F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Headlight adjustment required when lowering?
Studio RSR

09-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Headlight adjustment required when lowering?

I'm about 75% decided to have ACS springs installed on my F34. Will this require adjustment of the Xenon headlights?

If so, how difficult is this?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
tesm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
I'm about 75% decided to have ACS springs installed on my F34. Will this require adjustment of the Xenon headlights?

If so, how difficult is this?

TIA!
I did when I had eibach pro kit installed. Very simple job. There are two adjustments on each side - one for vertical and one for horizontal. I used a hexagon kit and a sharpie to mark a 12 o clock position so I know its position prior to an adjustment if i should bring it back up. I would go half a turn first.

check out this thread:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=742204
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Height Sensor reset using Rheingold (ISTA-D) to automatically adjust aim?

For those with LED/Xenon headlights (i.e. with F/R height sensors), resetting the height sensors using Rheingold (after changing the height) will automatically adjust the vertical aim of the headlight system so there may be no need to manually adjust.

My experience.....

Last summer after installing coilovers, I too manually adjusted the vertical aim of my headlights after lowering (~0.75" all around) by raising the beam by 3.5 - 4 turns.

But it has bothered me that the height sensors would not compensate for the change in static height. A couple of months ago I installed Rheingold and over the weekend, I was poking around and found a way to reset the height sensors.

At first when I tried to reset the height sensors, it would not reset and generated an error that I eventually tracked down to the rear level sensor voltage being too high to enable the reset to proceed (at 3.4 volts in a range 0.5v - 4.5v). I remembered when I installed the rears, the height sensor arm initially was pointed in the wrong direction and as a results, may have slightly bent the mounting bracket. After adjusting the bracket, the rear sensor voltage dropped to 3.1 volts and Rheingold was able to reset the height sensor levels. According to Rheingold, the headlight aim must be checked after a height sensor reset.

Last night, I checked the headlight aim to see if the reset made any difference. In my case, the aim was now too high and I had to lower the vertical aim by ~3 turns. The difference in the number of turns between raising and lowering aim can likely be explained by: 1) adjustment of the rear height sensor mounting bracket; 2) difference in aim of the headlights; 3) difference in suspension height due to settling, wheel alignment and measurement setup.

Larry