, but all the threads I have seen use more or less the same programming technique, so I'd assume they are all very similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Gents,

Any input?

Thanks!
Adam
All (equal model years) of E8X 1-series (incl 1M) en E9X 3-series are 99.9% equal wrt electronics. Other E6X, E7X and even F series have a lot of re-use as you would expect.

Googled it, and found a procedure that is so simple that it's worth trying: Simple DIY Comfort Access Key handshake procedure

Let us know if it worked for you.

Last edited by eeghie; 09-12-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
All (equal model years) of E8X 1-series (incl 1M) en E9X 3-series are 99.9% equal wrt electronics. Other E6X, E7X and even F series have a lot of re-use as you would expect.

Googled it, and found a procedure that is so simple that it's worth trying: Simple DIY Smart Access Key handshake procedure

Let us know if it worked for you.
to get comfort access to work you need to delete the old key out of system first. can only be done by coding or with an isid test plan. you are only allowed 2 keys for comfort access at any time.
the new key will start the car the once you slide it in the keyholder. But other functions wont work unless you delete previous lost key.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
to get comfort access to work you need to delete the old key out of system first. can only be done by coding or with an isid test plan. you are only allowed 2 keys for comfort access at any time.
the new key will start the car the once you slide it in the keyholder. But other functions wont work unless you delete previous lost key.
^^Only IF you had the security update done(by a dealer) since you bought your (1M)car(for cars built before Sept/2011). AND you had to ask for it. Otherwise... anyone can ad extra key fobs as posted in the DIY link above.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep

As is sometimes the case, most of the info online is missing key details.

As mentioned, the new key will start the car, as found in the above listed link.

Also, as mentioned here, but no where else, the comfort access does not work... I guess that's what the dealer wants $150 to program...

The new key works, but the seat, radio, nav and all other settings reset every time I use the key. I guess that's not an issue for a backup key.

Adam
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

Quote:
As is sometimes the case, most of the info online is missing key details.

As mentioned, the new key will start the car, as found in the above listed link.

Also, as mentioned here, but no where else, the comfort access does not work... I guess that's what the dealer wants $150 to program...

The new key works, but the seat, radio, nav and all other settings reset every time I use the key. I guess that's not an issue for a backup key.

Adam
Bingo!
Appreciate 0