E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Bentley vs Suffolk

09-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Jking2014
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Bentley vs Suffolk

Curious to whether you guys have any advice on these to schools. I'm a junior at Bentley University currently. It's my first week here. I transferred from Suffolk University after 2 years. I'm contemplating whether to continue here at Bentley or should I go back to Suffolk. Main factor is COST! Bentley will cost 100k for two years while Suffolk will cost 40k for two years. I'm just wondering is the extra 60k worth it? Will my degree from Bentley set me up with a better job than Suffolk? I get good grades and can definitely graduate from Bentley with over a 3.7 as my GPA resets here. I am smart and can put the partying on the low for two years to focus on school. I have until Monday to decide as that's when they will give me back 100% of my tuition back. Thanks guys, any input is appreciated!

Update: Ended up staying at Suffolk. Not worth the extra cash. Rather put it towards grad school.

Last edited by Jking2014; 02-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
jor2cool4u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 2 feet

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 M240i xDrive  [0.00]
isn't Suffolk going bankrupt? if so, your degree would be less valuable if the school wasn't around any longer
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Jking2014
Private
Rep

I know they're over 300 million in debt but that would be pretty fucked if they went bankrupt.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
jor2cool4u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 2 feet

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 M240i xDrive  [0.00]
idk I just finished my graduate degree at NEU and the advisors there said suffolk could be going bankrupt if they don't do something soon
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
No offense to the OP but aside from the Suffolk Law school, Suffolk is seen as a college for kids who were dumb in high school and couldn't get into a good school but still wanted to go to college and live in the city.

Bentley on the otherhand is a pretty highley regard business school and well respected.

As far as the cost difference, if you plan on working in boston people will have heard of suffolk so you should be able to get a job. If you plan on moving and working anywhere outside of MA, NH, or CT then i would say get your degree from bentley because no one is gonna know what suffolk is.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
No one asked what major?

I'll agree Bentley is respected more than Suffolk, but I see this too often... Please don't rely on the school who you write the checks to for a job after the 4 years. Work experiences/internships/networking can far surpass the credentials of the school.

Also, I've heard that if you go outside of the Massachusetts area, the resources and location of Suffolk could easily shine in the eyes of companies just as well. Education from the Boston area is highly regarded to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Jking2014
Private
Rep

Economics-Finance is my major here currently at Bentley. At Suffolk, I'd go back to Finance. Really, thanks everyone, any input is great.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
What did you decide?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
KFJ512a
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport

im currently at bentley. PM if you would like to meet up.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
No one asked what major?

I'll agree Bentley is respected more than Suffolk, but I see this too often... Please don't rely on the school who you write the checks to for a job after the 4 years. Work experiences/internships/networking can far surpass the credentials of the school.

Also, I've heard that if you go outside of the Massachusetts area, the resources and location of Suffolk could easily shine in the eyes of companies just as well. Education from the Boston area is highly regarded to begin with.
I have to disagree with you on that. Education in Boston is highly regard if you live or work in the Boston area. Once you start moving away from Boston only the truly good schools (out of 50+ schools in the Boston area) grab peoples attention.

Schools like:
Harvard
MIT
Tufts
Babson
Bentley
BC
BU
Northeastern
and maybe 1 or 2 more.

I spent most of my life living in Western MA and CT and even being only 2 hours from Boston, outside of the schools I mentioned the majority of people would not be impressed or hold you or your school in high regard just because your school is in Boston.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
willzim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340ix m-sport

You guys are fancy. I didn't make it past the 11th grade. Would any of you like fries with that?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #12
Jking2014
Private
Rep

I deferred at Bentley and can go back in the Spring. In the meantime I'll be at Suffolk taking classes and can try to transfer in another 10 credits at Bentley. Also going to apply to other schools and try to get some financial aid.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #13
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

The only reason I'm the world I've ever heard of Bentley was because of some guys I played hockey with! I lived all my life in NY and NJ, and never heard about it! Then again I never got hung up on schools and to be totally honest, when I hire folks for corporate Environmental Health & Safety compliance jobs, I want practical experience and not just a degree from an exclusive school. It looks nice but I could care less. Hired a bunch of kids from Dartmouth, Cornell and actually Princeton who have failed miserably professionally but mostly socially in my business.

I was accepted to and thinking about going to go to Penn State, SMU, Seton Hall, UNH, New Hampshire College, Western New England College.....then I decided to save serious money and double major at Rutgers University New Brunswick. Best choice I ever made in my life. Paid off my loans interest before I got out of school too!

To be honest, unless your going to law school, plan on getting your MBA or any other grad degree at a prestigious school, I don't think your undergrad choice matters at all. I actually got into Seton Hall Law about 6 years ago then decided not to go because my career was taking off.....I don't regret that for one second. There are more lawyers on law school then there are lawyer positions available right now.

Consider the debt you're gonna be in after and make a financially sound decision. College in general is a trap and most people don't get out of that hole.

I know lots of people that graduated from Princeton and lots of non New England IVY league schools that are unemployed or not working in their chosen field. It's a roll of the dice. Depends on what you want.

Now my wife on the other hand did 2 years of some college in NYC then went into finance. Worked her way up through a couple brokerages and firms on Wall Street, then to an AVP level at HSBC, then director level at Morgan Stanley. Specializing in futures, securities lending, and some other shit I don't understand. No student loan debt, can retire at 40 (she's 36 now) and making well over 100k a year and living comfortably. There are so many exceptions but honestly it's all in your people and problem solving skills.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Don't let cost be the driving factor, please. Bentley's name is definitely a lot more reputable and you should also be considering if you plan to do an accelerated program after to get your graduate degree. I know Bentley offers this program, I have a family member who has done it, she transferred from Suffolk after her first year to go to Bentley for both her undergraduate and graduate degree. That being said I know people whom have graduated from Suffolk that are doing extremely well. Everything is what you make of it. I ended up going to Syracuse University for my undergrad because of cost and although I don't regret it, there is definitely part of me that wishes I sucked up the cost and went to school at BU or NEU. Now I am pursuing my graduate degree at NEU.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
vmodi89
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

I cant speak for Suffolk but I know that having graduated from Bentley last December, the name itself has gotten me plenty far. I landed a great job in december just one week after my last class and its been amazing. Compared to some of my other friends, I have a 20% higher salary for the same work at similar companies. Also, the career services center at Bentley is one of the highest ranked in the country and are very helpful. Along with that, all the professors at Bentley have spent 20 years+ professionally in their fields relating to the classes they teach. I would say that Suffolk might have a better clubbing scene because of its location, but Bentley students definitely know how to work hard and play hard. Also, im still in the bentley area if anyone wants to meet up
Appreciate 0