F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......
ARMA SPEED

09-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......

Wanted to pass along some good information on Dinan's shockware EDC reprogramming for those with the DHP package who are considering Shockware as a possible solution to alter the damping characteristics of the F series vehicles.

I first called a couple of local Dinan dealers in the Carolinas, but, candidly, they didn't have a lot of good information to share. They knew about Shockware in general and the procedure to have it installed, but, didn't have much specific information. As such, I decided to call Dinan directly and speak with someone there. Prior to calling Dinan, I jotted down some specific questions that I was seeking answers to. This list of questions was developed post my review of all of the available discussion on Shockware within the F30post and Bimmerfest forums. I even did some research on the shockware experience of folks within the F10 community.

Q. The stock EDC system is comprised of two damping modes....eco pro/comfort and sport/sport+. Does Dinan Shockware (referred to as "S-ware" for short, going forward) create a 3rd damping mode?

A. No. two modes only. Eco pro & comfort will share the same REVISED damping profile and Sport & Sport+ will share the same REVISED profile. Some folks have said that EcoPro provides the stock bmw "comfort" setting, post the S-ware reprogram. Per Dinan this is not correct.

Q. The Dinan website description is very generic and makes reference to things like "normal" mode, which really aren't applicable to the F30. That being said, does S-ware (a) "move" the stock Sport/Sport+ damping program to the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting and then create a new Dinan specific damping profile for the stock Sport/Sport+ setting; OR (b) is the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort also a customized dinan specific program?

A. (a)……..the S-ware moves the stock Sport/Sport+ damping program to the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting i.e. it does NOT create a customized damping profile for the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting.

The takeaway from this is that comments on the forums such as "the revised S-ware comfort setting is somewhere between the stock BMW EcoPro/Comfort setting and the stock BMW sport setting" is not correct, per Dinan. The S-ware EcoPro/Comfort setting IS the stock BMW Sport/Sport+ setting.

Q. The stock BMW EDC programming is adaptive in nature i.e. the dampers are continuously adjusting based on sensory inputs throughout the vehicle. Does the S-ware program retain this “adaptive” nature or does the damping program become a 2 setting “static” affair?

A. The adaptive nature of the EDC program is retained post S-ware. The dampers will adjust based on road characteristics and sensory inputs.

Q. Is the stock DME program modified in any way as a result of S-ware?

A. No, the DME program is not touched. The S-ware is a direct reprogram of the Vertical Dynamics Management (VDM) control unit only. The VDM controls the damper valving. This is why the suggested installation time is a half hour only…..there is no DME programming involved.

Page 38 of the "BMW F30 Chassis Dynamics" technical write-up (google it for a PDF) goes into greater detail about the EDC system and the VDM…..if you care to learn more. (my comment, not dinan)

Q. Does S-ware alter the EPS (electric power steering) system?

A. No S-ware does not impact EPS in any way.

I am personally not interested in changing the stock springs, so I didn’t delve heavily into the merits of going with Dinan springs. The comments made by the Dinan rep in this regard were two fold (i) the stock cars are quite under damped, and (ii) while the S-ware is designed to work in conjunction with the dinan springs, folks have seen excellent results with just the EDC reprogram.

I hope this helps folks as they make their decision around this product.

Last edited by EvenKeel; 09-12-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 5
      09-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Count me as disappointed that they modify "Comfort." I specifically got DHP for the convenience and flexibility of having different modes. I think there's already not enough contrast between the modes from a damping standpoint. I'm not interested in making Comfort mode even more aggressive. I want Comfort to remain "comfort" and would prefer Sport to be more aggressive.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
RootCanal05
Clutch Rider
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport

I tried to get Shockware installed twice on my 2015 335 but the car would constantly throw a code. The only fix was to reprogram the entire car to stock. At least I got the latest iDrive maps.
      09-13-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Count me as disappointed that they modify "Comfort." I specifically got DHP for the convenience and flexibility of having different modes. I think there's already not enough contrast between the modes from a damping standpoint. I'm not interested in making Comfort mode even more aggressive. I want Comfort to remain "comfort" and would prefer Sport to be more aggressive.
Comfort is still Comfortable after Shockware, just more planted - less bouncy. It still soaks up road imperfections.

Sport feels super planted. You feel every bump in the road.

I love it. Wish I had done it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootCanal05 View Post
I tried to get Shockware installed twice on my 2015 335 but the car would constantly throw a code. The only fix was to reprogram the entire car to stock. At least I got the latest iDrive maps.
I heard about this too when I previously inquired on it.

I was warned that some cars would reject the Shockware, but there was no way to know why or if it would, until the install was done. They said that all the cars that Dinan have received in their own shop have never rejected the Shockware, so there's nothing they can do to investigate further at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I did both springs and shockware. Comfort is not so comfort, but less stiff than Sport. Overall, it's very awesome. I push the crap out of it in tight canyons and she is flat. Maybe just the Shockware was needed, but I'm sure the springs are stiffer.

So after driving an E46 M3 for 6 years, it is pretty damn close.
      09-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Thanks for sharing this information. I am a big fan of Shockware. I had it done a few months ago and it really transformed the car; that's the best way to put it.

Its great that you got specific feedback from Dinan. I emailed them too and got information is a bit different than the information in your post. Here is an excerpt from the email I received from Dinan:

"Glad you are enjoying the Shockware upgrade. It's an upgrade that is so cost effective I am surprised it is not more widely done. It transforms these "floaty" stock vehicles so quickly/cheaply its really hard to fathom until you experience it.

The simplest and easy way to explain Shockware is all the suspension modes are essentially ramped up to the next level. The highest level (whether it be sport or sport+ on that particular vehicle) would become the "new" Dinan mode.

To answer the questions specifically:
1.) Yes, Eco mode is also affected although its pretty minimal. In my experience the largest differences have always been in the sport/sport+.
2.) Sport and Sport + are different settings. If the car has both then sport essentially adopts factory sport+ settings and sport+ adopts the new "dinan" settings.
3.) Since the dampeners are firmed up with the Shockware programming by default there is some reduction in body roll. Nothing like a sway bar or something would provide but it is a byproduct of the stiffer dampening.

In regards to the steering stiffness it would require full access to the factory ECU which is not easily accessable at present so its a product that really has no practical feasibility currently."

You can see that the response I got was that there is a difference between Sport and Sport +.

It would be great to get a clarification. Do you want to contact your person and share the info I received from the Marketing Director.

Regardless the different answers we received from Dinan, Shockware IMO is the bet 500 you can spend. If an F3x owner has DHP and is unhappy with the floaty, Buick-like ride of Comfort mode, Shockware is the answer. Sport mode now amazing. I cannot personally tell if Sport+ is yet another notch up or not. I am a totally happy camper with Shockware.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 03:55 AM   #8
arenbesu
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

The only fix was to reprogram the entire car to stock.
      09-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Love my Dinan Shockware, although no......the difference is not night and day under normal driving. When you press the car you will notice a difference though it is minor. I am sure with springs the transformation would be complete. But alas.......they do not have springs for the F31. A sad oversight to be sure, but understandable I suppose.

Good info on the software as I have always heard people say that Eco uses a different profile. I never really use it so didn't care much myself, but it's good info to have confirmed that Eco/Comfort is the same, and it's just the factory SPORT profile they move into it. Would be nice if they figured out a way to move the factory COMFORT to the Eco setting and run 3 options though.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #10
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

Thanks for the info. Now I gotta wonder what is the main difference if the new comfort mode is the old sport mode? Why wouldn't I just drive in spot mode at present all the time on the street? Then again if I do track my car the new sport mode probably would be more beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
cleaver
Private
Rep
Drives: white F31 328xi

Thumper333, I'm actually surprised you like the Shockware on your F31. I tried it on my F31 and thought it was a waste of money and had it removed (and refunded). I want a stiff suspension, but it just wasn't stiff enough. For example, in Dinan's Sport+ the rear end oscillated more over a speed bump than in factory Sport. After all the rave reviews I came to the conclusion Shockware was designed for the sedans which are 200 lbs lighter. Glad you like it though.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

I would really appreciate if someone from DINAN could please reply to my thread and corroborate my findings on Sware or provide any additional color for potential customers. I've seen DINAN post from time to time and it would be helpful if a rep could weigh in on a dedicated product discussion thread.

Such feedback would be particularly helpful as others seem to have received product related info from DINAN that conflicts with the information I have received (see post #7, above).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
I would really appreciate if someone from DINAN could please reply to my thread and corroborate my findings on Sware or provide any additional color for potential customers. I've seen DINAN post from time to time and it would be helpful if a rep could weigh in on a dedicated product discussion thread.

Such feedback would be particularly helpful as others seem to have received product related info from DINAN that conflicts with the information I have received (see post #7, above).
Your original post is pretty spot on. I will note that shockware comes in many flavors and they do vary a bit from model to model.

The couple things I will note is that there is only 2 damping modes on a non-M "small" cars (as you noted eco/comfort and sport/sport+) but there are 3 damping modes on the M cars and the V8's (eco/comfort, sport, and sport+). The verbiage on the site is more geared towards the V8 since that is what the shockware was initially designed on (550i). That would probably explain the discrepancy in post 7 and the difference in sport/sport+ that was referenced there.

The most common way of describing shockware and the easiest to convey simply is that we are eliminating the lowest dampening mode, shifting sport/sport+ down to what comfort was, and creating a new Dinan mode thats even stiffer. While illustrating the point pretty closely it may be more accurate to just say that all damping modes and their associated compression and rebounds are just increased by roughly 15% over the stock rates. Another way to say the same thing but perhaps that is more beneficial way of viewing it to some.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      09-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:

Your original post is pretty spot on. I will note that shockware comes in many flavors and they do vary a bit from model to model.

The couple things I will note is that there is only 2 damping modes on a non-M "small" cars (as you noted eco/comfort and sport/sport+) but there are 3 damping modes on the M cars and the V8's (eco/comfort, sport, and sport+). The verbiage on the site is more geared towards the V8 since that is what the shockware was initially designed on (550i). That would probably explain the discrepancy in post 7 and the difference in sport/sport+ that was referenced there.

The most common way of describing shockware and the easiest to convey simply is that we are eliminating the lowest dampening mode, shifting sport/sport+ down to what comfort was, and creating a new Dinan mode thats even stiffer. While illustrating the point pretty closely it may be more accurate to just say that all damping modes and their associated compression and rebounds are just increased by roughly 15% over the stock rates. Another way to say the same thing but perhaps that is more beneficial way of viewing it to some.
Thank you for weighing in; it is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #15
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:

For what it's worth; I think you guys would see a lot more uptake on this product for the smaller non-M cars if there was a way to retain the stock Eco pro/comfort setting; while introducing a revised Sport & Sport+. Perhaps the VDM controller in the F series is "2 stage" only i.e. it doesn't allow for a 3rd algorithm profile?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
For what it's worth; I think you guys would see a lot more uptake on this product for the smaller non-M cars if there was a way to retain the stock Eco pro/comfort setting; while introducing a revised Sport & Sport+. Perhaps the VDM controller in the F series is "2 stage" only i.e. it doesn't allow for a 3rd algorithm profile?
I'm opposite, I want it to be firmer with the eco setting, because I don't mind driving in that mode, but I just want the car to react well around corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #17
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Well, after a lot of mental wrestling and research, I decided to take the plunge on Sware today. Drove down to the closest Dinan dealer (about 1.5 hrs away) and waited while they did the install.

What’s the verdict?.......I really do like it. Here’s the primary reason why:

I’m probably well in the minority on this one -- I’ve always preferred the comfort steering to the Sport steering.
To me, the Sport Steering has never offered any additional feedback or accuracy; just increased heft (which I don’t care for). What Sware has given me, is the Comfort Steering with the Sport dampers…….something I’ve absolutely craved for on this vehicle for very long time (I even have a dedicated thread on this topic somewhere). It’s a personal preference thing for me. You may feel differently, and that’s your prerogative.

I can confirm that the new EcoPro/Comfort setting is akin to the stock sport damping. It is devoid of any float and body motions are significantly better controlled than under the stock Comfort/EcoPro. I was very hesitant to take the plunge on Sware; for fear of losing my plush stock Comfort/EcoPro ride. I no longer feel this way, simply because having the comfort steering with the sport dampers, FOR ME, works beautifully. The vehicle is very composed and the ease of steering with the stock comfort EPS setting just makes the whole affair very composed and comfortable.

There hasn’t been a lot of talk about the Dinan specific damping profile, so let me try and provide my $0.02. Its firm, but not crashy. I think this profile would be great for smooth surfaces and I’m sure would be wonderful in the canyons and on fast sweepers. Would I be happy if this was the only damping profile available? No. Its firm…..too firm for me to daily. It definitely has its place though and increases the overall excitement of the driving experience, when used at the appropriate time.

I should add that I’m riding on the stock Bridgestone Summer RFTs on 19” 403M wheels.

To me, Sware is superb in terms of bang for the buck. I don’t feel the need to invest in the Dinan springs. I daily this vehicle and my objective has been incremental gains without sacrificing daily driveability and overall engineering that goes into these vehicles.

Final point – would having the stock comfort/ecopro as a 3rd setting be a nice option? Yes, I think so, simply because it offers another alternative. However, the only time I would use the stock setting is if I’m cruising, steady state, on the highway with passengers on a long journey and would like to offer them maximum comfort. Otherwise, I would use the Dinan reprogrammed Comfort/EcoPro setting at all other times. Once you get used to having eliminated the float and rebound bounce in the stock Comfort/EcoPro setting, it’s hard to go back to it.

I hope this helps. Any additional questions? Please ask.
Appreciate 3
exE36M3487.50
      09-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I've loved Dinan Shockwave from day one. Any adaptive BMW I get in the future will have it (M or non-M). Coming from an E92, the stock dampening settings in the F32 were to soft and I felt very underwhelmed. With the addition of Shockwave, I feel like I have my KW coilovers back at times.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #19
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Q. The Dinan website description is very generic and makes reference to things like "normal" mode, which really aren't applicable to the F30. That being said, does S-ware (a) "move" the stock Sport/Sport+ damping program to the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting and then create a new Dinan specific damping profile for the stock Sport/Sport+ setting; OR (b) is the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort also a customized dinan specific program?

A. (a)……..the S-ware moves the stock Sport/Sport+ damping program to the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting i.e. it does NOT create a customized damping profile for the REVISED EcoPro/Comfort setting.

The takeaway from this is that comments on the forums such as "the revised S-ware comfort setting is somewhere between the stock BMW EcoPro/Comfort setting and the stock BMW sport setting" is not correct, per Dinan. The S-ware EcoPro/Comfort setting IS the stock BMW Sport/Sport+ setting.
Thanks for sharing this information. I have an appointment to get shockware installed on Monday and had roughly the same questions about the system that I had been trying to unearth.

I am disappointed to find out that the Shockware Normal/Comfort setting is just the standard BMW stock Sport damping settings. Yes, Comfort has too much bounce but I still use it a lot of the time due to the really crappy roads around DFW. I had hoped from the reviews saying Comfort was now usable and still softer than stock Sport, that Dinan was giving us 2 customized settings with their secret sauce.

2012 F30 335i 6MT - Imperial Blue w/Everest Gray: Sport, Adaptive M, Premium, Tech & Parking Pkgs, Assist, Apps
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I personally believe that Shockware's "comfort" mode is a bit smoother than BMW's stock sport mode. Even with that said, however, I still believe that one should drive around with the suspension in sport mode for a week or two before pulling the trigger. If you find the stock sport mode to be unpleasantly firm, there's a decent chance that you won't like Shockware.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #21
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
I personally believe that Shockware's "comfort" mode is a bit smoother than BMW's stock sport mode. Even with that said, however, I still believe that one should drive around with the suspension in sport mode for a week or two before pulling the trigger. If you find the stock sport mode to be unpleasantly firm, there's a decent chance that you won't like Shockware.
I am absolutely certain Shockware provided two new damping maps/programs in my car. My condo complex has speed bumps that drive over every day and in this scenario it is very easy to tell the difference between OEM and Dinan damping maps.

I did drive with SPORT on for quite a while to be sure I'd find Dinan's COMFORT acceptable for long trips. After Shockware was installed I was pleasantly surprised to find Dinan's COMFORT mode is better than the stock SPORT damping. Both better chassis control and slightly more comfortable ride. I'd go so far to say the front/rear damping ratio is different than OEM too. Shockware isn't just 'xx% stiffer all around;' it is something like xx% stiffer up front and yy% stiffer in the rear.
      09-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #22
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
I am absolutely certain Shockware provided two new damping maps/programs in my car. My condo complex has speed bumps that drive over every day and in this scenario it is very easy to tell the difference between OEM and Dinan damping maps.

I did drive with SPORT on for quite a while to be sure I'd find Dinan's COMFORT acceptable for long trips. After Shockware was installed I was pleasantly surprised to find Dinan's COMFORT mode is better than the stock SPORT damping. Both better chassis control and slightly more comfortable ride. I'd go so far to say the front/rear damping ratio is different than OEM too. Shockware isn't just 'xx% stiffer all around;' it is something like xx% stiffer up front and yy% stiffer in the rear.
See the post above directly from Dinan.

The whole premise behind this thread was to obtain clarity on exactly what the product offers; rather than a "butt dyno" (or in this case a "butt chassis dyno") assessment.

Please also keep in mind that these are adaptive dampers i.e. they are constantly changing based on sensory input. I do think the new comfort setting is a remap of the stock sport setting; as Dinan has corroborated. The additional compliance you may be feeling is probably a byproduct of the adaptive algorithm.

I think the Dinan rep hit the nail on the head when he said about a 15% increase in damping in each mode.

I do think people should not discount the fact that a lot of the sensory input that one feels when in comfort mode also comes from the greater degree of electric assist from the power steering system. This does not change with shockware.

I've had shockware for about a week now and am totally sold (I'd even go as far as to say I love it). This is coming from someone who was really apprehensive about losing his plush ride quality.

I'd also like to provide a bit more feedback on the Dinan Sport/Sport+ setting:

My initial impression was that it might be too firm and unusable. Having spent a lot more time with it; I can confirm that my assessment was wrong. While I wouldn't want to be confined to this setting permanently, I genuinely feel it is a lot more useable than I had originally anticipated. Not to mention; it's a ton of fun on twisty roads!

For those that are apprehensive about taking the plunge; I'll say this......Sware does not dramatically alter the ride characteristics of your vehicle, rather, it provides a very positive improvement, particularly in eliminating "float".

Again, the 15% characterization is spot on -- it's not a huge change, but, it's more than enough to appreciate the engineering that's gone into it.
Appreciate 0