BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

"Clink" sound when entering driveway at angle or on some bumps

I started to hear a light metallic "clink" sound when entering a driveway at an angle or hitting a bumpy patch on the road. It wasn't a clunk or anything horrible but noticeable to me so I took in to have it checked. The tech heard it and all they say they did was re-torque suspension components. They didn't find anything loose or damaged or broken. They say they just retorqued the front suspension and the sound is gone. The car only has 12500 and my previous 1M went 14K miles and didn't have that issue. So I am just curious if anyone else has had something similar?

I googled this and read that some 135i owners had something similar and they speculated worn sway bar bushings or swaybar end-links but as I said, it only had 8800 miles last month and the last 3800 miles were all highway miles driving from Toronto to San Diego.

Anyway, posting to see if anyone else had this issue and as reference in case it happens to someone here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I started to hear a light metallic "clink" sound when entering a driveway at an angle or hitting a bumpy patch on the road. It wasn't a clunk or anything horrible but noticeable to me so I took in to have it checked. The tech heard it and all they say they did was re-torque suspension components. They didn't find anything loose or damaged or broken. They say they just retorqued the front suspension and the sound is gone. The car only has 12500 and my previous 1M went 14K miles and didn't have that issue. So I am just curious if anyone else has had something similar?

I googled this and read that some 135i owners had something similar and they speculated worn sway bar bushings or swaybar end-links but as I said, it only had 8800 miles last month and the last 3800 miles were all highway miles driving from Toronto to San Diego.

Anyway, posting to see if anyone else had this issue and as reference in case it happens to someone here.

Thanks
I forgot to warn you that you that since your car is from a cold/snow climate, you should try to remove your wheels as they may have rusted themselves onto the hubs. I broke mine free by slightly loosening the bolts and then going for a short drive. There maybe other methods better than mine.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Mine spent most of its winters inside. Nonrust hubs luckily. It might have seen snow once or twice but not much.

Anyway weird that re-torquing when nothing loose fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
How well did you know the prior owner? Any chance they had aftermarket suspension bits that were removed prior to sale? They may not have properly torqued everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
How well did you know the prior owner? Any chance they had aftermarket suspension bits that were removed prior to sale? They may not have properly torqued everything.
Yes. Possible. I felt pretty comfortable with the previous owner and he told me it was always stick. He had dedicated track Cayman so feel pretty about him.
Appreciate 0