F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > A little confused about my brake options.
proTUNING Freaks

09-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
epistax
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 IX GC

A little confused about my brake options.

I have a 435 GC Sport (~10k miles) with stock brakes. They do perform decently well, but over the summer I was stuck in a brand new (~2k miles) Ford Taurus rental and I was astonished at how much better the brakes performed. I don't think it was all due to the slightly lower miles. While my brakes don't seem to ever fail me, they do generate an incredibly shrill cry when damp. It's so astonishingly loud I fear I wake the neighborhood in the cool autumn mornings. I just had my car serviced and (naturally) they didn't see any problems.

One of my regrets when I ordered my car was not getting the M brake package. I didn't get it because I just saw it as a $650 upgrade for blue calipers. I didn't think there was a rotor difference or much of one for my 435 (though there would be for the 428). It appears that after purchase that ship has sailed.

Enter the M Performance Big Brake Kit. For $1813+install I can get brakes that scream better performance--but they better not scream "Attention world: wake up. I'm damp.". Unfortunately blue is not an option (which color would look best on a imperial blue metallic? red, yellow, or orange).

Can anyone speak to the relative performance of the big brake kit and stock on a *35? Are there other options I might want to consider? Painting the existing calipers certainly wouldn't fix the squeal or provide better braking power.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I suppose it could be the compound of the low dust pads used on the non MSport models. Have you driven another similar car to compare the brake performance?

The MPerformance brake kit will introduce you to new sounds. The slotted discs cause some noises you probably wouldn't expect to hear. Some are not bothered by it. However, the MPerformance brakes likely won't provide any better brake performance. the advantage of those brakes are less fade and good looks.
      09-13-2015, 04:12 AM   #3
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistax View Post
Enter the M Performance Big Brake Kit. For $1813+install I can get brakes that scream better performance--but they better not scream "Attention world: wake up. I'm damp.". Unfortunately blue is not an option (which color would look best on a imperial blue metallic? red, yellow, or orange).
Yellow
It's more like gold, not a satured yellow. Looks great with blue metallic
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=686668

1. There are many threads about possible brake pads for better initial bite on the stock brakes. To give it a try with some other pads is the cheapest option you have.

2. I love my M Perfomance Brakes. But have no comparison to the stock brakes as I had them installed when the car was new.
Try to find a dealer who can offer you a test ride on a car with those installed. A 435i or 335i with M Sport brakes option will do it too. M Sport Brake on those models have the same rotor size as the M Performance Brake. Only difference is the dimpled and slotted rotor, that comes with the M Performance Brakes. (428i M Sport Brake would have smaller front rotor, so you need 435i or 335i for 1:1 comparison)

As mentioned by claykin the dimpled and slotted rotor make some noise while normal driving. Find out if you could live with that fact!

With the large brake rotor size you will need 18" wheels (also in winter!), and not all aftermarket 18" wheels will fit.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
epistax
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 IX GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Yellow
It's more like gold, not a satured yellow. Looks great with blue metallic
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=686668

1. There are many threads about possible brake pads for better initial bite on the stock brakes. To give it a try with some other pads is the cheapest option you have.

2. I love my M Perfomance Brakes. But have no comparison to the stock brakes as I had them installed when the car was new.
Try to find a dealer who can offer you a test ride on a car with those installed. A 435i or 335i with M Sport brakes option will do it too. M Sport Brake on those models have the same rotor size as the M Performance Brake. Only difference is the dimpled and slotted rotor, that comes with the M Performance Brakes. (428i M Sport Brake would have smaller front rotor, so you need 435i or 335i for 1:1 comparison)

As mentioned by claykin the dimpled and slotted rotor make some noise while normal driving. Find out if you could live with that fact!

With the large brake rotor size you will need 18" wheels (also in winter!), and not all aftermarket 18" wheels will fit.
Thanks. That yellow does look nice. Good idea on the test drive. Also good to know on pads. I've kind of just assumed that pads were an interchangeable commodity (I'm not a brake guy!) but if there are good differences I should check out that avenue too.

I'm running the stock 18s now for summer and winter. My plan is to get 19s for summer once I make it through the P7s.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

My $.02:

I have the M-Sport brake upgrade on our 435, they're a little noisy, especially when not up to operating temperature but I'm OK with that. They perform as they should IMHO. I will upgrade the fluid at some point in the near future just to try to get a little bit stiffer pedal.

Your easiest and cheapest option would be to try different compound pads to eliminate the noise but it's usually a trade-off in either dust or performance or wear.

If you love your car and like the looks, get the M-Performance brake kit and see where that gets you. You've been warned though, this may just move the target for you and introduce other "issues".

Have fun.

Last edited by G30 B58; 09-13-2015 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
tesm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

I've been driving with m performance brake for 6 months now. The rotors are noisy and not much initial bite if that's what you're looking for. Overall performance seems okay. I couldn't thoroughly compare it with my stock brakes since I had the m perf installed not too long after I took the delivery. M sport brake (blue caliper) euro pad may increase the performance as I was told.

A gentleman on z4 forum had the m perf caliper installed with an aftermarket rotors. Seems like a decent set up.
Appreciate 0