BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Exclamation Super scary moment today

Had a terrifying incident today as I was on my way to work. I took a small detour to go visit a friend and was waiting to make a left turn to a busier 3 lane road (with one of those reversible middle lanes).

1M was in normal (no "M", no "MDM") and I was just relaxed in work mode.

The light changed to green and I made the left turn to get on the right-most lane (middle lane was also reversed in my direction but I was going to make a right almost immediately).

As I was turning I noticed a red last-gen Camry speeding at me. It was in the middle lane which was actually reversed at the time. I assumed the driver made a mistake and would slow/switch lanes but almost immediately realized this wasn't going to happen. The car was NOT SLOWING DOWN AT ALL.

I did the only thing I could (more by instinct than thought): Gunned the engine and as the car started rotating. The Short wheelbase and the torque boost did the rest and the 1M pirouetted beautifully and the MORON in the Camry missed me by about 6 inches and kept on speeding away.I dialed-in maximum opposite lock and a dab of throttle to straighten the car. I pulled the car to the side, turned on the hazards and breathed deeply for a few minutes. A lot of people saw what happened and I heard them honking at the IDIOT who was already out of sight. I considered turning around and giving chase but decided (wisely) against doing something that dumb.

Just wanted to share that with you guys. Please be careful out there. More and more idiots are behind the wheel and there are more things to distract them.

On a final note, I LOVE THIS CAR!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Had a terrifying incident today as I was on my way to work. I took a small detour to go visit a friend and was waiting to make a left turn to a busier 3 lane road (with one of those reversible middle lanes).

1M was in normal (no "M", no "MDM") and I was just relaxed in work mode.

The light changed to green and I made the left turn to get on the right-most lane (middle lane was also reversed in my direction but I was going to make a right almost immediately).

As I was turning I noticed a red last-gen Camry speeding at me. It was in the middle lane which was actually reversed at the time. I assumed the driver made a mistake and would slow/switch lanes but almost immediately realized this wasn't going to happen. The car was NOT SLOWING DOWN AT ALL.

I did the only thing I could (more by instinct than thought): Gunned the engine and as the car started rotating. The Short wheelbase and the torque boost did the rest and the 1M pirouetted beautifully and the MORON in the Camry missed me by about 6 inches and kept on speeding away.I dialed-in maximum opposite lock and a dab of throttle to straighten the car. I pulled the car to the side, turned on the hazards and breathed deeply for a few minutes. A lot of people saw what happened and I heard them honking at the IDIOT who was already out of sight. I considered turning around and giving chase but decided (wisely) against doing something that dumb.

Just wanted to share that with you guys. Please be careful out there. More and more idiots are behind the wheel and there are more things to distract them.

On a final note, I LOVE THIS CAR!

WHEW! Glad your all good!

I bought my current 1M in Toronto and drove it from there all the way across the US to San Diego. I made it home safely with no damage. The first day I drive it home from work, young girl driving aggressively pulls up on my right. The light turns green and we roll normally. She comes up on a slower moving car and starts tailgating as I am passing on the left at 40 mph. Then all of sudden angrily cranks the wheel left into my lane. Thanks to the super fast rack, I swerve left into the shoulder that ends 50 ft in front of me and she just merrily continues on. I see her at the next light smiling and chatting with a friend and I think, oh, she must not even realize what she just did, the sees me looking at her and smiles and waves like no big deal.

Yes, the road is full of careless people, some that just make mistakes and yes plain idiots too. It's a scary world out there, stay safe!
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

scary posts, read them without breathing.

Correcting other drivers' lack of skills or arrogance is unfortunately part of the world out there. Glad you're OK.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Glad you are ok and no one was hurt. i think the camery's behavior is indicative of the fact that automatic transmissions make us worse drivers. it makes you pay less attention. i assume that driver wasnt all there or that they were asleep at the wheel but in the end all that matters is that you are ok.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Given that I ride a sport bike defensive driving is now instinct to the nth degree.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

You had all the nanny's on and the rear end spun out?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Great driver instincts, OP!
Puts a smile on my face knowing that 1M's are in such great hands!!!
      09-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Glad to see you're still in the 1M!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I think I need new rear tires?!?

I was also coming off a small incline as I was turning.

I can laugh about it now.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

What's up man?!? I'll be done with Grad school in December ... then I can actually do some track days again!

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Thanks Nacho. I am looking 4 times before I make any turns now!

Where's a bazooka when you need one?

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #12
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
What's up man?!? I'll be done with Grad school in December ... then I can actually do some track days again!
ha, that's where you've been hiding out! I'm doing days out in Cali now, moved to NorCal.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Sometimes I think our cars know about dangers and react as we need them to. I had a situation many years ago when I owned an 81 Nissan Maxima. One of my friends just bought a Mustang Gt and was showing off in town with a couple of our friends in the car. I was waiting in a parking spot in front of one of their houses when I saw the Mustang screaming down the road in my direction. The guy locks up the brakes at about 80mph and is skidding in my direction. I dropped the Maxima in drive and hammered it causing the tires to smoke, grip like a monster and literally jump out of the spot just in time for the mustang to hit the curb and stop dead into the spot I was in. The Maxima never took off like that and it was the only time it ever did, like it knew the danger. 10-15 minutes later the police came by and asked if we had seen a sports car driving "recklessly" through the neighborhood. Nope, I think it was a wreck as he messed up the wheels pretty bad on the curb, I didn't need to lie. If he would have asked if I saw a car driving "Wreckfully" I would have told him.

Bottom line, glad you are alright and no damage!
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Nice! Where in Nor Cal are you? Don't tell my current boss but I may be headed there soon

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

The Bay Area, a few mins from San Fran Let me know when you're headed out
Appreciate 0