F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sports Suspension Settings?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-21-2015, 02:54 AM   #1
BlockyZed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116D

M Sports Suspension Settings?

Last edited by BlockyZed; 07-29-2018 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 03:28 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperRad View Post
Can you still adjust ride comfort without standard M Sports suspension (passive)?

I've specced Adaptive suspension currently on my F32/420D quote (with 19" wheels), based on the assumption that this will allow me to select comfort mode when I'm on a long/tiring journey to even out the bumps, and select a sportier harsher ride when I feel like it.

Is that logic correct?

I'm assuming with standard M Sport suspension, it's firmer ride without the ability to change?

Thanks
Yes you do need the adaptive suspension to get a comfort ride mode. The M-sport suspension (704) is simply a one setting 'passive' suspension as you rightly say.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:47 AM   #3
bovino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36, 2017 i3 REx

I have the same question because I've heard that the M-sport suspension is a sportier single-mode. We test drove a car that supposedly had the default M-sport and the driving dynamics mode selector indicated that it was changing suspension settings. I questioned the dealer asking if that car had adaptive and he said no. For whatever it is worth, the BMW website description states both versions utilize electronically controlled dampers.

I'm left with either my dealer didn't know what option was in the car (while the website is wrong) or,something changed in 2016 about this option. F36 in my case.

Last edited by bovino; 09-21-2015 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovino View Post
I have the same question because I've heard that the M-sport suspension is a sportier single-mode. We test drove a car that supposedly had the default M-sport and the driving dynamics mode selector indicated that it was changing suspension settings. I questioned the dealer asking if that car had adaptive and he said no. For whatever it is worth, the BMW website description states both versions utilize electronically controlled dampers.

I'm left with either my dealer didn't know what option was in the car (while the website is wrong) or, something changed in 2016 about this option. F36 in my case.
M-sport suspension (option 704) has no active/configurable parts. If a car with 704 has the option to configure the chassis and/or drivetrain, the steering is the only function changing status on toggling the 'chassis' modes.

It is the option package which typically gives the configurable modes via iDrive. The SAT gearbox option (2TB) can in some models give the added configuration menu for chassis and/or drivetrain. Still only the steering which changes on the mode switch.

Here in the UK, Adaptive M-sport suspension (option 2VF) is the only option to get active damping. In other markets (like the US) there is the DHP package which combines Adaptive M-sport suspension (2VF) with VSS (2VL) giving the active suspension.

As to the actual suspension feel, remember the active suspension works on the principle of "soft where possible, firm when necessary", even within the different modes. So will feel different even to a similar passive suspension setting. Therefore there will be different user views on whether the active sport setting is softer or firmer than the passive sport suspension.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
BlockyZed
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperRad View Post
Thanks, really useful info.
Does that mean the suspension is reacting the road surface when in a selected mode. I.e in sport mode, what will happen if I go over a pot hole?

Thanks!
It works on the basis there is a damper characteristic curve map for each mode (Comfort & Sport). Continuously active, therefore there is not an uncontrolled 'passive' setting for each mode, both 'maps' are under Vertical Dynamics Control (VDC).

Take your pothole example, in theory the damping would be at the softer end of the damping curve as you drive a steady smooth road, you hit the pothole with the front wheel and therefore the impact should be less than a firmer passive setting. Also before the rear wheel hits the same hole the damping can be adjusted, softened even more if the sensors/software programming interpret that as the appropriate reaction.

As another example, a quick tug on the steering (like in an evasive manoeuvre) will firm up the appropriate dampers in milliseconds to assist in slowing load transfer, or under heavy braking the damping will firm up to assist with controlling brake dive.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the information. What is adding to the confusion is that this the description when you build a vehicle with M-Sport suspension online at BMWUSA.com:

"Technically advanced suspension system incporates electronically controlled dampers that adapt to the style of the drive and driving conditions. Slightly lowers the vehicle without sacrificing ride comfort."
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
BlockyZed
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Thanks for the information. What is adding to the confusion is that this the description when you build a vehicle with M-Sport suspension online at BMWUSA.com:

"Technically advanced suspension system incporates electronically controlled dampers that adapt to the style of the drive and driving conditions. Slightly lowers the vehicle without sacrificing ride comfort."
I have the base model and the following false information is direct from my manual (I underlined the relevant info.). Nowhere does it say "if so equipped" like all my other cars' manuals:

SPORT
Consistently sporty tuning of the suspension
and engine control for greater driving agility
with maximum driving stabilization
The program can be configured to individual
specifications. The configuration is stored for
the remote control currently in use.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
I have the base model and the following false information is direct from my manual (I underlined the relevant info.). Nowhere does it say "if so equipped" like all my other cars' manuals:

SPORT
Are you sure?

US User Manual I'm looking at has the comment "depending on the equipment"... Makes all the difference.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you sure?

US User Manual I'm looking at has the comment "depending on the equipment"... Makes all the difference.

HighlandPete
Fair enough. I guess that was good enough for the lawyers, but it seems that most would assume by reading the manual that you don't need anything special in order for the suspension to be affected by the "SPORT" selection. As a matter of fact, there is nothing in the entire manual that mentions an adaptive suspension, or a sport suspension for that matter.

In all my other manuals, when a function is described that isn't standard, it says "if so equipped" or words to that effect next to it .
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

The website is wrong. It's irritating, because it's been that way for a long time.

The naming of the suspensions doesn't help. The static 704 sport suspension is called the M Sport suspension and the adaptive suspension is called the Adaptive M suspension. The use of the "M" moniker mostly serves to make things confusing.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
bovino
Private First Class
Rep

Given that the selector even says it makes a change...even more confusion. Could 2016 be different?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Given that the selector even says it makes a change...even more confusion. Could 2016 be different?
The only way you'll get the adaptive suspension is if the hardware is there. Best to check the actual specification using the VIN.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
The only way you'll get the adaptive suspension is if the hardware is there. Best to check the actual specification using the VIN.

HighlandPete
Or better yet, could look for pics on these forums of the damper, controller and wires and turn front wheel of the car to just look at the parts installed...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Or better yet, could look for pics on these forums of the damper, controller and wires and turn front wheel of the car to just look at the parts installed...
Yes!!! Where can i find these pics?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #17
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Quote:
M-sport suspension (option 704) has no active/configurable parts. If a car with 704 has the option to configure the chassis and/or drivetrain, the steering is the only function changing status on toggling the 'chassis' modes.

It is the option package which typically gives the configurable modes via iDrive. The SAT gearbox option (2TB) can in some models give the added configuration menu for chassis and/or drivetrain. Still only the steering which changes on the mode switch.

Here in the UK, Adaptive M-sport suspension (option 2VF) is the only option to get active damping. In other markets (like the US) there is the DHP package which combines Adaptive M-sport suspension (2VF) with VSS (2VL) giving the active suspension.

As to the actual suspension feel, remember the active suspension works on the principle of "soft where possible, firm when necessary", even within the different modes. So will feel different even to a similar passive suspension setting. Therefore there will be different user views on whether the active sport setting is softer or firmer than the passive sport suspension.

HighlandPete
I'm looking to get out of my e92 and into an F3X model in the coming months. I definitely have to have the M Sport model, but I've heard you cannot put coilovers on with the Dynamic Handling Package. Is this correct? If so I will want to avoid ordering that extra feature being that I want to install coilovers, correct? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #18
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Fly
Quote:

HighlandPete
I'm looking to get out of my e92 and into an F3X model in the coming months. I definitely have to have the M Sport model, but I've heard you cannot put coilovers on with the Dynamic Handling Package. Is this correct? If so I will want to avoid ordering that extra feature being that I want to install coilovers, correct? Thanks.
Don't order the Track package or the stand alone adaptive suspension and you'll be fine.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:40 AM   #19
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Quote:

SPORT
Quote:
Fair enough. I guess that was good enough for the lawyers, but it seems that most would assume by reading the manual that you don't need anything special in order for the suspension to be affected by the "SPORT" selection. As a matter of fact, there is nothing in the entire manual that mentions an adaptive suspension, or a sport suspension for that matter.

In all my other manuals, when a function is described that isn't standard, it says "if so equipped" or words to that effect next to it .
Their language is indeed frustrating, in that it's almost meaningless given the wide array of configurations available. I interpret "Consistently sporty tuning of the suspension..." to mean it's static, i.e., it does not have Dynamic Damper Control, Electronic Damper Control or Adaptive M suspension. "Sporty" is merely fluff here, as in, "Trust us, it's a sporty ride."

The follow-on language, "...and engine control..." goes on to describe the fact that by pushing the "sport" button, you get different engine mapping and transmission shift points (presuming it's an automatic).
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Don't order the Track package or the stand alone adaptive suspension and you'll be fine.
But... I want those damn Brembros.

This is no good.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
But... I want those damn Brembros.

This is no good.
I know. It hurts. I ordered my 2016 without the blue m sport brakes to avoid the VSS and save a 1k (to get 19s and adaptive suspension w/o track pack) Fortunately even though the stock unpainted brembos don't look as good they still are beefy enough to fill the space inside/behind the 403m 19s I ordered
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Fly View Post
If you're doing coil-overs, then you'll be removing the OEM parts.
The worst that can happen is a warning light regarding the adaptive suspension of the car is equipped with DHP.
Appreciate 0