E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Slipping clutch or something else?

09-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Slipping clutch or something else?

Hey gang, this is my first awd car and its been quite a learning experience understanding all the components in the drive line. I have a 6mt n55, FBO and meth at 65k kms all stock suspension components and clutch.

Recently ive noticed when racing from a dig (in a safe price environment of course), I launch it via slipping the clutch at around 3k, I go through first and second gear but when I bang it into third it just free revs and I need to let off the throttle for the clutch to catch again.

I'm pretty confident my clutch life is fine, but considering I'm pretty much capping out the stock turbo, I'm lacking clamping force during aggressive shifting. I'm just looking for some thoughts or confirmation that an aftermarket clutch such as spec stage 2+ would help for aggressive launches and shifting. If I'm already in gear and floor it I have no problems with slip, it only seems to happen when I strain the tranny from a dig, I'm guessing its heating things up too much and causing slip at the top of second gear or shifting into 3rd.

I've only ever owned manual transmission cars, the launch on these is pretty tricky and hit or miss for me as I'm still getting it down. It always seems to change as I add more power to the car.

So what's your thoughts on my symptoms? Definitely clutch? Or could it be something else that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
      09-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
mitchchizo22
Rep
Drives: looking for first e90

http://www.burgertuning.com/bmscdv.html

When you drop the clutch very abruptly as you would when launching the car or driving in an 'enthusiastic' manner the CDV essentially vetoes that by not allowing the clutch plates to clamp shut instantly, thus slipping the clutch a little and avoiding shock to the drivetrain.

Check this cheap and effective mod out if you already haven't done it before jumping into to a new clutch.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Sorry I forgot about that mod, it was one of the first things I did along with the clutch bumpstop.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

So I was at the drag strip last weekend and had the same issues after my first pass.

Aggressive shifting, perhaps with some "power shifting" but not much. If I go WOT right after or while engaging the clutch, it seems to free rev until I let off the throttle and it catches again.

I'm only looking to see if I have reached the stock clutch's clamping force or whether there may be another part in play that can be replaced? Again, there isnt any slip once it has already caught the clutch, only during the engagement of the clutch/next gear.

After my CDV mod, my mechanic told me the system had been bled, or perhaps he thought there wasn't a need for it. (He is quite reputable in my area for these cars so I trusted his word for it) would rebleeding the system be beneficial for my situations? Any ideas?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new clutch kit, but I dont want to if I dont have to, and if the problem may persist.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

If you want to find out if the clutch is holding go about 35 MPH and put it in 4th gear and give it wide open throttle.

If it slips there then you need a new clutch.

If it doesn't slip there then I would start with bleeding the clutch.

The Spec 2+ clutch kit is very popular and we recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If you want to find out if the clutch is holding go about 35 MPH and put it in 4th gear and give it wide open throttle.

If it slips there then you need a new clutch.

If it doesn't slip there then I would start with bleeding the clutch.

The Spec 2+ clutch kit is very popular and we recommend it.

Thanks for the tip Jeff, I just did that, 4th gear at ~60km/h had me at about 2k. I floored it and it shuttered like crazy, I let off immediately, I always thought that was an ignition/fuel problem, guess ive just confirmed my clutch is slipping? On my previous cars a clutch slip would almost feel like its disengaging during throttle, this was more of a violent shuttering. (?)

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
Thanks for the tip Jeff, I just did that, 4th gear at ~60km/h had me at about 2k. I floored it and it shuttered like crazy, I let off immediately, I always thought that was an ignition/fuel problem, guess ive just confirmed my clutch is slipping? On my previous cars a clutch slip would almost feel like its disengaging during throttle, this was more of a violent shuttering. (?)

Thanks for the input!
did the revs ever spike? i would start with bleeding the clutch and see what happens......its a lot simpler than swapping out a clutch. what you are describing doesnt seem like its the clutch slipping
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Yea I will start with bleeding it, there weren't rev spikes as if the clutch was slipping when I did what Jeff advised. They felt more misfirey lol, thats an issue on it's own.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

My car also has a shuddering when starting off from a stop. It's usually in first gear. I'm assuming I need to replace the clutch as well..
      10-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Thanks for the input!
Quote:
Yea I will start with bleeding it, there weren't rev spikes as if the clutch was slipping when I did what Jeff advised. They felt more misfirey lol, thats an issue on it's own.
For it to be the clutch the revs would need to rise without accelerating.

A slipping clutch basically feels like a free rev in neutral except you are in gear.

A shudder you speak of sounds like something else other then clutch but what I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
My car also has a shuddering when starting off from a stop. It's usually in first gear. I'm assuming I need to replace the clutch as well..
Not necessarily, it could just be a little worn on the disc/flywheel or hot spots causing a little bit of shuddering AKA clutch chatter.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

I bled my clutch and still the same issue, could it be the transfer case? Or maybe this worm gear ive read about but am unsure of what problems it causes before it goes?

Any other advice I can use to hunt this sucker down?

Last edited by Dhillon92; 10-20-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
butanmist
In search of MT parts
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I had something similar to what you are describing and I would check your plugs and/or injectors. In mine I'm at 122k on my 2011 and its a 328 xi but same symptoms and it was just a bad plug.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by butanmist
I had something similar to what you are describing and I would check your plugs and/or injectors. In mine I'm at 122k on my 2011 and its a 328 xi but same symptoms and it was just a bad plug.
Did you get any misfire ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Can anyone confirm if this is the worm gear from the tcase motor being worn? Would it necesareily always throw a code if it was the problem?

Anyone who has replaced the wormgear or actuator motor experience similar symptoms? Once upon a time I floored it and got the awd Christmas lights on my dash, restarted and they were all gone, I'm going to assume worm gear for now, but before I pay my Indy for any labour I want to confirm if it would be the cause?
Appreciate 0