F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&r Spring Install Stuck Need Help!!! Urgent!!
GetBMWParts

09-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

H&r Spring Install Stuck Need Help!!! Urgent!!

I have been doing my own spring install in my garage and everything was going well. I got both rears and the front passenger side done. I won't say no problems but once I got the hang of it, it went a bit smoother. The problem that I have run into is that I can't for the life of me get the strut back under the fender on the front driver's side. I have already swapped the oem spring for the H&R spring and have it seated in the pinch clamp. It just seems no matter what I try I can't even get close to getting the top of the strut mount close the the opening where the strut sit under the fender I've been following the DIY write up that another memeber did for his dinan springs install. Can someone shed some light on this as my car is inoperable at the moment. I've tried turning the wheel left and right they say that when working on the drivers side to turn the wheel all the way to the right to drop the strut as low as possible but when I do that and then try and push the whole strut up and towards the opening under the fender it just goes strait up and hit the fender directly above. Is it possible that the drive shaft or something got out of place that is preventing my from being able to freely swing the strut in?? The passenger side went ALOT smoother than this and I have been struggling with this for about 3 hours now! Someone please help!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Try rotating the hub as you push up on the suspension arms. Suspect it's related to the halfshaft interfering.

Last edited by jww///95; 09-23-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

Probably the axle poped out of the differencial and now it's pushing the hub outwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I installed the Bilstein PSS10 in my F30 with no problem clearing the fender. A picture would help us see what problem you are having.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

Thanks for the reply guys! It ended up being the drive shaft, it somehow "popped out" and once I gave it a small turn it slid in several inches giving me the clearance I needed to get under the fender. Whew!! Springs are now on and the car looks so much better!! Saved $500 on the install too which is nice
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
Thanks for the reply guys! It ended up being the drive shaft, it somehow "popped out" and once I gave it a small turn it slid in several inches giving me the clearance I needed to get under the fender. Whew!! Springs are now on and the car looks so much better!! Saved $500 on the install too which is nice
Glad it worked out. Looks like you have xdrive. I installed my KW V3s 2 weeks ago, luckily had no such issue. Congrats to your accomplishments!
Appreciate 0